Gibson Les Paul Studio or Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Carroll1218, May 13, 2008.

1. Davey Rockets

Davey Rockets Senior Member

ya know, agreeing with everybody just isn't very original ;) .. but, I gotta agree with a lot of information already posted.

Given the choice between a Studio and regular Epi, I'd rather have a used Studio than a new Epi. (and a chorus of "well-duhhhhs" rise up).

However, as many others have said, the Epi Elitist is an Epi in a league of it's own, and is very worthy of consideration. ("Elitist - those who know, know")

I have both a Studio and an Elitist, and they're equal in value to me... they both provide different flavors of what they do, but they're both very good flavors.

Hbucker had a VERY good point about amps vs. guitars too. As you only have a finite amount of money to spend, you don't want to cheap out on the amp, so you have quite a few factors to consider. A regular Epi can always be upgraded down the road when you have a little extra cash... but a used Elitist is probably real close in price to a new Epi.

2. sdiggz

sdiggz Senior Member

I finally decided to got with the Gib Studio after just playing it about 45 mins ago. I couldn't put it down, i didn't like the lighter weight at first but that light son of a bitch had a growl like anyone who would want any Les Paul wants to hear. Epiphone won to me on the weight but the Gib was extremely comfy to play. D.Y.K all gibson necks are first cut using a computer but then a real person does the final neck shaping an a belt sander so there are NO two alike?
    I like the idea the money is going to an american worker's paycheck too
    haven't played an elitist because my shop here doesn't have them

3. Davey Rockets

Cool! Nice score!:applause: Post pics when you get a chance.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Congrats - pix for sure!

5. LPJones

LPJones Senior Member

Are you answering in a thread that someone else started or are you the same person with a different account?

6. sdiggz

sdiggz Senior Member

I was trying to answer the original thread "gibson les paul studio or epiphone les paul standard". rather new to this sorry

7. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

lol no prob man just crackin some nuts!

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I didn't even notice that - good call Jones!

Diggz - still, congrats on the new axe!

9. Davey Rockets

..and I thought I was only slightly losing my mind. ;)

10. R.L.

R.L. Senior Member

Cool,Welcome,their all good guitars you just found one that spoke to you.

11. LPJones

LPJones Senior Member

Not a biggie, from the way you answered I thought you were the original poster, and then I checked the names and they were different, so I was confused and needed to ask the question.

Its all good

12. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

I played on high end epis in the store before trying the VM. The VM blew me away. The only thing lacks is a fancy paint job, and a binding. I actually like the worn cherry look that mine came with. I actually like VM's better than regular studios.

13. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

I own a Vintage Mahogany and a Les Paul Special (P90). I havent had a chance to put the Special against Maple topped P90 LPs, but Ive heard my VM against Epis. High and Low end.

I cant see paying that much for an Epi when a Gibson VM can be had for so much less and IMO sounds so much better. Still, I recommend you try for yourself.

And... when shooting out, put everything on the same amp under the same settings.

Good luck, and enjoy.

14. dave

dave Senior Member

Sorry, I think they are pure UGLY! I would love to get a Gibson LP for the price of the VM, but I can't stand the look. Epis give most of the tone, vibe, & feel plus pretty finishes. That's why I didn't get a VM.

15. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Oh man, the VM Studio is the absolute best guitar out there for the money IMO. My local shop still sell the Worn Brown for $699 with case, and $749 for the Worn Cherry with case. HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT? I still went with an 06' Standard, as it overall sounded the best to me, and hell it doesn't look too shabby either, but I spent $1200 more on it than I would have on the VM Studio. The one thing that I actually prefer on the VM Studio over the Standard is the FEEL of the faded finish. MUCH smoother, WAY faster, WAY less sticky than the Standard's nitro. That feel of the finish, the quality of the guitar (pertaining to that you actually found that "right one" for you), the woods used, and the BB Pro Pickups, and the HSC, is the best "Player's LP" value period. I like to consider myself a "player", as I have played live extensively in the past and am going to be again in weeks, play daily, and record often. BUT, buying my first LP this year after wanting one for so long, I had to satisfy my "first LP bug" with a real deal Standard that was up to "my standards". It's much nicer of a guitar than I've ever owned, and it is inspiring to play. The VM Studio where not universally inspiring by its looks, is a JOY to play and hear. This guitar will be my #1b guitar, and may actually get more play time where I would not be afraid at all of dinging it up. Hell, I'll still buy an Epi Custom eventually though, as they are still GREAT guitars.

16. jeremy9222

jeremy9222 Senior Member

Standard !!!! A Paul isn't a Paul without a binding :p or thats how always saw it :)

17. sdiggz

sdiggz Senior Member

hey guys I can't figure out how to post pics that are not from a website. I took some shots with a camera, then uploaded them onto my mac, and when i click the little yellow box with the mountain, it asks for a URL. Bobbo said there is a help thread in the intros section and I can't find either so i just put one of my pics as my sig

18. voxac30dude

voxac30dude Senior Member

dude if i were you i would get the epiphone les paul plain top and use the other half of your money to get a tube amp. DON'T SETTLE FOR A SOLID STATE AMP THEY SUCK!!!!. you should get a peavy classic 30, fender hot rod deluxe or a vox ac15. they usually sell in the $600 price range. a good tube amp will make a decent guitar sound really awsome. the plain top sells for about just under $500. have fun hunting for gear:)

19. dcmey

dcmey Senior Member

A Vox AD30VT or the 50 watt are very nice hybrid amps. They are solid state but have tubes in the pre amp which gives that tube sound at a reasonable price.

20. goldencd

goldencd Senior Member

Elitist. ebay used.

[​IMG]

Then take the extra money you save and buy a set of WB pickups. Will beat most standards and studio (except dcmey's :) )