Gibson les paul standard faded??

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by noisemaker, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Justin_Case

Justin_Case Senior Member

#112 was sold through Rumbleseat Music in Ithica when new, I was at least the 3rd owner. Somewhere along the line the knobs were changed and the Ring removed and the amber Switch Tip was put on.

[​IMG]

The above pics are from C*V Guitars - Corsa LCPG Guitars - I have #10 since June and am waiting on the 2 pictured above.

2. Metlupass2

Metlupass2 Senior Member

Those look killer....what are they?

3. Rodolphe

Rodolphe Senior Member

4. Justin_Case

These are 2 guitars that Larry Corsa builds at CV Guitars - Home.

Larry built a name for himself by modifying Les Pauls to get the Peter Green tone. Larry has modified almost 300 Gibsons and the Standard Faded he felt was the best sounding Gibson ever made. Here you can see the Gibson's he done
    C*V Guitars - "PG Mod" Guitars

Since there were no more Standard Faded in production, Larry set out to build his own guitar. I had a Standard Faded and had him mod a regular 2007 for me, but after getting one of his builds last summer I ended up ordering these two recently and sold off the Gibsons. Here is the new line - C*V Guitars - Corsa LCPG Guitars

5. Rodolphe

Rodolphe Senior Member

Stupid question.

do the faded "fades" in the sun?

I mean if you let a faded facing the sun, will the colors change, or fade, or won't it do anything like on recent standard LPs?

6. Justin_Case

Just my thoughts - the coloring was " hand stained " vs sprayed - not a different product. This finish is the same, just less of it and not buffed to a high shine.

This IMHO would make it fade in UV Sunlight like a regular LP, perhaps even easier.

7. Justin_Case

Just a PSA - C*V Guitars - "PG Mod" Guitars I traded in #112 (above) and 275 to Larry.

With me owning #10 and 2 more Corsas in the hopper, a couple of other CV Mods, and an eye to the future on a Corsa P90 in this spring, these 2 would not get the loving play time they should.

#275 This one is what I call my " Sleeper " - from the surface, not a CV PG mod. A great gloss top Honeyburst with a very 3D flame and I had Larry use bright hardware too.

It was a good player before Larry work his magic on it - after a great player.

[​IMG]

I though both would be life long guitars, and the only reason for letting them go are the Corsa guitars in the stable.

Gibson Les Paul Standard, non-Faded LCPG-275, all switch positions - YouTube

8. edculwick

edculwick Junior Member

.. can't get the photo to work, nvm[​IMG]

9. BrownGizmo

BrownGizmo Member

i love this thread!

my '05 Faded (PG mod by Larry Corsa)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. rvschulz

rvschulz Senior Member

i'm in the club now too. 05 honey burst std faded. sold off my strats and wanted a 2nd LP to play with - always wanted a burst of some sort but when i went to the local GC, nothing sounded good. i am not inherently looking for a certain 'look' - i want the sound.

all of the new LPs sounded thin. they were even thinner when equipped with the coil splitting option. this one was in the used 'rack' ... 2 minutes and i knew it was what i was looking for. here is a crappy blurry cell phone pic.

[​IMG]

11. Arthur

Arthur Senior Member

I love fadeds wish they were still made.

12. masliko

masliko Senior Member

Be very careful when buying these second hand,i nearly got burnt on a fake and so did my mate.

They were very good too,lucky i wasn't in hurry on the day i went and looked at it.

13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Fake as in how? a real Les Paul but refinished to be a faded? or a fake all around?

14. Rodolphe

Rodolphe Senior Member

never seen a Chibson faded.
    i think it's hard to reproduce this finish with poly

15. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

That's what I thought too.

16. sttar

sttar Senior Member

very nice top

17. xkcdone

xkcdone Junior Member

[​IMG]

My '05 Tobacco burst. Love it to bits.
    As an S-type player for the past 15 years this guitar has turned it upside-down for me. :D

EDIT: Didn't realise it's a necro thread. :D

Craig Sock likes this.
  18. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Lost to a split up, but.... I have (had?) a tobacco burst LP Std Faded. Great guitar.

I put a gloss finish over the top of mine. Used Deft "satin" (which dried rock hard). Then polished it out by hand. The result looked like a sort of not quite mirror finish. Looked very old, which was something I liked.

Got talking to a Gibby Nashville employee online about the finish on mine - basically because he saw the picture of it, and wanted to know where I got the guitar. Reason was, they made up a few just like it, "almost gloss" top, and the rest of the guitar standard "faded", for Hank Williams Jr. He didn't know that any more were made like that, so we began to chat about how mine came to be. In the midst of that conversation, I got a little factoid, that is rather interesting. If you look at the bobbins, the creme and black positions are "reversed" from what Gibson normally does on zebra pickups. IOW, at that time at least, the creme bobbin had the screws, and black had the slugs. When they did the promotional photography at Nashville, they didn't have any pickups ready yet with that combination - except for the Tak Matsumoto pickups. So... they stuck some BB-Tak #1 and #2 pickups in the guitar they used on the promo shots (the shots you see online and are in use by retailers). When they finally went into production, the first 150-175 guitars were assembled wrongly, with BB-Tak pickups. Gibson caught the error and actually reworked quite a few guitars before shipping. However, a few, some unknown number, maybe 75 to 90 guitars, left the factory to dealerships with BB-Tak pickups. And yes, my pickups are BB-Tak #1 and #2, right on the labels. When I put the gloss on top, I had no idea what a BB-Tak was, never heard of Tak Matsumoto!

The BB-Tak pickups are simply wax potted versions of the Burst-Bucker pickups.

So.... if you have a real early production LP Std Faded..... better go check that pickup sticker! Ya might have one that "escaped" like mine did.

19. Craig Sock

Craig Sock Seen my keys?

Jesus

20. theroan

theroan Senior Member

[​IMG]
    2007 Honeyburst

Thunder Dump likes this.