Gibson Les Paul Gold Top

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by HeatMan011, May 8, 2012.

1. HeatMan011

HeatMan011 Junior Member

hey guys, this is my first post here.. I wish it wouldnt be my last.. :)

anyway Im from Belgrade, Serbia, and there is a guitar that is being sold by some guy in a nearby city..

Now, the guitar is supposed to be a gibson lp gold top from 70's.. 78,79 i suppose.. The back side was refurbished, and the pups are some seymore duncans.. and I cant see the serial number on the back of the headstock.. And under that, where it should say made in usa, there is just USA..

the price is just 850e. Now, I dont mind the price ofcourse, but Im thinking that this could be a scam of some sort..

I couldnt say that Im new to gibsons, because I didnt ever consider buying one before a few months ago.. Im mainly a strat/musicman guy.. And I wanted to buy some dual humbucker guitar (I would of prefered the g&l deluxe with coil tap option) and a p90 guitar..

I was very interested in lp studio 60s tribute, but I played it.. and yes it did sound ok, but it felt strange.. Maby 'cause of the baked maple fretboard, dunno.. It just felt cheap, but the sound was very nice, and I liked the satin finish.. So I figured that I dont want my axe to fall apart in a few years..

So, would you recommend this guitar to me? Its in another city so I need to get somebody to drive me over there (I dont have a permit), and I already had bad experience with testing guitars/amps in some other cities.. I always come back empty handed.. :/

if not, what guitar should I look for (in a <1000 euros price range) for that lp p90 or vintage hum sound?

here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  2. zslane

zslane Senior Member

I am going to say this one isn't a genuine Gibson.

1. The logo shouldn't be gold silkscreen, and the "Les Paul model" does not look like the correct script to me.
    2. The "USA" on the back doesn't resemble anything I've ever seen Gibson put on the back of their Les Pauls.
    3. The tuners are not engraved like Klusons.
    4. The bridge is not angled like it should be.

3 people like this.
  3. HeatMan011

HeatMan011 Junior Member

exactly what I was thinking! thanks!

Ok, another question then.. what would you recommend to me? I need a p90 lp, but the special (without a carved top) just looks awful to me..

And to be honest, gibson guitars seem a bit overpriced for the quality.. Not that they are bad guitars, but they are overpriced IMHO. (for a average 300e a month serbian salary)

Im a blues/funk/rock/pop player.. (think john mayer, sean costello, eric gales, tower of power) lol

is there a good copy of a LP w/ p90s? Tokai? Schecter? Sure, I want the real thing, but I dont want to sell my body parts to get it

4. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Senior Member

5. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Fake

No headstock 'wings'
    USA is wrong
    Also, if it was a goldtop from this era, it would have the oversized headstock

1 person likes this.
  7. brokenarrow5

brokenarrow5 Senior Member

another scam diverted by your good friends at MLP!!!!

8. Arthur

Arthur Senior Member

I know we've already determined that it's but look at the les Paul model script, the spacing between that and the truss rod cover is way off!

9. 02589

02589 Senior Member

I'm pretty much a noob myself. I noticed that it seemed to fit the case strangely. Then I started to see which frets the body meets the neck at.

Without knowing what case is being used, is it accurate to judge any Les Paul on the fret position at the end of the body as a tool to watch for a fake?

10. 1958ri

1958ri Member

Chinese sourced.

11. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

not even close to being believable

12. AxeBuilder

AxeBuilder Senior Member

Fake!

I would recommend the Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute with P90's, it's a great guitar!

1 person likes this.
  13. Epi rocks

Epi rocks Senior Member

Obvious fake man. Don't do it!!

Paul

14. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

Mozda si vec skonto da bi bilo bolje da ga nekupis, sretno!

15. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Premium Member

Access covers on the back are the wrong color too.

16. suedehead

suedehead Senior Member

Christ the high E tuner isn't on straight.

Wait, does that make it genuine or not????!!!

17. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

BL, I was going to chime in that we have another MLP'er from the region.

I don't think that the guitars for sale in the US, especially on ebay are going to be reasonable for OP, when you factor in the cost of getting it to Serbia. Also, can you imagine someone bids on your expensive ebay item and then wants it shipped to Serbia? No offense Heatman, it is just that US-based ebay sellers tend to prefer not to ship internationally, there are too many complications.

Heatman, if I were you, I would look for a real good, used player (a guitar that plays great) and is on the heavy side. I think that the flat top LPs are great but I can understand your perspective. Anyhow, find a beefy guitar that you enjoy playing (forget about what it looks like, for now) and pop in one or two p-90s. If the guitar is hideous (color/finish), strip it, spray paint it black and top it with four or five coats of clear and you are in business. You can get a pro-like finish with $10 worth of stuff from the hardware store (if you do it right).

1 person likes this.
  18. DanL

DanL Senior Member

+1 And the case is way off.

19. bbutler123

bbutler123 Senior Member

Get an Epiphone, man. They are a Gibson company, and I trust them a LOT. Some Epiphones even say 'Gibson' on them. I don't think Gibson would allow them to let junk go out of the Epiphone factory.

I have had a number of Epiphone Les Pauls and Gibson Les Pauls (and other Gibsons and Epiphones, not just Les Pauls), and I can tell you that there is either little or NO difference in the quality of the sound or playability --there might be one thing though...you might want to get different pickups if you buy an Epiphone. Some of their pickups just aren't as good as Gibson (some people would never notice the difference though).

You could buy an Epiphone and change the pickups next year, if you want.

But I have had Epiphones which I liked just as much as my Gibsons, believe me.

20. HeatMan011

HeatMan011 Junior Member

Thanks everybody for your help!
    Hvala takodje i tebi komshija!

yeah.. I had that problems before.. when I was ordering an mm stingray 5 and heritage h535 from US.. we dont have paypal here, and thats a big problem to US sellers, but I've convinced them that Im a cool guy, and that I won't make any problems..

Well I dont really want to buy a gibson les paul with p90s.. if there is a chance to do that for a ok price, then ok.. if not, **** it.. I seriously dont need gibson logo on my headstock, I have 2 fender cs strats and a mm luke, so I really dont need to prove myself with that.. And, again.. I just bought that guitars because of the tone that I was getting.. Ill be probabbly getting rid of the mm luke (I started to hate those emgs for some reason) and get an axis or steve morse model (the first one, not the y2k or whatever)

So yeah, I need a serious sounding instrument.. it could be handcrafted by some guy in etiopia.. I dont care, if the neck is ok and the sound is good, and its intonation is good, I'ld buy it.. but if Im gonna buy a slab of wood with strings on it, I would get an tele..

thanks a lot guys! I think Im gonna be looking into those edwards..

edit: I've tried some epiphones, higher range ones.. didnt like them.. they just didnt feel right.. cant explain it, really.. gibson studio 60s tribute didnt feel right.. My friend has a les paul studio, black with white pickguard.. looks beautiful but it is too heavy, and I didnt like the tone at all from those hb's.. but then again, I played some great older lps.. and Im really not an lp guy so Im not really THAT competent.. I judge guitars by ear

btw, IMHO I would always go for a lighter guitar.. It never failed me.. not with my mm luke, neither with my john mayer sign. strat