Gibson Les Paul 101

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Tim Plains, Jul 1, 2009.

1. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Senior Member

September 25, 2006 for my Chambered Standard...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/87875-ngd-2006-standard-ebony.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gib...-opinion-asap-pending-purchase-chambered.html

2. NettoCPS

NettoCPS Junior Member

I need some info on this Les Paul Alpine White I just got.

I see Its a CS52314 so it would be 2005 and the numbers of it made right? The certificate says it's hand-built by the historic plant so I'm confused about being a historic or not. I also see two "tops" on the back and in the front of the guitar is that correct? Can someone help me out with more info. I don't know much about Les Paul's. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

It is a 2005. CS5 could also be a 2015 but they have different certificates.

It's not a historic. That's just the name of the Custom Shop.

The two-piece top is normal. I think the common belief is that Customs have one-piece mahogany bodies but it's hard to tell since most are painted over. I guess it's possible that some have two-piece bodies. If you see a line going down the body, then it must be.

4. Jjungema

Jjungema Junior Member

awesome info thank you!

5. NettoCPS

NettoCPS Junior Member

Thanks for the Info

For what I can see here its one piece. Its a great guitar, but only whish Gibson would put bettter electronics in it, gibston pots on a custom shop guitar is so ****ty cost saving option in my opinion.

Is it worth upgrading to the RS kit with the CTS Pots and the .22 an .15 Uf caps?

Thanks (Sorry to ask this but dont) know much about electronics.

Thanks

6. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I wonder where Gibson gets those ****ty pots from???

7. Spiderbob

Spiderbob Junior Member

Thanks for the awesome thread!

8. DaddywantsaBatmobile

DaddywantsaBatmobile Junior Member

Fantastic info and learned a lot just from this one thread. Just bought my first LP, so this 101 has just filled my head space very nicely. I now have a 2010 Studio Ebony 60's Tribute, with a dodgy output jack and strings are 10's methinks (bit too heavy for my fingers). It's the one with P90 Pups and the 'worn' look and it sounds like a dream. Good entry level for my first I thought, just needs a slightly better set up to make me happier. So first job, I am now gonna drop a string size and fix the jack. I don't mind the small issues, cause the guitar was a steal. One thing, although the seller threw in a HC it's too big, so what is a better case to look out for in the UK on a budget? Or should I just go to a local GC and try some? (Not too many in my city tho).

DSC_1766[1].jpg DSC_1769[1].jpg

9. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

After looking at the weight-relieved x-ray on Tim's OP (excellent photo!), it seems to me that there isn't much "weight relieved" in those 9 little holes. Half a pound maybe? But more likely a better balanced guitar is the desired outcome...

10. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Try Gear4music. I got a nice SG case with a mock croc skin look from them.