Gibson Kills Another...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by drkato, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

If Gib bought GM, I'd dump my Trailblazer.

2. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

How to kill a strong brand name with much effort, congrats Henry J ...

Zungle likes this.
  3. thefyn

thefyn Senior Member

Something that hasn’t been covered yet: historically every year or so Sonar has a version upgrade. They add great stuff like melodyne auto detecting tracks, or a channel strip with tape effects etc and we would pay $100-400 to buy/upgrade etc.

I probably paid for 5 or so upgrades during my 20 years of using Cakewalk. It’s what I use for all of my vids like this:

Last year, they had an amazing offer. For a one time fee, you can get LIFETIME updates! One lump payment (depending on what version you have) and for the rest of tite life you get free updates.

Some people have been using Sonar and updating it for 30 years.

What CEO does that? To a loyal fan base of 30 years? Promise a lifetime of updates they are going to cancel? It’s such a blatant cash grab, ripping off 1000’s.

I’m gutted. I spent so much time and energy learning the ins and outs of Sonar. Gibson bought it, squeezed every dollar out of it and closed it.

I don’t think it’s Gibson anymore. They bought it, focused on automation and NOT the finest luthiers and used the Gibson name to borrow ridiculous amounts of money to gamble with.

But the way they handled Sonar? Lifetime updates and a year later wrap it up? Gibson bankrupt rumors may be close. But IMO they are morally bankrupt.

Zungle likes this.
  4. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

A bud of mine has used Sonar in his studio for years...

Would it be ill mannered to buy a tiny property in Nash, sod it nicely, erect a obelisk of granite with Gibson Graveyard carved in it? Then have logos carved on flat face of all the brands hit by the Gib touch of death...

I wonder how that 'Lifestyle' bullshit is working for Henry....

5. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Sounds like maybe the Sonar brass are working on getting the source code and spinning off?

xeizo likes this.
  6. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

That would be cool....

xeizo likes this.