Gibson Kills Another...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by drkato, Nov 22, 2017.

1. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

Like Studio Vision before it, Cakewalk is now no more.

"Earlier this week, Gibson Brands announced the end of Cakewalk, a music software developer within its portfolio of companies. Purchased by Gibson in 2013, Cakewalk was widely known for developing SONAR, a DAW software package that competed with Logic and Pro Tools."

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-brands-announces-the-closure-of-cakewalk

Attached Files:

2. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Shame. I've been using Cakewalk/Sonar for nearly 20 years, and it's easily one of the best/easiest programs to work with.

Zungle, Frogfur, Juan Wayne and 2 others like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Didn't know Gibson owned it.... Shame, really!

IIRC Cakewalk was one of the first consumer DAWS when this stuff was just in its infantsy.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  4. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Seriously! I think I picked up my copy at a store like Boscovs back in the day..

Found it on the shelf with the rest of the entry level software stores used to sell when computers were still the rage.

Years later i recommended it to our church for weekly service soundtrack production. They liked it too.

Really easy to use. I recommended it to another Pastor from a different church to transcribe his sermons onto at home with a laptop...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. Static

Static Senior Member

Aarrrggghhh Gibson... We've used Sonar for years in the studio. We had Windows PCs back in the day and Pro Tools was MAC only then. We stuck with Cakewalk all these years. What the hell is wrong with Henry? I'm pissed.

6. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Dammit! Been using Cakewalk products since their first midi sequencer software in early-mid 90s. Went through all the upgrade gyrations, pay plans and eventually bought the lifetime upgrade for Sonar Platinum. :wtf:

So, I just jumped into eBay and bought Pro Tools 12 with perpetual license for $439. The price will likely go up in a few days. Will have to learn the Avid platform, though most advanced DAWs are very similar. :420:

7. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

I didn't know Gibson owned it, but my guess is that sales revenue from Cakewalk weren't what they needed to be to sustain the business. I had a version of Cakewalk maybe twenty-years ago and thought it was great for building backing tracks.

These days, I mostly use GarageBand which comes as a freebee on iMac. Purchased the expansion pack/extra loops for a tenner.

If I needed something more capable, Logic Pro is very competitive these days (though now that Cakewalk has gone, the price may go up of course).

Also have a free version of Cubase LE which came with a Zoom G5, Audacity and occasionally dabble with Reaper.

I also liked using Sonic Foundry Acid, which was later taken over by Sony and taken out of further development a few years ago. Don't know if it's still available.

8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

That is crazy. When I started my computer-based studio, it was Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with ADAT Edit. While I am ProTools now, I have worked with a TON of people that swear by SONAR. Shoot, I was even considering switching to SONAR when doing my studio updates. Total bummer....

9. wcandres

wcandres Junior Member

I'll miss them. I'm still using "Guitar Studio 2", and have never found anything else with its features.

Zungle likes this.
  10. info@rossgun.com

info@rossgun.com Junior Member

Its a pity yes I agree. Have you ever looked at Mixcraft .............I mean really? I find it very useful and easy .

11. Captngeetch

Captngeetch Junior Member

If you're looking for a free full featured DAW, Tracktion v6 is now free. It's a full featured DAW, very simple to use, unlimited tracks and very intuitive. The main difference is the mixer section (in all Tracktion versions, not their latest release called Waveform) isn't setup like a traditional mixer. It also has some pretty cool aditional features like Racks...it allows you to group multiple plugins into one saving CPU usage and space. I believe v6 even has the Freeze ability, so you can save even more CPU and RAM space. It works with all plugin formats except of course AAX. The computer specs needed are much more modest compared to Pro Tools. it's very user friendly.

I use Pro Tools about 90% of the time now, but still use Waveform once in a while, especially if I need to work with several tracks (10+) at a time without freezing them. And when I need to use certain plugins that PT won't let me apply. It's worth checking out, nothing to loose except HD space.

12. bumpbumpbump

bumpbumpbump Junior Member

13. PierM

PierM Premium Member

If they killed means has no market.

You guys should remember Gibson is a money machine, they are not a Creative Common platform.

14. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

There is a ton of truth to this.

Musicians are cheap bastards to begin with--- you find all sorts of forums about cracking any of the paid DAWs or plugins. Then you have Cakewalk, Cubase/Nuendo (bought by Yamaha), Logic (that one Apple bought- and I believe KILLED the MS version), Ableton, and ProTools, then all the semi-open source/free stuff, like Reaper, Garage Band, etc. There are tons of these out there. When you consider the functionality in a modern DAW compared to the price, these companies are giving the software away. Also, they already have so many features that it is difficult to monetize upgrades--- unless they 'give even more stuff away.'

I work for a software company. I don't know how this many DAW vendors can exist AND turn a profit.

rabidhamster and PrincePoP like this.
  15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I work for a software company too and share your same thoughts 100%.

16. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

I always preferred Cubase. I only ever used Cakewalk back in the day, but it made Adobe Premiere seem stable.
    Ableton and Garage Band seems to have killed Cakewalk IMO, whether they actually do the same things or not. Garage Band is a real POS but it took out the majority of Cakewalks market when it was free at first.

filtersweep likes this.
  17. timgman

timgman Senior Member

Damn, I still have some cakewak tracks (.bun) files I haven't been able to open for the last 10 years lol

18. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Message from Henry:

"All of you frustrated anti-progress geeks can now adopt auto-tuners.
    Now that, gentlemen, is innovation".

19. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

Major bummer....

CW is and was easily the best DAW w/midi in its era....

I started out on CW Professional 7 and moved forward from there.

I still have an old Athlon based XP Pro Machine w/3 Audiophile24/96's running Sonar HS4 ,SFAS9 and T-Racks

I run it offline...........Dam thing still purrs....

Gonna have to fire it up tonight and scratch in a few tracks for old times sake...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  20. PrincePoP

PrincePoP Junior Member

Have to agree with all of this. Musicians, like gamers can be very cheap digital thieves. Personally, I stay away from any pirated software - that's someone's job/income you are taken away using '10 finger/double click digital discount'. Guess I'll ride out my copy of Cakewalk until the wheels fall off. But this is a sad move on Gibson's part to kill off the brand over selling it to some other company that may be able to make it profitable again with their business model.