Gibson Guitar Factory Looking for a New Home

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by paruwi, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

With HJ's obsession with Gib lifestyle stuff, a weird thought just popped in my head...

A Gib logo'd Steely Dan...in cherry sunburst.... Comes in a denim covered carrying case....

fleahead and KSG_Standard like this.
  2. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Bluetooth enabled?

fleahead and ehb like this.
  3. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

520 million in debt, honestly, I don't think there is any way for Gibson to get out of this, which is sad because Gibson is as American as baseball and apple pie. There are QC issues with Gibson but with that said, when you get a Gibson that's good, it absolutely smokes PRS and Fender. It would kill me if Gibson closed its doors, even worse would it be if the Chinese bought them out...

rockstar232007 likes this.
  4. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I have it on the QT that Henry is negotiating to sell the Trademark and whatever related of Slingerland to a private party. The shedding continues.

5. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

If I had a known brand, I'd never sell to Gib. Just might be a death sentence for the brand...

Slingerland may do well out from under the HJ umbrella....depending who buys them... They used to be mac daddy kits... My son has my old 60's jazz kit...

It would be nice if someone bought the Steinberger brand from Gib.
    My Spirit V stick bass is a killer playing/sounding bass being ALL maple neck-thru and passive. (Built by Epi)
    That may make some folks that loved the all composite sticks all poochie lipped but I didn't like the tone color of those. Heard a Spirit five string all maple and ordered one... Great bass. Getting parts/accessories from Gib for it is a bad joke and goes downhill from there... Dealing with them (support) is a joke... I speak from experience....

Gibson killed Legend Amplification decades back... Some of the best amps I've heard. Sold a bunch of em back in the day with the musico I worked then. Stacks were ungodly badass on steroids... Great designs... First I can think of to mount a 57 element in front of speaker INSIDE the cab. Shove an XLR cable in the back connector and it was mic'd...

My old natural dovetailed oak cab & cane front Legend A30 combo will never be sold... Legends were good enough for ZZ Top to tour with for a bit (Eliminator album was Legend Amps)... Then Gib bought and killed em... Go figure...

Doesn't Hartley have control over the Trace Elliot name now? Yep, TE was another casualty....

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

:D

NewDayHappy and Malikon like this.
  7. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

Good luck w/ that. :thumb:

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. Madhouse

Madhouse Junior Member

As the saying goes....If you can't cheat honestly - don't cheat at all. If the Iron Chef shows up you KNOW the books are cooking.

9. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

But that's not a bad thing, and companies buy and sell companies/brands all the time.

10. Shoopdude

Shoopdude Member

I have it from a reliable source in the industry Gibson and Fender are negotiating for Fender to buy Gibson.......I understand it is a very down low QT negotiation. it would be weird but at least ownership would stay in the US. IF this is true of course!!!

Malikon likes this.
  11. Malikon

12. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have it from a reliable source that no one here has a reliable source and the QT is internet speculation.

YMMV

rockstar232007 and Tone deaf like this.
  13. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Eh, why not?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Shoopdude

Shoopdude Member

oh yea mine is purely speculation but it is an interesting thought.......in time we will all know the truth :)

15. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Gibson was on it's way to going out of business back in 1986... Hmmm. I'm not too worried about the supply of freshly-minted LPs falling off. Of course, I prefer older Gibby's, but I want the new supply to continue so as to avoid driving up the prices on the older ones...

Malikon likes this.
  16. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

17. Malikon

Man, that is some kind of ugly. :laugh2:

18. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Would that be Artist Endorsed ? The Steely Dan Steely Dan, by Gibson ? (and yeah, Bluetooth enabled to support Teledildonics™)

ehb likes this.