Gibson Guitar Factory Looking for a New Home

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by paruwi, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

With robo tuners and a pot metal bridge, tailpiece.. :naughty: :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    NewDayHappy likes this.
  2. tokairic

tokairic Junior Member

You missed that its also the 'Custom Shop' - and what about the ES Les Paul?

3. tokairic

tokairic Junior Member

Have Heritage Guitars moved out? Las I heard they were still there and I doubt they have a soft spot for Gibson..........

4. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

Really only 127,620 square feet and half of it is as unused "music venue"? The Fender Corona CA factory near me is 176,000-square-foot, employs 300 to 400 workers depending on the mfg season and they also have a factory in Encinada Mx that's over 200,000 sf. I remember visiting the Kalamazoo MI Gibson factory several times in the middle and late 60's, it was over 200,000 sf and the last visit was the month before they moved in '73, I bought a brand new off the line Les Paul Special in Tobacco Burst (still have it) on a "closing sale" price (1/2 price) w/ HSC while on tour. Poor management at Gibson and some questionable manufacturing even on high-end models is killing them. I'd never buy a new Gibson in recent years, not even an acoustic .... but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new US Fender or Rickenbacker. Too bad, but my vintage Gibby's will be worth even more. :)

5. tm88

tm88 Junior Member

I took a tour this spring during Memphis in May.

6. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

moreles likes this.
  7. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Doesn't help, when the Fed is pulling crap like this either...

"Gibson Guitars was forced to pay $50,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in 2012, though that organization has nothing to do with the case."

Only $50,000... but how much else were they bled because of it?

8. thesjkexperience

thesjkexperience Member

Does Gibson really have $520,000,000 in debt? Does anyone know what the annual sales volume in dollars?

If that debt number is true, and I sure don’t see Gibson making money in other markets including lifestyle branding, I can’t see how they can ever recover financially without bankruptcy or..... Unless an investment group can work a sweet deal on the company (without assuming much of the debt) possibly like when CBS sold Fender they may only buy the name and maybe some tooling and raw materials.

I’m sure glad I can build great guitars so no reason to lose sleep.

9. heliman

heliman Junior Member

Gibson has for over a decade been looking for the magic beans. Instead of focusing on quality control on the models that have stood the test of time since the 50's and 60's they have chosen to produce the "flavor of the month" targeted mostly to collectors and kids rather than professional players. Personally I have not purchased a new Gibson since 2003 and have no plans to. The tonewoods, electronics, and quality control of their guitars has consistently gone downhill, while at the same time increasing the prices. I still can't get over them marketing their Swiss Cheese weight-relieved LP's as having "tone cavities". Hopefully most of you know this was due to the fact they started to buy poorer quality tonewoods that weighed a ton so they had to lighten them somehow!

10. rcboals

rcboals Member

I am thankful I was in Memphis last year and got to tour the factory. I enjoyed every minute of the tour. I have a new 2016 Gibson ES335 sunburst slim neck arriving today see video. I hope Gibson can survive the competition is really fierce for the guitar market.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

Hey, I just heard the Gibson factory is looking for a new home. Anyone else heard about this?

12. Jakub Stalmirski

Jakub Stalmirski Member

Is this the begin of end?
    I mean if your company does well you not sell factory if you have a bad time you fire employees
    But selling factory... (Looking for other place, smaller , some one will lose a job too IMHO)

13. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Well, the real estate broker is excited -- here comes a commission! -- but when I think of Gibson I don't think of investors and (mis)management -- I think of a few guitar designers and the workers who make the instruments, and it looks like the latter may experience some difficulty in this move. And good luck unloading all that space in Memphis. Perhaps the economy is rebounding and someone will want it, as the broker suggests. As for Gibson overall, they are now merely a brand with rights to a small number of excellent guitar designs. Otherwise, they're totally replaceable -- it' not as though they do great work, because they don't -- and other than the loss of workers' jobs, I believe that if they went under, we might well see better-quality Gibson models being produced by people who run better guitar production lines than Gibson's management does. Because I am an American, and because I support companies being able to profit from the designs they create, and because I support American workers, I hope that Gibson gets it more together. There is no evidence whatsoever that they are doing so.

14. Malchik

Malchik Senior Member

If I were Gibson this is exactly what I'd be doing. Why have so many factories when sales are down? Selling this building and moving the semi-hollow production to a smaller, out of town factory only makes sense. There's no shame in downsizing when the market is low. Only idiots like K-Mart buy when they're dying.

Thumpalumpacus and KSG_Standard like this.
  15. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

They'll make them elsewhere. Move the machines and boom, pump out over-priced guitars again.

16. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...f-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.3df35aa89b1b

Stringed instrument sales in general and electric guitar sales in particular, are down and have been dropping for a few years now. The NAMM reports from 2016 and 2015 are available online, I can't find the 2017 report. There are more guitar makers than ever before and a flat or shrinking market. I suspect that's why Gibson tried to become more diversified by branching out into "lifestyle" crap.

Gibson still makes good guitars and they're making several lower cost/entry level guitars too. Henry might not be the smartest man in the world, but I don't think his management is the main reason that Gibson is selling manufacturing space.

Malikon and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  17. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Someone is looking for a timeout. Please enjoy our friendly moderators and cake. :)

paruwi and ehb like this.
  18. Slick

Slick Senior Member

God damn commies. Round em up cowboy

:run: Religion and politics. now that's multitasking :naughty:

<Purple implied throughout>

19. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Exit...stage left....

20. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Hmm ... Gibson selling Memphis factory with a view to move out in 18 months time ... UK exiting EU in March 2019 ... coincidence?

I conclude that Gibson will be making semi-hollow guitars right here in the U.K. from 2019! Result!

MikeyTheCat likes this.