Gibson Good Years

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by dave294, Sep 4, 2017.

1. boola1

boola1 Member

I have no idea what Gilmour or Clapton would tell you, you are basically trolling here... End of conversation.

jdto likes this.
  2. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

The worst Gibson I ever played was a Studio '60s Trib ('11, I think) gold top (P-90s) with brutally sharp fret ends and the worst set up (made my acoustics look silky). So, I bought it. Fixed the flaws, set it up and have loved it, ever since.

drylandfish and bulletproof like this.
  3. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

didn't they finally bring in the FBI to help create a cover story for using of inferior wood to boost margins?

Dave Zee, MikeyTheCat, Who and 3 others like this.
  4. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

Just using logic, not trolling.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. boola1

boola1 Member

It's funny that so many people here are so opposed to the possibility that some years might (in general) be better than others and yet they worship the 59 burst and want their guitars to be exactly the same spec....

jdto, Bobby Mahogany and Who like this.
  6. Dun Ringill

I am not opposed. What makes one year better than another?

bulletproof and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Hide glue.

(insert video of toothless guy laughing maniacally while captions read HIDE GLUE here)

jdto, Bobby Mahogany, Who and 5 others like this.
  8. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I guess I'll go ahead and blow the whistle on Gib.....

They ran completely out of unobtanium magic tone treatment in the latter 70's...

They use to mix it in the glue, put a little under the nut, in the fret slots and in the cavities, and even under the tenons... Some pickguards even had a coating on the underside....

There ain't no unobtainium in any Lester after that...just ain't no more....

So, if your Lester was built after that, then it sucks...

May as well dump it....

ht-57, Bill Hicklin, jdto and 4 others like this.
  9. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

I played a 54 Goldtop once. I believed it was "magic", thus, I played better, I let notes "bloom"........I shook chords..........I "let the music breathe." That was back in 2007. 10 years later I now "understand" guitar-playing. I play EVERY note like it is my last ever. Whether I'm playing my $200 Dano or my 74 Custom - I "sing." The guitar-as long as it stays in tune and has good intonation - does not make one iota of a differnce in my "performance." Sgs+Teles+Strats+Lps++++NORLINS............all do the "job."

I play songs, not tones or years. Guitarists should focus on performing with "passion" - A Bad Co song or an original should inspire you, the guitarist. Who cares if some human is fixated on HOLY tones? They are morons. They worship what they are told to worship. I will play against any guitarist using a SS $300 amp and a $200 Dano----I will not be embarrassed.....I'm a great guitarist no matter ------I practice THE CRAFT!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    ht-57, jdto, Blushingmule and 4 others like this.
  10. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Remember....."so many people" here have owned quite a few of these guitars. You are, after all, on a Les Paul forum. Explain to me what "better" is to you, specifically in terms of wood. I'd like to know.

There is no doubt that specs are a thing for some people. As I have stated MANY times, my non-hyde glue, non-analine dye, non-TH spec 2011 kicks ass out of a sample of 200 or so that I have owned. It is also non-chambered and just ever so slightly over 8lbs.. Like, an ounce over. So that dispels the "if it's not heavy there's no tone" myth.

I got to hand pick (literally, down at the Custom Shop with MY hands) the wood on both my 2011 and my 2013. Both are OUTSTANDING guitars. However, my 2011, specs be damned, just has "it". That doesn't make the other one bad, or make the wood bad, the 11 is just an amazing sum of it's parts. I have SD pickups, a MSSC harness, and a Callaham bridge and tailpiece on it too, so it's not all stock. Everything just came together on that guitar, and it's incredible.

Sorry, but I'll call bullsh!t to anyone who claims there are "good wood" years. Prove it. Quantify it. I'll be waiting.

11. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Ditto.

Good wood IN MY MIND is simply a consistent wood blank all the way through and very resonant.

It is of MY BELIEF, that if one has a consistent neck blank and a consistent body blank, and the resonant characteristics of the two are very similar, it will make a good guitar if the construction is done correctly. MY belief. MINE. I don't even particularly care WHAT wood or WHEN wood..... I just don't care.

I'll add this too: It is MY belief that the magic bursts that folks drool over, were magic when they were built (reference my above about good guitar), they freaking started out life pretty magical...and improved as the wood settled and aged, and <gasp> the magnets faded a bit...

I played guitars of numerous brands and type construction over my years that blew me away when I played them. Some I bought on the spot... The wood in the guitars I bought was consistent, resonant, and dense(my preference for tone color)....

My opinion. Don't much care who discounts it...

12. boola1

boola1 Member

It doesn't have to be so black and white, it's ok to generalize...

If you were able to test 1000 Les Paul Standards from 1990 and 1000 Les Paul Standards from 2000, you might be able to make some generalizations about those years. You might even find one year has more superb instruments or less duff ones.

I can't prove anything (and you also can't disprove anything) but like I said before, a talented and experienced musician knows a good instrument when they play it.

Bill Hicklin likes this.
  13. Dun Ringill

In the long run, this is the only thing that matters. You know what you like and that is what you look for. No generalized quantification required.

jdto, geochem1st, bulletproof and 2 others like this.
  14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

1959 Standard had some turds that year too, built from the same batch of "good" wood. Even pickup swaps with deemed holy grail PAFs didn't help.
    Even so, they are still priced beyond reach. It has nothing to do with how they sound anymore, they are just ICONS.

15. Tim Fezziwig

Tim Fezziwig Senior Member

I'm going to get a Lucite git..........KRIPES KRINGLE!
    [​IMG]

jdto, parts, geochem1st and 5 others like this.
  16. Dun Ringill

This is how everyone gets a trophy.

What are the parameters of this testing? Does it take into account wood origin, glue type, shift manufactured on, wood age, etc. All of those would be factors in the overall sound, would you agree?

This is why it is futile to try to determine good years/bad years based on opinion. Find a guitar that works for you.

17. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

The year the LP I just bought is the best from what I hear. The one I just sold was the worst...but was the best while I was selling it.

jdto, Who and bulletproof like this.
  18. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

man that just looks heavy.

(also the frets need work, the B string is caught under one, I think the 16th :laugh2: )

jdto, parts, Cozmik Cowboy and 3 others like this.
  19. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

People don't worship the 59, they worship the idea of the 59.

jdto, Dave Zee, geochem1st and 4 others like this.
  20. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

old growth mahogany and Brazilian fretboards and original PAF's!

*fap fap fap*

:laugh2:

They were so revered at the time Gibson had to stop making them!