Gibson Good Years

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by dave294, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

On a hunch, I thought I'd take a quick look at the dealerships FB page postings from yesterday. Selfish no longer Bro. :rofl:

Bikewash.jpg .

Bemis, ehb, Malikon and 1 other person like this.
  2. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Well then, that's better.

3. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Well we do have those, but we usually know that humor is going to show up sooner or later. And I think we've all been called out at sometime by other members over something we posted, to which the best response is usually to just smile through it.

4. MikeyTheCat

You have been absolved of your transgressions.
    So sayeth The Turnip.

Malikon likes this.
  5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

None of it is ever personal. Some people get mad, but they fade away.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    MikeyTheCat likes this.
  6. bgh

bgh Senior Member

I could hear no different at all. If there is truly a difference, my ears cannot detect it.

jbat, ehb and MikeyTheCat like this.
  7. MikeyTheCat

Crap, the Turnip absolved the wrong guy. You have also been absolved Dilemma and get a bonus hot clown chick dropping by at 2am.

8. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

hard to declare anything when he's just hitting the open strings. I bet you could use that video as a torture device.

I watched this yesterday, and to my ears the Epi still sounds like an Epi and the Gibs sounds like a Gibs.

The Epi has a warmer, softer attack and more bass. And the Gibs has more bite and treble. It's the same thing I always hear when I play my Epi and then play my Gibs. Back to back it's almost like the Epi has a humbucker and the Gibs has a p90,..the sound is that different in comparing warmth to bite.

and that Epi supposedly has a maple cap, Gibson pickups, good pots, etc.

The Capt touches a bit on the headstock angle, but I think they generally come to the conclusion that maybe it's the Nitro VS Poly thing. I don't know if that's it, but something is different because they don't sound alike. But they both sound like what they are. (the Epi sounds like Epi and the Gibs sounds like Gibs.)

I don't know. I've not heard an Epi that sounds like a Gibson though, no matter what you do to it. Some come close, but none get that sharp 'bite' and clarity that Gibson has. Even when they're basically supposed to be the same guitar with the same hardware/electronics.

(And I don't think the Epi sounds 'bad', I like the Epi sound with distortion while thumping metal riffs. I think it's a good sound. It's just not "The Gibson Sound".)

(edit: maybe with your amp you could scoop the bass and mids and really push the treble on an Epi and more try to mimic a Gibson, but I don't think that would sound very good. The Gibs seems to have a fuller, richer sound and the Epi has a flatter sound better suited for metal. In My Opinion. ...and I say that as someone who really likes Epiphones.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Byron999 likes this.
  9. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

I had a '91 ebony that was ass. The store had two: the black one and a sunburst. I wanted the sunburst, but had to pass because the neck looked wanky. The black one was better, but not perfect, so I ended up with the best one of the two. But that thing still had fret buzz all over the place and pickup noise and it just never played right. They retailed for $1,100 in 1991. Within 8 months I traded that pig for a new $500 Japanese Strat that I still have to this day. Again, I bought a Classic 1960 LP new in 1999. $1,300 by then. Honeyburst. It had to be sent 3 states away to have the frets filed because the neck was twisted. I needed a Les Paul for gigging, so I beat the crap out of it for a good 5 years. Best les Pauls I ever owned, including the R8, R9, R0 models is the Traditionals. But mine were from 2009 and 2010. I can't speak for all the changes they made to them shortly after that with different pickups, 2-pc backs, push/pull pots, etc.

I'm not one to buy into any Gibson "era" of superiority. I've seen good ones and bad ones from the mid 70's right on up to today, including the Custom Shop line. They can still have the same issues they've always had, most often problems with frets and twisted necks, poorly made nuts, crooked tuners and other parts, and cases that leave much to be desired. I don't see any benefit in the plek hype if the neck has a slight twist. I still see binding file gouges between frets, file marks - and I'm talking about file marks that have actually ruined an occasional fret.

Gibson guitars are my favorite for many reasons. But they have certainly cost me a ton of money and a lot of years of experience to be able to tell the differences between a good one that will last and one that's less than what it should be. All the stars have to line up to get a great Gibson, and that has always been the case as far back as I can remember. Jut because a $8,000 Custom Shop Historic R9 has an Ace Frehley top and sparkles like an amber diamond in the Fall sunlight, doesn't mean it's stars are all aligned. It just means it looks impressive.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  10. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Because there's not any...

:cool:

Bemis and bgh like this.
  11. Malikon

@ehb you listen to that viddy I posted in post #308?

ehb likes this.
  12. MikeyTheCat

If there were more people like you, YouTube would only have half the number of videos available for our enjoyment.

ehb, geochem1st and Malikon like this.
  13. Malikon

but we'd have more videos of guys jumping into cactuses? cacti? ca-....big effing pointy things!

freebyrd 69 and ehb like this.
  14. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I listened to most of it... Skipped a lot of yapping... Like the guys but they jabber nonsense too much...

Here is my opinion on Lesters and such as if anybody pays attention to my blathering...
    Read further at your own risk... You may want to tie yourself to the chair or hide the guns and knives or something if you choose to read further....

Just kicked back in the recliner, bored as hell, waiting for Irma so I'll blather on this a bit. Some may stroke out, some may not. Just my opinion...

I'll give you my opinion on the comparison vid first. Worthless. Two dissimilar guitars... Simply a vid to promote themselves by putting SOMETHING out for folks to watch and argue about. Fanning the flames kind of stuff...

If I were to compare two Lester Customs made one after the other by Epi, they would differ.
    If I were to compare two Lester Customs made one after the other by Gib, they would differ.
    If I were to compare the four Lesters above, I would have four different Lesters. Period.
    I've played Epi Customs that played and sounded just as good as my old Custom and others I've played. Tone color is all over the map with all of them, regardless of Epi or Gib. The mass is about the same on all, construction about the same, etc. etc. etc. etc...

"Tone Wood" is da cheeze and makes the guitar da cheeze cause if it ain't certain "Tone Woods" then the guitar ain't da cheeze. Bullshit.

A guitar sounds as it does because of the consistency/density/vibrational characteristics of whatever wood it IS made of. The magic Lesters pretty much started out magic. The neck blanks and body blanks were very resonant and all the characteristics of the two major sections were [similar]. Luck of the draw out of the wood blank piles....

Folks say it doesn't have to even be wood. True. No argument. Metal/plastic/etc. all will resonate... It will sound like a guitar.

I don't care if the wood is hog, rw, maple, ash, etc... If it is good wood according to my criteria above, it is good wood... It will make a good guitar....

My analysis/opinion/coffee grounds reading/tarot card view on Lesters next up.

ALL Lesters have two components says I....Growl and Bite.....
    ALL Lesters, because of mass will have the Lester low growl.
    How Lesters differ is in where the bite sits in the spectrum.

The Bite is the combination of the wood and characteristics. Some Lesters, the Bite is way on up there in the mids spectrum, cuts through like a knife, and you can pop harmonics like a madman till hell freezes over... In other Lesters, the bite is much lower in the spectrum and thus sounds much warmer and mellow...
    So if one were to grab to supposedly identical model Lesters off the final QC out line at Gib, they will NOT be 100% identical in tone color. Just is.

The bridge (saddles) are bolted to the wood. The frets are pressed into the board wood. The resonant string system is between fret and saddle.

Before I go further, does a amplifier cabinet make a difference in tone color? Is it better at some freqs and worse at others? Does it vibrate? Do all same size cabinets sound the same with the same type amp? ;)

Any given object will vibrate well at certain freqs and less efficiently at others... Remember this.

Does your guitar vibrate when you play it?
    If it vibrates, was string vibration coupled from the string system to the wood via the anchor points, fret and saddle?
    If vibration from the string system is coupled into the wood via anchors, doesn't it seem logical the vibration of the body can interact with the vibration of the string via the same mechanical coupling? ;)

Is there a possibility that some freqs can interact positively and reinforce while others interact negatively and attenuate as far as amplitude of certain frequencies?

That's why one Lester may be perfect for rocking like a banshee but not do well in more laid back stuff...while another sounds like how eating a piece of warm buttery Kobe beef tastes...

Could have been made the same day with one digit diff in #.... No two pieces of wood are identical in characteristics. Extrapolate.

Just my bored hurricane watching opinion. Don't much care who shares it or ignores it...

It's mine...

edro.

BlankinLoud and Malikon like this.
  15. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII Senior Member

Of course it does.
    Or it means that the missing maple cap is the reason why an SG sounds "thinner" then a LP...
    Jury is still out.

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  16. boola1

boola1 Member

I couldn't hear any difference either but there could be a difference from taking the cover off.

On my Strat, the springs act like a spring reverb, you get a decaying vibration from them even when you mute the strings and you can hear this through the amp. If you take the cover off, it's possible to damp the spring vibration with your shirt etc which would make quite a difference in the character of my guitar but for the worse IMO.

Bemis, Malikon and bgh like this.