Gibson Faded Standard for 2009 ???

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by mikezoch, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mikezoch

mikezoch Junior Member

I have my heart set on a Gibson Les Paul Faded Standard, but they are out of stock most places - which makes me think a new model may be coming out soon. Gibson site no longer shows a Faded Standard. I've been told they are discountinued.

Should I buy what I can find or do you think there will be a 2009 model shipping any time soon?

2. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

from what i've read they are no more. some places have old stock and "good" prices. i've also seen very good deals in the classifieds here.

welcome to the forum.

3. GibsonSlash

GibsonSlash Senior Member

They were discontinued, so get it while you still can.

4. travismbrown

travismbrown Senior Member

I love this guitar, say what you want about chambering but the tone on these is amazing not to mention the cool finishes, I just wish they were more consistant with them, I have seen some ugly fadeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

I was considering about buying one, but now they are getting discontinued

6. rrlespaul

rrlespaul Senior Member

when is gibson bringing in the 2009 models?

7. mikezoch

mikezoch Junior Member

I haven't heard anything about a 2009 model of the Faded Standard, but I have talked to a Gibson rep who said they sold really good - seems like they would continue selling something that sold really good.

I'm also considering a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Electric Guitar. This is going to be my first guitar - I'm not a player. I was wanting to buy a really nice guitar - something that will keep my interest. Maybe I was shooting a little high by looking at the Faded Standard.

Any advice on a first guitar would be great. I have heard try it and if it feels good then buy it, but if you have no idea and don't play . . . . .

Consider this a mid-life kind of thing :) - I' not a kid, I have a few dollars, so spending around a grand to have a really nice start on something I have always wanted to do isn't going to scare me.

8. rrlespaul

rrlespaul Senior Member

i wish they didn't discontinue the epiphone elitist les paul

9. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Find a used standard fade. They are great and can still be be found at a reasonable price. They will surely appreciate in value over say 20 years. By no means collectors items but the were a great value. And yes, Gibson would stop selling them even if the were hot. Its a completely normal move business wise.

IMHO stay away from the epiphone... far away.

10. mikezoch

mikezoch Junior Member

I have ordered a Honey Burst Gibson Les Paul Faded Standard. It should be here next week.

Now I have to figure out what to do for a amp - I have thought about getting a Line 6 Spider III 75 or a Marshall MG30DFX. Also since I will get to play after kids are in bed - a Korg PX5D Pandora or a Line 6 Pod - decisions decisions decisions - well at least one major decision has been made.

I'm jazzed a Gibson Faded Standard is on its way.

11. nauc

nauc Senior Member

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Congrats on the guitar! PLEASE don't play it through a Marshall MG!! Check out the threads over in the Squawk Box on them. :D

My advice would be to pick up a new or used Peavey Classic 30 - a great amp, which can be easily found in the used market for $350-400 or so. They are a great little tube amp and sound phenomenal - from bedroom volumes to full on band practices and gigs. 2 channels (clean and overdrive), reverb, and very easy to maintain (tube swaps literally take a few seconds, and only need to be done every few years). You'll outgrow one of those little solid state amps very quickly - particularly considering that you aren't a young pup and you probably appreciate the finer things in life. ;)

Here's mine. From the bedroom:

[​IMG]

To the stage:

[​IMG]

I liked my Classic 30 so much that I picked up a Classic 50 as well. Great amps - and I've had a lot of amps over the years; these are a couple of my favorites - you simply can't get a better sounding more versatile tube amp in this price range (I paid $350 for the small one, $375 for the big one).

[​IMG]

13. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

Guitar Emporium in Louisville has a 2005 cherry burst Standard Faded for $1400 right now. Call and ask for Eric aka Gearmanndude.

14. Voxman23

Voxman23 Senior Member

love my fadded

15. Extremerocker827

Extremerocker827 Senior Member

Both have incredible bang for the buck(epi and faded)...but if your a beginner, CERTAINLY GO FOR THE EPI! You won't hear or feel almost any difference between the two...and the Epi has a way better value. But both are great guitars! And im glad you are considering the faded instead of the Standard or Standard Plus...those are sort of rip-offs. Not bashing Gibson(they make great guitars) but in this situation definetely go for the Epi.

16. GibsonSlash

GibsonSlash Senior Member

I had done that BIG mistake for about 8 months last time, without realizing that's a BIG sin I've ever done to my girls. :rolleyes:

Please take diceman's advice, don't do the same mistake as I did.

17. nauc

nauc Senior Member

hey, what other amps have you had that you liked. someday im gonna need an amp, lookin for advice

thanks

18. renin71

renin71 Senior Member

bizarre guitar in Phoenix arizona just got 2 new ones for $1599 I think. Look nice. Phone number is 602-248-9297.

19. mikezoch

mikezoch Junior Member

Well the UPS made me very happy today. Here are photos of my new Les Paul Faded Standard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Now that is a nice looking guitar!