Gibson ES Les Paul Custom twisted neck?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Brucesu, Jul 8, 2018.

Sell it off?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2018.
  1. Get rid of it!

28.6%
  2. Omg noooo it’s the best!! Keep it forever!

71.4%
  1. scozz

scozz Senior Member

This is a good choice.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Raise the action until it doesn't choke on bends. If the action it too high, check to see if you have any relief to tighten the truss rod. It is a game of splitting hairs.

I have an ES Les Paul with 9-42. It takes a minute for them to settle in and to get the setup just right, but it will get there.

3. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Opps, just called the third guitar tech, and he is leaving on for vacation for two weeks.

I feel better now knowing it’s probably not a twisted neck, and if there is a twist then a level and crown will help it.

I think in the meantime I’ll try to put on 10-46 strings and raise the action a little and do my own setup.

Either I’ll fix this guitar at the end of the month or someone will buy it from my Reverb shop.
    :wave:

bulletproof likes this.
  4. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Wouldn't hurt to back off the truss rod and lube the little plate in there that the nut tightens against then re-adjust.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

I have 9-46 on a LP classic and it’s great, but the same gauge strings on the ES LP sounds plinky.

Does your ES LP sound warm and jazzy with the 9-42s?

bulletproof likes this.
  6. Norton

Norton Senior Member

You should just sell it cheap....to me!

Felix79, bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  7. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

I need to thin out the herd. I ordered a Hahn tele last month, and I recently got a Collings 290 in sea foam green! Between my LP classic and Collings both in seafoam green, I can basically get the same sounds as the Gibson ES LP custom.

The reason I wanna keep the ES LP is it’s crazy light and comfortable to play and it looks fancy!

I bought it for $1850. I would have to sell it for about $2200 to break even from reverb fees and two day shipping. It’s listed for $2499+150 shipping on Reverb now.

Here is a little video I made for the guitar.

bulletproof and endial like this.
  8. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Premium Member

I admire your integrity.

bulletproof and Brucesu like this.
  9. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Feeling good is priceless, and making someone feel bad is never worth it.

At least with this guitar, I know for a fact the buyer will have to get tech work done. The last tele I sold I thought was perfect, but the buyer’s tech said it had a twisted neck.

I’m glad people chimed in about my problem. You guys are totes cool!
    :acoustic:

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Premium Member

Another twisted neck? What kind of climate where you live?

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  11. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Shrug, I’m in Arizona, and the guitars are in an air conditioned house all day long and usually in their cases. The ES LP was shipped from Florida in early winter, and the tele was shipped from California in the spring.

The tech that told me about the twisted neck says never buy a guitar from Florida because of the climate.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

A lot of times, what someone sees as "twisted" is a bad fret or 3. Raised fret along one side of the neck gives the impression of twists. Saying the term "the neck is twisted" is a way to lower the price of the guitar. (Especially at a pawn shop. Trust me, it works.) Probably the same technique your tele buyer used.
    A complete fret level and recrown will costs about 200. I think that is the best option AFTER what the 3rd tech says.

Umm, I take umbrage at what your tech claims about buying from Florida. Live here, don't have any twisting of neck issues. I have issues with Guitars from Nevada with back bow. That stupid dry lack of humidity is a pain in the ass to get right. I have a Epiphone Genesis that took 7 years for the back bow to disappear.

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It sounds great. Does the LP thing, for me. It also nudges into ES 330 territory, being nearly hollow. I usually prefer 335's and SG's, but this ES LP really does the business for me.

:dude::dude::dude:

14. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Update:

Well...I have no idea what I'm doing, but I top wrapped NYXL 10-46 strings on the ES LP. I had 9-46 Gibson strings on there before with no top wrap.

Now the guitar has crazzzzzy low action and my choked bends seem to be tamed. The tone sounds way better and not plinky like the 9-46s.

I have never seen this action before in my life. The first string is 1mm at the 12th fret and sixth string is 1.25mm. The intonation seems to be decent.

Ya, I think I got bullshitted. This guitar plays like butter now. I think you guys are right about my guitar not having a twisted neck. I’ll go get a third opinion in a couple weeks when the tech gets back from vacation.

Wow, the stars aligned or something, but these 10-46 nyxl strings has made my es les Paul into a real instrument I’m proud to own.

If you guys have been eyeing an es les Paul then go for it. I can’t believe I was going to sell this thing.

:eek:

:iough::io:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    bulletproof and endial like this.
  15. moreles

moreles Senior Member

If it's a real twist in the neck, it is a major problem, potentially the kiss of death. The first step is to do what you're doing, and get a convincing diagnosis. Hopefully, it's an unlevel group of frets or an unlevel fingerboard. If it really is a twisted neck, it's grounds for returning the guitar if it is under warranty. There is no fix for a real twist, and since all twists start small and grow over time, it makes no difference if it is only a slight twist now. Yes, it can be steamed out sometimes, and yes, backing off and retensioning the rod with the neck clamped in the "right" position may alleviate it, but these are not fixes -- they are short-term repositions. The neck will always want to return to an increasingly twisted position. I know this all very well through experience. The good news is that a true twist is very, very rare; the bad news is that it is a terrible, basic defect. Leveling the frets can hide the twist for a while, at the expense of a proper fret job; screwing with the bridge, raising the action, fiddling with the relief... all are band-aids, unwanted adjustments made only to mask an underlying flaw. Let's hope your problem has some cause other than a twist in the neck.

Brucesu and bulletproof like this.
  16. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Imho you had to much pressure on the bridge, which was bent. Really, MANY times the problem is so stupid that it's easier to start assuming crazy shit, instead of remembering of Occam's Razor. ;)

I've had a similar problem recently with a 30 years old Custom, that were buzzing all over the place... and I was panicking. Then my luthier (not a bullshitter tech), just looked at the thing, pulled off the bridge (which were bent in the middle) and swapped with a new one, and all the mess was gone.

Enjoy the damn guitar! :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  17. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1

18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Keep in mind 2015's have vintage sized frets which makes the potential for choking on bends much higher.

Brucesu likes this.
  19. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

He's already had the frets leveled once. It's just hard to know who to trust when you have a potential problem. Even a guy who's been in business 10+ years with great online reviews can sometimes not have a clue beyond basic setups. I think warped necks are rare in modern guitars and for one person to have two guitars with warped necks seems so very unlikely to me.

It sounds like your new setup has made a difference. If for some reason you determine you still need a fret level, I would make the first tech do it again, correctly, or at least get your money back..... unless an inordinate amount of time has passed since the work was done.

Brucesu likes this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I just played my 2015 with 9-42 strings. It plays like a dream, small frets and big bends on every string at the 11th fret. :dude:

It looks the business, weighs almost nothing, and covers a huge tonal range. What's not to like? :yesway:

Brucesu likes this.