Gibson ES Les Paul Custom twisted neck?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Brucesu, Jul 8, 2018.

Sell it off?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2018.
  1. Get rid of it!

28.6%
  2. Omg noooo it’s the best!! Keep it forever!

71.4%
  1. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Hi folks I’m new to the forum.

I want to know your guys’ opinions.

I have an ES Les Paul custom and one tech said it has a slightly twisted neck. He said he could fix my bend choking problem with a fret level. The work would cost $175.

I have the guitar up on reverb for sale, and I don’t know if I should get rid of my guitar or keep it.

Will the fret level really help the guitar?

Would you guys keep the guitar or sell it?

59251371-BCFA-4D01-BA1A-4308751B983D.jpeg

2. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

Did it come this way? How long have you had it? Have you made any adjustments yourself?
    A twisted neck is pretty serious. Would be worth the fix, though. Why give up on a $2k+ guitar because of an $200 fix if you like it?

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  3. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

im not sure a fret level would fix choking issues caused by a twisted neck, but then again, I am no expert on this. Has the guitar had a setup? I cant tell much from the pic regarding the neck, but find the neck pickup adjustment curious...

Im with freak, if in fact the guy can fix it with a 100-200dollah work, and you like the guitar.. go for it.
    If the guitar is not doing it for you.. then off she goes. i wouldnt spend money on it unless I knew she was a keeper

GibsonKramer, bulletproof and Brucesu like this.
  4. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Senior Member

Fix it. And why sell it on Reverb to some poor unsuspecting schmuck (like myself???) and pass on the problem, unless you disclose in your ad the neck is twisted.

bulletproof, dc007, MooCheng and 2 others like this.
  5. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Yeah, would never sell without full disclosure about a potential twisted neck.

I had the guitar worked on by one tech, and he didn’t mention anything about a twisted neck. He leveled the frets, and I didn’t notice a problem until six months later.

I then took it to another tech, and he told me the frets weren’t leveled and there is a slight twist in the neck. He told me I could fix it, but he has a waiting list. I’ve been waiting almost four months now to get my guitar fix, and I’ll get it fix at the end of July.

Unless of course, I sell this guitar off. I had a tele I had to sell to pay for another guitar. I thought the tele was perfect, but the buyer had his tech look at it and said the neck was twisted on the tele. Shrug, the buyer was pretty mad, and I didn’t know about the problem. However, he said it’s the best tele he has ever played.

Shrug I dunno

bulletproof and Uncle Vinnie like this.
  6. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Shrug, I’ve only seen one post on reverb about a twisted neck Es Les Paul from CME, and it was extremely twisted compared to mine.

I don’t see a twist in my neck, but then again I probably don’t know what I’m looking at.

Whenever I do whole step bends around the 11th fret the sound chokes out.

06481BF7-DD35-430F-A283-95705273FC9F.jpeg

bulletproof likes this.
  7. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

I highly recommend a second opinion from another luthier, not only because I dont think you have a twisted neck, but because the proposed solution is totally nonsense, so I wouldnt ever trust that guy.

Check your bridge radius, and be sure its not bent/collapsed, and also check for rocking frets.

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

If the neck IS twisting, a fret level will not fix it AND it may continue to twist.
    IMO, get another opinion from a pro.
    If it is twisting, get it renecked or sell it(full disclosure of course).

bulletproof, dc007 and PierM like this.
  9. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find a third tech! All of the techs seem highly skilled and reputable, so I don’t think they would pull a fast one on me.

The second tech showed me I had rocking frets.

I had work done by the first tech on other guitars, and he does good work. I just haven’t had him take a second look at the Gibson es LP.

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Senior Member

I fail to see a twist, all i see is a nut that slopes slightly to compensate for different string thickness.
    :dunno:

11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Most techs/so called luthiers aren't worth sh!t.

It may have a high fret. I don't see a twisted neck.

It may need a fret level, but I would go somewhere else.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. PierM

If the neck is really warped, usually you go for a re-neck, or a heating procedure with disassembled fretboard, that acts on the wood fibers. Dressing a warped neck can be a very dynamic condition, where even a small relief change would unbalance, again, the warp. So, dressing could be a terrible idea.

BTW, I have seen good luthiers doing a fret dress to cure a very very minor twist, and maybe that is your case, but imho your major problem its frets rocking, not really a neck warp. At least, I see no warp in that picture, at all.

BTW, to check yourself, you could remove the strings, put the guitar on a flat surface, set the neck to no relief, and use two straight long bars (two rulers are fine), perpendicular to the neck, one at the last fret, the other at the first, and then looking through the longitude. The two long bars will help a lot showing up any possible twist...but if they are parallel, forget about a neck warp and go for a standard dress.

Good luck.

13. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I don't know about "most", but there certainly are the unskilled passing themselves off as luthiers. Definitely get another opinion.

I had a tech look at my Lester last year and wanted $500 to "fix" everything. The list of modifications was extensive.

Took it to someone else with a fab reputation who did a nice fret leveling for $120.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that twisted necks are quite rare.

Oh and welcome to the MLP! :wave:

bulletproof likes this.
  14. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

Thanks for helping folks.

I’m gonna go to a third tech today and see what he says.

15. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Senior Member

bulletproof likes this.
  16. PierM

The point is that MANY guys doing tech stuff on guitars, dont know how to call a neck twist, and they just look at the headstock. Surprise, on Gibson LPs, almost all headstocks are NOT dead square with the neck surface, and thats by design. There you have nothing to fix, as the neck is fine.

bulletproof and Brucesu like this.
  17. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

an easy way to check it yourself is take the D & G strings off their tuning posts and rest a straight edge across the headstock. Use it to sight up with the lower bout edges of the body, even a slight twist will be obvious. ( bare in mind, they are seldom perfect)

Its fairly rare to have a neck twist anyhow, looking at your pics, I doubt theres a problem at all. A fret rocker is used to find high frets, its not a reliable indication of neck twist

If it was mine, it would have a simple fret level and crown then see where it goes from there

good luck with it

bulletproof, Brucesu and PierM like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

You need to raise the action is the fret is choking the string on bends.

bulletproof, MooCheng and Brucesu like this.
  19. Brucesu

Brucesu Member

This guitar came with 10-46 strings on it, and when I got I didn’t find any faults with it.

I had it setup with 9-46 strings from a pro. Then a few months later I stuck 10-48 flat wounds on them, and it was fine.

I went back to 9-46 strings and I wonder if it’s just me banging too heavily on light strings. The only problem I have is bending around the 11th frets.

Shrug :io:

bulletproof likes this.
  20. scozz

scozz Senior Member

There are various degrees to a “twist” in the neck. I’ve played at least 3 LPs that had twisted necks according to Techs. All 3 played just fine......with a good set up and possibly a leveled fret or two.

I’m not saying they don’t exist.....but I’ve never come across an LP with a slight twist in the neck that it couldn’t be compensated for.

bulletproof and Brucesu like this.