Gibson Dirty Fingers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ZoomZilla, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ZoomZilla

ZoomZilla V.I.P. Member

Ok, so I got my pickups from WildeStarr today. I had a set of EMG's that he wanted and he sent me some Dirty Fingers in trade. I slapped them in tonight. Wow! I don't know how they compare to Will's pickups, but I can tell you that these things are mean as hell. They are super high output and they growl like a mother. I was worried about the HO pickup in the neck. I thought my cleans would be a bit dirty, but all I heard was warm tones coming from this thing. I am one happy camper. My Epiphone does not sound like an Epi anymore!!! It screams louder than a stock Gibson Les Paul now. I am not saying that it's better than a Gibson, but is sure is louder!

astrokarmas likes this.
  2. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Congrats man! The Dirty Fingers is one of my favorite pickups. Can't use it for everything, but what it does, it does really well!

astrokarmas likes this.
  3. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

Here is more info about Dirty Fingers pickups quoted from the Donald Brosnac book:

"Gibson's Dirty Fingers pickup has dual exposed black coil forms, twelve gold plated screw type pole pieces, and copper grounding tape around the coils.

This pickup has an inductance of 8.6 henries, d.c. resistance of 16K ohms, and a resonant peak at 6K Hz."

This same book states that it is a Gibson Super Humbucker that has three magnets. Unfortunatly, it doen't say anything about the wire gauge or insulation type of the mangnet wire.

This info was taken from the pickup maker's forum. Below is a post from Nightwinder who is a member here who lists some specs for it.

The set I have is PAt#2,737,842.
    South side facing bridge= 8.25
    North side (slug side)=8.35
    * 3 1/4 in ceramic mags. Two flank magnets 6mm, 1 bar magnet at 60mm long.
    * Bar magnet is also glued in place, as it is too narrow to touch the keepers (reminds me of the Air buckers). Seems to use Solderon w/44 awg. Small 1.5mm gap from center bobbin, Egde. Could be 43 awg, but unlikely. 16.6k, +.10k offset to the (SLUG) north pole.

4. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

:applause:

5. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

what magnet does it use?

6. plecoman

plecoman Senior Member

CERAMIC

Mine in the explorer are a little muddy...

7. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

is it the hottest gibson pup

8. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

9. Circus

Circus Member

ive been thinkin bout the dirty fingers.....Just in the bridge though right? And sumthin a lil more "tame" in the neck? I want versatility, but i love metel.

10. ZoomZilla

ZoomZilla V.I.P. Member

I have a set in mine. I think you will be surprised with one in the neck too. You would think that it's too agressive and cannot get good tones. Well that is a misconception. It does not add distortion to your playing, it just picks up every nuance of your playing, so if you want to play clean, it will do just fine on clean, it can get some nice cleans and bluesy stuff as well. But a 496R would go good with it if you wanted something tamer.

11. yamatsuka

yamatsuka Junior Member

I'm considering some "dirty fingers", but what would it sorta sound like with those in both neck and bridge?

12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I guess you can find a set pretty cheap, if that much output is your thing, that is.

13. kevinT

kevinT Premium Member

I'm looking for a set of original double creams for an 80s vintage V that I'm restoring to spec. If anyone has the bridge or neck versions give me a hollar. I may just have to wind some that are similar if i can't find them.

14. whateverlikesgadge

whateverlikesgadge Senior Member

This is the first guy I can remember using the dirty fingers. The main guitar on whitesnake 1987 is dirty fingers in les paul custom into a boogie collosus head.

John Sykes In case ya didnt know. He was the fist dude to use a lot of pinched harmonics before Wylde.

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xdC7vLSmiro]YouTube - Blue Murder - We All Fall Down[/ame]

15. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

I like Sykes, but I think Billy Gibbons was really the guy the pinched harmonics thing started with. Zakk even said that's where he first hear it :dude:

BTW, on "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" you can hear some awesome pre-EVH tapping.

16. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

I have a pair of original Dirty Fingers in my Gibson ES-335 CRR. I'd be curious to know how they stand up to a pair of modern ones. I would love to get original specs for these, but we all know how Norlin was about keeping records.

17. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Dirty Fingers are the best P/U's hands down. You could put these things in a cardboard guitar and they will still sound amazing. I haven't heard the current ones. But, I heard they aren't as good as the late 70's/80's versions.

18. ren_h_99

ren_h_99 Member

is this a dirty fingers pup?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Yes.

HTH,

20. shaun

shaun Banned

I got a new set off ebay for about US$70 or 80, 6-9 months ago. They were meant to be for the Epi prophecy range, but some chinese guy was selling them off (dont know where he got them. They are stamped Dirty Fingers in the front, but blank on the base plate). I havnt tried them yet so cant comment on them but another forum member has and liked them.