Gibson.com and the 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standards (Historics)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Dilver, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Will Gibson ever acknowledge the 2017 Custom Shop Standard models and changes on their website? It appears that there were some announcements earlier in the year from the Music Zoo and some other retailers about the Standard Historics getting some of the True Historic parts and features and I recall reading something at one point saying that the lines were going to be merged. My COA (brown folio) for my 2017 Custom Shop 58 Standard just says "LP Standard". But here we are practically in September and Gibson is already starting to generate marketing about 2018 USA models, but the most accessed marketing vehicle, their website, remains unchanged. It's as if this year hasn't happened.

2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

You should ask Gibson.

3. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

4. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

There are around 2017 Custom Shop guitars on their website — Burstdriver, Rock Top, Modern Double Cut, Modern Standard, LP Special, etc. http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Gibson-Custom.aspx?ModelYear=2017 Not the worst output in my opinion! 2017 is happening:h5:

You're correct. These historic “Standards“ are missing. Maybe, as was established, they were mostly separate runs for some dealers. (A few German shops have received what appears to be an identically spec'd run with TH parts, so the sure is some common template.)

I think there's one model listet which comes close, a “Les Paul Standard Figured Top.“ http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Standard-Figured-Top.aspx

5. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Yeah, now I'm really confused. Those are listed as limited runs, appear to have some of the historic specs e.g. hide glue construction for neck, top, fretboard, custom buckers, long tenon etc. But no mention of any previous historic year (but serial number looks like it starts with 9) and the neck is described as "medium chunky" (WTF?). And there's only two finish options.

The lightly figured version has the same specs but two different finishes.

Is this a sign that what was rumored is true? Are the Historic lines discontinued and now everything is either Made to Measure or Limited Runs for dealers? If that's the case I'm glad I got an "R8" under the wire with the latest specs...

6. lpthomas

lpthomas Senior Member

Yes, this is the result of the "discontinued" historics.

Although historic is just a name. A plain top 2017 Standard with an 8 ... serial number, for example from Wildwood, imo is cooler than last years R8s.

I have yet to ask a second dealer if it's possible to order one of these Standards. So far it seems that they can only order what Gibson currently offers on their site or do M2M projects. That some Gibson dealers received just 1-4 of the 2017 Standards with TH upgrades suggests that there might be a way for dealers to order them. If that's the case, historics, I'd say, are not really discontinued.

There's also a 57 anniversary model, which looks very cool.

Dilver likes this.
  7. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

The thing is... now, the only difference between the 57, 58, 59 are the tops. The neck specs are all the same. Someone said, the shoulder carves are different but I don't see any evidence of that.

My 2017 '58 neck definitely isn't as big as some of the previous year 58s I've played. And while the headstock serial number stamp doesn't have an "R" before the 8, the control cavity stamp still says "R8".

None of this really matters to me - it's a killer guitar and I'm just so very lucky to get one of these Historic/True Historic in-between models, for a great price used (for like, less than a month).

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

9. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Most, if not all, of these 2017 Historics (labeled Standards) were made before the discontinuation of the Historics.

Gibson had a bunch already made in stock for 2017, sitting on shelves. They were released to some dealers just to sell and get rid of the stock they had. They are not something Gibson will probably ever mention on their website.

They were meant to be the 2017 Historic Reissues but after Henry decided to discontinue Historic Reissue Custom Shop guitars for now they became "Standards" to sell the stock they already had produced.

If you want one, other than the ones already produced, they now are considered a M2M order. Whether it be a personal M2M order or a dealer limited run M2M order.

10. Lebond

Lebond Member

Thanks jlb32. That's the best explanation I've heard so far concerning the end of the reissue as we know them.

lpthomas likes this.
  11. bdc

bdc Junior Member

Yup, these 2017 CS LP Standards from Wildwood and Chicago Music Exchange are not on Gibson's menu and are real sleepers. I'd wager they may be the last of their kind, when they're gone, they're gone. I got an awesome one from CME, and after seeing the crap offered on Gibson's CS web page, I feel like I kinda lucked out, got one before they're all gone. Plek cut nut sucked though, otherwise excellent build quality. COA signed by Rick Gembar.

lpthomas and Dilver like this.
  12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Senior Member

This is a nice succinct recap of the situation.

:slash:

13. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

FINALLY - the explanation I've been looking for. This should be a sticky. Thanks jlb32!

jlb32 likes this.