Gibson Bad Customer Service - R8 Specs

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by izzwardo, Apr 12, 2018.

1. izzwardo

izzwardo Member

I recently purchased a really nice 2006 R8 and I called Gibson to see if I could get all the specs on my guitar and the customer service agent was really rude telling me to just go on the website and find it myself but I honestly think the specs have changed from 2006 to now right? He also told me he is unable to send me a spec sheet in my Guitar via email even if he pulled it up saying the Historic and Custom models they can’t give out that info. Really upsetting.

Attached Files:

2. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

The information you seek should be listed in the sticky above titled 'Historic Changes '93-'07'.

Who, Droog, GermHerm and 5 others like this.

3. davep

davep Member

Usually they are very helpful. I would call in again and get another customer service rep.
    As suggested check the sticky. That has more info than the rep will provide.

Tone deaf, frankv and bulletproof like this.

4. DanD

DanD Senior Member

That is Gibson's company line.

My understanding from speaking with some Custom insiders is that the 'spec sheets' for individual guitars are non- existent as they get pitched after an unknown amount of time.

Those spec sheets really have no use to Custom after the fact. A copy of the spec sheet is supposed to go to the original dealer.

When I called my original dealer (MZ) I was told they don't hold those spec sheets after a couple years either.

It's really frustrating especially when the guitar is from a small run or one off. While Custom management remembered my guitar and the run it came from they didn't have any 'proof ' of the run in their records...

bluesondoor and bulletproof like this.

5. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Go to a car dealership and ask them to give you a brochure on your 2006 car. Gibson has, especially lately, had a high employee turnover rate. They have also had many spec changes from 12 years ago. The food you want is out there, you just went to the wrong restaurant.

6. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1.....this right here

truckermde and dc007 like this.

7. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Database has been invented in 1970....but probably at Gibson they still use paper in 2018.

Gtarzan81 and bulletproof like this.

8. davep

davep Member

I called them for specs on a 68 Les Paul Custom from 2008. The rep emailed me the specs sheet. They have most models that were posted on the webpage.
    They do not however have any information on custom builds. I had a couple of unique guitars I requested more info on. They just don't keep a record on them. If they do they don't provide it.

DanD likes this.

9. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Absolutely ^ :cheers2:

I've owned a few LPs that were considered 'Custom Quote' which means a specific dealer ordered a small run of unique guitars.

The Gibson sku for these guitars looks like "CQ XXXXXXX".

I was told the digits following "CQ" have absolutely no model info embedded.

On these "CQ" models the numbers are just an identifier. They are not cross referenced to a spec sheet for that guitar.

The selling dealer is supposed to get a copy of the spec sheet yet I have yet to see one included with a sale.

My guess is there is probably other information on that spec sheet that dealers do not share with customers.

For a CQ guitar it behooves the owner to gather as much info as they can if they want to be able to verify the guitar down the road.

10. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

About 8 months ago I called them about my 1991 Reissue and they were very helpful, confirming it (based on the serial number) as a '59 Flametop Reissue.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Why would you need or care about what some giant company 'says' about your guitar ?

It's in your hands, just play the thing for crying out loud

12. izzwardo

izzwardo Member

I just wanted the specs on it. It’s my first R8 come on! and believe me I am playing the hell out of it

13. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I think that this is part of the fun of owning a Historic, is knowing all the minute details of your instrument. So I completely understand.

I’m sure you can get the unofficial details of your guitars specs, but it would be hard pressed for Gibson to provide an official list.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Ah, 1st reissue LP. ... I get your enthusiasism now.
    But outside pickups & hardware ,which could be changed on your 12 yr old LP, theyre all basically the same.

15. izzwardo

izzwardo Member

Yes you nailed it on the head. I absolutely love this guitar and seems I’ve bonded with it so yeah I’m wanting to know everything about it. I come from playing music man guitars for the last 10 years and I tell you what this R8 is the stuff. I love my MM guitars but it’s a breath of fresh air to have this one.

truckermde likes this.

16. izzwardo

izzwardo Member

Yeah you guys probably have had quite a few. I see now what all the hype is about

Blue Blood likes this.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Ive had 3 over the years, which is nothing compared to many players/collectors here !
    They make small changes most years, theres a sticky listing the earlier year by year changes at the top of this forum. http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/historic-changes-93-07.86299/
    Enjoy your R8 !

18. Stealer

Stealer Senior Member

To the OP, if you receive an e-copy of the spec sheet then be sure to print it on sandpaper and shove it up this guy's arse . . .

Steven, Jer, saks and 3 others like this.

19. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

I am not excusing the behavior, but I can understand why a company would not be as willing to help out a second hand buyer. I mean you are not really a customer of theirs at that point.

Duane_the_tub and rockinlespaul like this.

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

There's a reason Google got big.

Most of the equipment I buy is used, and of course has no manual. It takes me all of about a minute to rectify that shortcoming.