Gibson 59' Tribute Pickups - anyone have experience with them?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ramaglia375, May 11, 2017.

1. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Hello to all.

Like the title says, I am looking for any info you may have regarding Gibson's 59 tribute pickups.
    I'd like to hear of any experience or comparisons you may have. I understand they were only fitted to the 2014-2015 Traditional's.
    So before I invest time looking and ultimately money in one, I'd like to know if, by forum consensus, its worth it.
    Thank you and I appreciate the input,
    Randy

2. jbash

jbash Senior Member

They are a slightly sweeter alnico II burstbuckers. coils are reversed. If you like the BB1/2 you will like the 59Ts. They have a bit less output and meter a little lighter.

I still have my 59t lead version. it meters out at just under 7.7k.

ramaglia375 likes this.
  3. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

Yes, I have a set (came with my 2014 Traditional). The only thing I would add to jbash's description is that they are bright (like BBs). I will say that I've since swapped them in favor of Duncan Skinnerbursts. And that's not really a ding against the 59s. I think they're great pickups, some of my favorite pickups made by Gibson in a long time. I actually like them a lot. But I love the Skinnerbursts.

Zoobiedood and ramaglia375 like this.
  4. ramaglia375

Thanks for the taking the time to reply and the in depth information.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for a 2014 or the pickups being sold off.
    There was a set that went on Ebay this morning that I missed.

5. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

HI ramaglia375, my 14 trad came with the 59 tributes. Basically, my neck pup was mud & my bridge was ice pick.

There are a couple of good youtube vids out there , greg kochs springs to mind- from a tone point of view id say something like Seth Lovers would be the better pup.

The 59's are potted

I say dont bother unless your more of a collector.

Angus Blackmore likes this.
  6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

My experience with '59's was the opposite of Scovell. The neck pup was the first really usable neck pup I've ever had and the bridge pup sounded sweet and chimney. Think of a Telecaster on steroids.

7. ramaglia375

Ironically, I can relate to both of your experiences. I have been able to play 2 guitars that had the 59 pups now. A 9lb 2014 Tradtional w/ thick neck (WAY over priced so did not purchase) and a 10lb 10oz 2015 Japan Limited Traditional w/ 60s SlimTaper taper neck (that I purchased online).
    The 2014 was THE sound- warm, articulate, etc that I had anticipated after reading about these pups. The 2015 on the other hand, was sent back. The tone from this one sounded almost...sterile? It seemed like the tone did improve slightly as you got to the higher frets, nearer the body. I was able to directly compare the 2015 with my 2016 Trade w/ 57s. I fully expected the 15 to edge out the 16 but it was not to be, not even close.
    Thanks for your input guys

8. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

I'm sorry to be a party pooper but I have to disagree with most folks. 40% of the music I play is clean, 40% low overdrive and the rest can only be considered high gain, and they didn't work out for me at all, see post 187.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/how-have-you-modded-your-les-paul.367299/page-10#post-8278465

9. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

My thoughts exactly, to the letter. At least I'm not alone - maybe we both got lemons? The only other neck humbuckers I know well are the SD Full Shreds and the SD 59s. What did you replace the Tributes with and how do they compare with the SDs I just mentioned?

10. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Initially replaced both pup's with MK58 pickups by ingo raven - then moved onto ECP Hallowed Grounds.
    After researching a few other forums recently, I 'think' my bad experiences my have been partly down to the poor wiring. I switched out for an MSSC Holy Grail harness at the beginning.

Perhaps I'll revisit them one day, although I would add that I'm not into potted pickups & de-potting them would mean they loose value - who knows.

Have to say though, the 2014 trad, what a guitar - I tried a true historic 58 recently, guess what, my trad owned it (no joke).

Angus Blackmore likes this.
  11. ramaglia375

12. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

Hi Scovell001:

>>I 'think' my bad experiences my have been partly down to the poor wiring. I switched out for an MSSC Holy Grail harness at the beginning.<<

Does this mean that you replaced the Trad 14's stock wiring for the Holy Grail without giving the stock wiring a chance (and your previous mud/ice pick comment was applicable to the Holy Grail harness...) or, was your you're mud/ice pick comment attributable to the ORIGINAL stock wiring?

I'm going ntetested because I asked in another thread if the Trad stock wiring was good in itself or if it needed upgrading (see post 33 below):

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-2014-traditional.340948/page-2

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017