Gibson 490R & 490T pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by djlogan33, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I'm having difficulty getting good clean tones with some brightness from my neck 490R. I have it and a BB Pro in my 2010 Studio Deluxe. The two pups together are a good match and I e.q. my amp for the 490R. I notice that once my Blackstar HT1R warms up it starts to lose some of its' highs which could be more of a factor than I realized.

Classicplayer

2. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings SeƱor Member Premium Member

The 490R/498T pickups sound great! IMO

3. anthem1

anthem1 Senior Member

they are good...

4. Ralff

Ralff Member

In my limited experience, they're alright in their own individual way, but they don't seem to pair well.

These pickups benefit greatly from magnet swaps.

5. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I have the 490R paired with a Burstbucker Pro in my Studio Deluxe. At first I thought that the 490R neck was rather dull sounding with not much in the way of highs. After receiving advice on this forum, I raised the pole pieces as well as the height of the pickup (especially on the treble side) and it did make quite an improvement. I also experimented with my amp by reducing gain and and bass a bit and now I can say that I will keep the 490R....no magnet changes or pickup replacements....thank you.

Classicplayer

6. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I have 3 SG's with factory 490's and an Epiphone Dot with a set from a Les Paul.I like a more blues type sound, and I like the 490's a LOT! I set mine up starting with the neck pup, and usually have that set way down low, near the surface of the wood...REALLY improves the tone. Then I just balance the bridge pup output with that...They do sound different in different in different guitars - I have 2 1999 SG Specials, and they sound very different from each other, especially the bridge. I like the tone rolled back a bit on the bridge pup to take the brightness down a little, but other than that I like them.

I think if they had been around in the 1970's they would be worshiped today just like the old PAF's...in fact Gibson says they are today's version of the PAF, and I pretty much agree, but the 490's are more consistent where the PAF's could vary from great to suckage.

Play around with them before you go all drastic.

mark

1 person likes this.
  7. Rocknme

Rocknme Member

I've never played a guitar that had the 490T, but the 490R/498T combo was standard issue for many (probably most) Gibson solidbodies during the 90s. I love the 490R and I think that pickup is underrated. The 498T has sounded great in some guitars and not great in others. YMMV.

8. jimbo5924

jimbo5924 Junior Member

Gibson SG special Worn Brown .... replaced both 490's (T&R) with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers and it's PAF HEAVEN. Single wire push back , bridge put out 8.59K and neck is 7.65K.. Only Seth Lover back in Kalamazoo made any better.