Gibson 490R & 490T pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by djlogan33, Feb 17, 2010.

1. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

What is your opinion on these pickups?

2. Progrediens

Progrediens Senior Member

They are stock for LP Studios and SG Standards. I have a Studio, and I liked the 490T, it is hot. The 490R had no personality and was boomy. So I played using the 490T which is a bridge pickup. But I replaced them with a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Model (instead of 490R - neck) and DiMarzio Dual Sound (instead of 490T - bridge). This way you get a PAF pickup and the sound of Ace Frehley. If I had to choose between the two stock pickups, I would go 490T.

3. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

Great pickup set if you play around with them, one of my favorites and very much underrated. I like them, especially swapping the magnet out of the 490t for an alnico 5 and keeping the 490R stock. People dont play around with them enough and anyone who complains the 490R is muddy needs to learn how to eq their amp properly as learned when I first got my LP Studio. After half a dozen pickup swaps, I ended up putting this set back in it and love it.

And for the record, Studios usually come with 498T pickups in the bridge, not 490T.

4. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

=======================================================
    The 490R & 490T pickups are in both of my B.B.King Lucille guitars.

My 1st Lucille, with B. B. King's signature, I am leaving completely stock. See 1st picture below.

My 2nd “Batman” Lucille, I am blacking out and doing the following to it. See 2nd picture below:
    • Replacing the gold 490s with black coverless 490s.
    • took the pickguard off,
    • exchanged the gold Varitone ring with a black Varitone ring
    • replaced the white pickup selector with a black pickup selector

Attached Files:

5. csparks75

csparks75 Senior Member

I really like my Studio with 498T and 490R....I have serious anxiety when I think about replacing them with something else, because I think they sound great. +1 on knowing how to EQ your gear.

will c and SixAngryStrings like this.
  6. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

i like the 498T and 490R in my guitar, but the only complaint i have is their only 2 conductor pick ups. while you can still get great tone out of them, i really wish they came stock with 4 way conductor so it is easier to have the jimmy page mod. you can get such a variety of tones with that set up... and i just wish i had more money to make the switch!

7. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I've got a set in my SG Faded. They've got a pretty clean, clear tone, albeit not a terribly complex one. Very 70's rock sounding. In fact, I think some people have swapped the magnets from A2 to A5 to get a budget T-Top tone.

I like them in the SG. They can cover a lot of sonic territory, and they're not as harsh sounding as the BB Pros.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

In my LP:

The 490R was OK. The 498T was grainy, compressed, and shrill.

I replaced them both with a Suhr Aldrich set and never looked back

The Archer likes this.
  9. Brynner

Brynner Senior Member

I've found the 490R to be a beautiful low-ish output neck pickup. It was fine stock in the LP, but I ended up taking it out because I specifically wanted a Burstbucker 1 in the neck position (which I honestly can't say sounds any "better" than the 490R, but it does sound more authentically "vintage"). I ended up putting the 490R in an Edwards E-LP-92CD. It's a perfect fit there as well - very articulate, warm, but with plenty of high-end also (bearing in mind that the Edwards is fairly bright acoustically by itself though). I think the 490R is a very under-appreciated neck pickup - probably because it came stock on so many Gibsons for so many years, but that shouldn't reflect subconsciously on the quality of its sound. I've found it to be balanced, warm and full and sufficiently bright. In fact, it's become one of my favourite neck pickups.

I have no amount of personal experience with the 490T, but if it's as good a bridge pickup as the 490R is in the neck, I'd get one without a second thought.

I know this is not what you asked, but it seems to be creeping into the thread, so I'll put my 2 cents in on the 498T as well. I found it to be shrill and not very "pleasant", so I took it out of my LP Studio and don't plan to use it in anything else. Perhaps it would "fit" better in a guitar with very combed back highs or a very un-trebly amp, but otherwise no. Perhaps I'm being a little too hard on the 498T though, because I wasn't going for that type of screamy, hard sound with the LP in the first place. Even with that in mind, I do have other guitars for that purpose and they do it without the shrillness that the 498T was putting out.

10. Eric

Eric Member

490's are ok
    not great, but not bad
    498t is awful, imo
    higher output, but cold and sterile

11. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

I used to think this until I put a RS modern electronics kit in my Studio. Now I love the 490R/490T Set. They really come alive with proper electronics, like many Gibson pickups.

12. PipesGuitar

PipesGuitar Junior Member

I have the Gibson Les Paul Supreme which has the 490R and 498T. They are great pickups, but it all depends on the sound you are going for. I am actually looking to replace mine with some PAF clones, (skatterbrane specifically). They get great sustain, specifically the neck pickup rocks for a lot more of a modern tone. My only complaint is that the tone i am looking for isn't really met by them. ANY modern tones can be met quite nicely, and the neck pickup is insanely beautiful for a clean tone (Lucille has it for a reason).

So, it really depends on the sound you are looking for, look up supreme vids on youtube with the neck pickup. Definitely not selling mine, will likely keep in perchance i want to use them again in my Les Paul, and i might even throw them in my Epiphone SG which i use a sometimes for a complimenting layer of tone.

Regardless, i would play with them and also DO NOT RAISE THE PICKUPS TOO HIGH. There is a sweet spot you have to find.

13. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I pulled them from my Faded.
    Wanna buy them?

[​IMG]

your idol and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

The 490's have A2's in them, I think they sound much better with A5's but I still ended up pulling mine out of my SG as well. ;)

your idol likes this.
  15. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Senior Member

Same here. My SG Special Faded came with all 490's. I swapped the bridge out to a 498 and couldn't get it back out fast enough. For more modern medium gain applications it had too much honk and cluck on the attack and no sizzle on the high end whatsoever. The 490 neck I have no issue with. The bridge one sounded ok to me, just wasn't hot enough for what I'm doing.

your idol likes this.
  16. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

hate them in my 95 studio

love them in my 06 SG Standard

17. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

There's a Gearmandude video shootout between a 498T and a BBPro. Very interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejmZn9Mz70]YouTube - Gibson 498T versus Burstbucker Pro humbucker pickup shootout with SG Guitar[/ame]

18. SkunkWorks

SkunkWorks Senior Member

19. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

========================================================
    From the Gibson website:

the 490R and 490T come with four conductor shielded wiring for series/parallel/split coil variations.

NOTE: Factory-installed 490R and 490T pickups have two conductor wiring.

20. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

I like them, very underrated pickups in my opinion.

They sound a lot better running through 500K pots instead of stock Gibby 300K pots.

They are even better when you play with the magnets. I like to replace the A2's with A5's for the neck and A4's for the bridge. Yummy.

SGMarshall likes this.