Gibson 1959 Explorer Replica build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Marn99, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Member

Is it possible to direct order from DMC? They only have two vendors on their dealer page, one's website doesn't even have a parts page, and the other one only has aged knobs. Perhaps I should email them.

2. Marn99

Marn99 Member

Ok, so since the Stewmac ABR-1 is wired, and that is not true to original, what brand would you recommend for my ABR-1? Perhaps Retrospec?

3. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I'd love to share some pics of my first build. It is a Telecaster made from a template of a 1958 reissue, but it isn't really a historical accuracy build, rather a guitar combining aspects from Fender's pre CBS golden years. Right now I am working on a new neck, I was doing the final shaping on the first one when I had a bit of an accident (a classic rasp meets truss rod love story). Moral of the story, doing a 63 neck profile with a dual action truss rod is risky, and to be honest I have since come to the belief that the jury is still out on the true value of a dual action vs a single action. I could either post pics of the finished body or we could wait till I finish the neck, whichever you like :)

4. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Cool guitar, terrible demo. If he really wanted to sell it he should have not put the mic under his mattress.:facepalm:

RAG7890 likes this.
  5. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

Maybe he just doesn't want to sell it...

cain61 and Marn99 like this.
  6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

FaberUSA makes a "more vintage correct look" without retaining wire for about $50 less than Retrospec. I haven't compared the two but money shouldn't be important if you are doing a true replica. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

Marn99 likes this.
  7. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

re the truss rod/rasp encounter. I had a roughed in shell for a lp style build on the rack when a friend wanted to buy it. he has an ultra thin neck on a fender he wanted to replicate. the guitar was already fitted with a traditional s/a rod, so you know where i'm headed with this. I went in from the back carefully with chisels and dremel tool, removed the old rod and replaced it with a slimline d/a which leaves me enough wood to satisfy us, then filled the the channel with a piece of wenge, giving it a skunk strip. so now we have a thru neck lp style with a skunk stripe. don't suppose we'll see another one around here none too soon. i share your pain....but we still need pics. :)

Marn99 likes this.
  8. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

The Faber is a great bridge, but not 'accurate.' The Retrospec costs a king's ransom. I can wholeheartedly recommend the "made in USA" (no mfr given) from Philadelphia Luthier Supply. Much nicer than, say, the Gibson Historic for a fraction of the price. (a nice touch- the saddle screws snap gently into their slots, so they won't scatter during a string change)

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks Bill. I'm stocking up on some vintage "ish" stuff. I have a contact for the real deal, but as you say it very expensive. I've done the math on most of the stuff and it averages 3- 3 1/2x the price, at minimum, of almost vintage. If people want to pay the premium, I'm more than happy to comply.

Cheers Peter.

Marn99 likes this.
  10. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I will check out Philadelphia Luthiers supply :) Thanks for the info on the faber. I know what you mean about the retrospec bridge, there is something to be said about the saddles being un-notched like the originals though...

11. Marn99

Marn99 Member

Here is the unfinished quartersawn 3 piece black walnut body (black walnut wasn't traditional, but 2-4 piece bodies were standard in the 1950s)
    IMG_3479[1].JPG
    with finish (crimson guitars guitar finishing oil) my initials and serial number in the neck pocket (sort of a tribute to Tadeo Gomez)
    IMG_3486[1].JPG
    the wiring, I didn't do the wiring, as I have never soldered a thing in my life, a master luthier who has been a mentor to me did it for me
    IMG_3505[1].JPG
    body with hardware
    IMG_3504[1].JPG
    one of the pickguard screws needs to be plugged and repositioned (top left, I can pretend it is a pin router hole), I also cut too deep when beveling, I have since replaced it with a warmoth pickguard. The neck pocket is actually a little less than 1/32 too far back, so I need to flush trim the edge of the pickguard to get the neck to fit.

Bill Hicklin and 61LPSG like this.
  12. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

I'm using that Philadelphia Luthier Nashville bridge, it's very nicely machined and looks great. I'd totally recommend it!

Kris Ford, Marn99 and Sunburstman like this.
  13. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

I agree Philadelphia luthier has great stuff very reasonable prices!!!

Kris Ford and Marn99 like this.
  14. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

nice and clean. very nice.

Marn99 likes this.
  15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I agree with Bill..........Faber is great.

IMHO I'd only bother with Vintage PU's & Harness.

My '54 Replica has '58 P90's & I have a stack of '55 GT Vintage parts...........but as a friend says it is Window Dressing & I agree with him.

Can't see the point of replacing the TRC, Back Plates & Knobs with Vintage '55 parts. It does not change what it is & what it is is just perfect. I also have a full '55 Harness that I could use but I'm not really sure that will add anything as this Replica is just perfect.

I also used a MojoAxe Wraptail Bridge..........which IMHO is way better than a Vintage option.

I get that people want to think their Guitar is closer to Vintage with Vintage Parts etc., but it doesn't change what it is, so why not use better parts if that is more cost effective & adds to playability etc.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

61LPSG and Marn99 like this.
  16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Having seen this guitar in person.....it looks great. Although I still need to hear it in person (must pick a visit time that doesn't turn into a family reunion)

The other thing is accuracy vs tone. Now if you only ever have 1 set of hardware on a guitar then you are not going to know differently.....but if the guitar you build lacks something with the super expensive accurate parts.....will you choose to live with cosmetic accuracy and a tone that might bug you, or try and fix the tone by tweaking hardware.

RAG7890 and Marn99 like this.
  17. Marn99

Marn99 Member

That's a good question, and something I will definitely take into consideration. to be honest I would be quite unsure of what to do about that, I guess it would be more of a wait and see thing? After all, things like tailpieces can be swapped out easily and tested to see if I like them or not.

18. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Hey Marn99! These guys have 4 ply explorer pickguards with measurements taken from a real explorer. These guys are great to deal with and they also carry DMC parts.
    http;//stores.ebay.com/crazypartswebshop?_trksid=p2047675.12563
    the other website is under crazyparts.de

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Marn99 likes this.
  19. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

lol - I'm lol because someone has warned him off them. Not me.

You do get a packet of Haribo's with each order, though. I think its a German thing.

Marn99 likes this.
  20. Marn99

Marn99 Member

I have my reservations about crazyparts, A fellow luthier in Europe has told me that he has had serious issues with them in terms of contacting them, shipping, and flaking plating.