Gibson ‘running out of time — rapidly’

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by paruwi, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

Studios now are like $1,600-$1,700

crazy, eh?

2. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

They're selling Studios for closer to two grand than one and I agree it is insane.

Junior prices are beyond comprehension. $1400

The amount of potential sales lost to competitors has to be staggering and it's their pricepoint to blame.

Guitarists love their MIK, MIJ, MIM, MIC guitars when done right.

You already have the resources in place Gibson to regain market share.

WAKE UP!

3. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Gibson charges what the market will bear...economics 101. They make guitars in several price ranges from the $600 range all the way up to $10000 +. Some people, myself included, won't buy a chinese guitar...some people will collect Epiphones. Some people will collect Yugos or Reliant Robins or Hyundais. To each their own. Guitarists are a funny bunch. Gibson sells the hell out of custom shop guitars...

4. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Of course with all of their bond and loan debt essentially coming due in a 12 month stretch there is no realistic scenario where they can pay that without another round of loans.

I think a snapshot of the current guitar market paints a negative picture, especially with Guitar Center on their way out. Gibson will still exist after Henry loses it here shortly, but who knows what it could become.

5. Malikon

That's why I jumped on that Goldtop Tribute when I saw it. At that price for a MIA Gibson Goldtop it seemed like a no-brainer. Not when you see what they're charging for Studios and Juniors.

Yeah yeah, *no binding no gloss,...don't care I have that on my other Les Pauls. Meanwhile it's a solid-body Les Paul that has everything a Les Paul needs minus binding and a glossy shine. (which if I really cared, anyone can gloss up a satin finish, it just takes buffing and elbow grease.)

But I think the Tributes are looking like the best bang for the buck. And they're less expensive than a MIA Fender.

I was looking at MIA Telecaster for the last couple months but I stumbled onto the 2018 Gibson Tribute like a week ago and was like,

[​IMG]

thought about it all week and decided to go for it.

$1,600. for a Studio is insane. But the Tribute seems like a deal in comparison.

*-the edge of the maple cap makes a nice faux binding around the body however.

6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Damn, I paid around that for my 2015 Trad Classic ABR-1 Limited Edition. And that's full gloss, 57 Classics, binding and nibs.

I think my Special was priced right at sub-$600 as it's a straight up slab body.
    But over 1400 for a Studio or Junior (which like my Special is a $700 guitar) is nuts.
    I'm glad 2015 was a bad year as I got some great deals on new out of the box guitars in 2016 and 2017.

bulletproof likes this.
  7. Malikon

Silverburst Studio - $1,800
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTEH18SBNH

Vintage Sunburst Studio - $1,650
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST18VSCH--gibson-les-paul-studio-2018-vintage-sunburst

Smokehouse Burst Studio - $1,650
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST18KHCH--gibson-les-paul-studio-2018-smokehouse-burst

To be fair they have neck binding now so they're almost a Standard, right? Just needs body binding. And they do come with a Hardcase.

That Smokehouse is a sexy color.

but yeah, high prices for a "Studio"

(I like that the Tributes are solid. Is that what they're Tributing? The days when Gibson made them solid with no weight relief? :laugh2: It has pointers and reflector knobs too. Schmexy! :dude: )

8. MikeyTheCat

I'm going to guess that Gibson doesn't consider a Studio a no-frills guitar anymore.

bulletproof likes this.
  9. Malikon

probably not, look at the specs. Nice pups that are coil-tapped. A hardcase. Trap inlays and neck binding. I mean really that's a nice LP guitar only missing the body binding.

I think the Tributes and the Fadeds are probably the "real" Studios these days.

I think the Fadeds are chambered too now though.

Really the Tribute the more I think about it is kind of a deal.

bulletproof and azzapeel like this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Moving production overseas increases profits, but never lowers prices to the customers.
    Maybe they’ll lower the Standard from $2800 to $2300. Maybe. I doubt it. Most likely, they’ll keep it all the same.
    And to me, country of origin matters a great deal. Not for nationalist reasons, although seeing “American” brands made elsewhere makes me sad. It matters because of the difference in workers rights. I don’t support anything made in China when I can avoid it.
    Somewhat ironically, my ship will be in China next week and we’ll load up with Chinese stuff bound for the US.

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

How's that working out for them?

Businessmen have been known to misjudge markets before ... or be unable to adapt to changes in that market.

12. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Same here, I hope they keep the made in USA for Gibson, it's part of the mystique.

bulletproof and Malikon like this.
  13. kiko

kiko Senior Member

CRAZY money for sure! studios were originally meant as the working musicians Gibson. What happened? They have sure priced themselves out of the competition and are now paying for it.

bulletproof, wildhawk1 and SteveGangi like this.
  14. Davio

Davio Alchemist Extraordinaire Premium Member

Are you implying that Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence have two sons named Bill? Double "huh"s were plentiful growing up in that household I suspect. LOL

Dan Gibbs likes this.
  15. Davio

Davio Alchemist Extraordinaire Premium Member

I had a 1994 white Studio that even had the ebony board. Other than binding and block inlays, it was a custom. Them selling that then for well under a grand made me realize that binding and block inlays were not worth an additional grand or more. Their pricing structure never made much sense.

16. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

Really sad news. Gibson could make the best guitars out there that we all could afford. Prices for their higher end models are just insane, and tailored for the very wealthy. Personally this goes for Fender as well. I understand more attention to detail costs more, and those people need to be paid. Who knows, I really hope it doesn't go south with a thunderous bang. Good luck Gibson!

bulletproof likes this.
  17. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I clarified my original comment in post #54.

18. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Those $800-$900 Epis would cost $4000-$5000 if they were US-made Gibsons

chibson-logo.jpg
    would be in the middle, I guess

19. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason Silver Supporter

20. MikeyTheCat

And I don't know if that confusing pricing structure is intentionally that way or not. When I first started playing you had pretty straight forward models and pricing. Now you did have a lot more distinct models (335, SG, LP, L5-S, Marauders,etc) back then and I wonder if that's where the confusion comes in now. Gibson instead of selling more models is now selling more variations of the same few models, with some of those variations not meaning much except big price differences.