GFS Crunchy Pat & VEH pickups for beginner?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by sebass, Dec 26, 2017.

1. sebass

sebass Junior Member

Hello guys. I have cheap pickups in my LP now and i'm looking to upgrade but i'm a beginner and don't want to spend $200/pickup YET, but I stumbled upon GFS Crunchy Pat pickup and i love the tone. However i'm unsure if i should do GFS VEH as second pickup or both GFS Crunchy Pats. Not sure if Crunchy put in neck and VEH in bridge? Would this combo work? Recommendations guys?

Here is what i'm basing my decision upon.

GFS Crunchy Pat Humbucker Neck Pickup

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  2. sebass

sebass Junior Member

I'm actually changing my mind to GFS Vintage '59 in Neck 8.2k (Jimmy Page tone) and Crunchy Pat in bridge 14k (metal and hard rock, V.H tone) as it will give me more versatility as Fat Pat is 10k.

Not sure how middle with both of them will sound?

3. metale

metale Senior Member

I'll take a look at their range, what do you want to play with it? How metal do you get?

Cheers

Edit: ok, so I checked them. This is all IMO.

Neck, the Vintage '59s no doubt.

Bridge either the Vintage '59s (I would and I'm a metal head) or at most a VEH.

You can easily get a 8K alnico 5 into metal with a tube screamer boosting/EQing the tone befor the amp.

Also I think it's easier to get wrong a 14K pickup (make it muddy either by design or materials) than a 8K one.

My two cents.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    sebass likes this.
  4. sebass

sebass Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. VEH sounded muddy to me but i wanted metal pickup in the bridge that can do metal distortion like crynch or duncan super distortion.

What styles of music GNR, Motley Crue, metallica, Van Halen, Led Zepellin, Megadeath but only symphony of destruction. Not sure vintage 59 would meet that challenge. I dunno.

I already bought those two but GFS pickups are so cheap i can definitly add vintage 59 for bridge. That crunchy pat in neck in first video sounds really good too.

I'm also debating of putting .015nF instead of .022nF in the neck and .022nF in bridge. Undecided.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. metale

metale Senior Member

I like .015 in the neck on Les Pauls, yes.

sebass likes this.