Getting Started with a Helix

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by drew365, May 17, 2016.

1. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

My Yamaha DXR12 came today. I haven't played through it yet because I'm having trouble loading IR's.
    I have 40 IR's imported into the editor. They show up when I click Impulses. But I can't seem to get them to load into a patch. When I select an empty block and then select Impulse Response, there are only two sample IR's available to put into the patch block.
    I tried to copy from my Impulses list but I can't paste into the patch block.
    I tried dragging them from my Impulses list, but they don't latch to the block.
    A bunch of the IR's that are in my Impulses list, were loaded into my Helix when I bought it and have OH at the beginning of the name. I assume they are OwnHammer IR's. I'm also trying to place my 3 Sigma Audio IR's I bought. Neither work.
    What's the dumb trick I'm missing?

2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Okay, I fingered it out. I was trying to load the IR's into the block. I didn't notice that the IR block "slider" has all of the loaded IR's available to rotate through. Dam you can go nuts with all of these cab options. I didn't realize it till tonight but I scored again with my Helix. Besides a bunch of Glenn DeLaunne patches, there's a bunch of Own Hammer IR's loaded. They sound the clearest. Not always the best, but they have a lot of presense.
    Oh, and my Yamaha DXR12, demo unit, rocks big time. I'm starting to sound like a pro, well almost good at the very least!:applause:

3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ya know the whole "returned helix" made no sense to me because I watched that unit come in and go into the display case. It stayed there.. then I watched it leave when I got it for you.

Perhaps it was a special demo piece loaded up for Sam Ash. I am going to ask my buddy on the history of that unit. Stay tuned:hmm:

4. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I guess they could have loaded the unit up at the store. There were 40 IR's loaded. A bunch of them have OH at the start of the file name, and some have a U87 mic. I feel like I made out pretty good. The unit works perfectly and there were no scratches, so I have no complaints. I was just assuming it might have been a return. Between the deal you got me on the Helix, and the deal I got on the DXR12, and the fact this rig is killer, I'm a happy camper!!

5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah something is very strange with that.. I don't think they would have loaded it up at the store. They are not that tech savvy..

Who knows, all that matters is you got a great deal and you have full factory warrantee. I will find out more details about the unit when I get to the store again.

6. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Hey guys, I just read the thread because I am gassing for a Helix LT or the normal Helix Floor. I am undecided yet, but I won´t buy before Christmas anyways, so it doesn´t matter atm:)

I just wanted to share an Idea I had for travelling to rehearsals/Gigs with the Helix and my guitar

I want to buy this Gigbag and use the acoustic guitar compartment for the Helix. Saves me at least one bag to carry:)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_g_pg_e_a_double_bag.htm

Cheers and thx for the cool thread (I know it´s a year old now, but I don´t mind XD)

I hope you´re still happy with your Helix(es) :)

7. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Agree! That's why I doubt mine will ever be on the floor. :laugh2:

I totally get this statement. I think everybody's been there. I don't really get it coming from you as much as I get it coming from me or countless others. You're a sharp, snappy, very talented guy. I think you would have to commit to completely dedicating about 30 minutes to learning the basics and you'd be on your way much quicker than most of us.

8. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

my brain refuses to mix computers and guitars. There's a mental barrier like it takes two different parts of my brain that refuse to work together. To me guitar is analog, computers are digital,..and ...that's kind of that. :laugh2:

I admit in the last year I got into Daft Punk (they have 2 albums I like, I'm not turning into an EDM fan or anything.) ..and one of those albums had a lot of orchestra work in it. Maybe that can help me bridge the gap some,....but even then I think I'd start trying to figure out how to make music with a computer more than I'd try to get used to using my guitar as a computer.

*shrug* ...idk,..it's a mental block.

bulletproof and Pop1655 like this.
  9. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

It seems like the Helix would move around a lot in that compartment. The Helix is pretty heavy and having it move around would make it hard to handle IMO. Personally, I'd rather carry the Helix in a form fitted bag separate from my guitar. My guitar gig bag can be used like a back pack, which works pretty good.

CaptainT likes this.
  10. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

yeah, you are right! I might put a formfitting foam into the compartment, so the Helix won't move around. Good input!

11. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I don't play the guitar any different through my Helix than I do through an amp. The Helix has the amp knobs right on the front. Once I twist a knob, it doesn't matter what's happening in the background, as long as it sounds good. I'm gigging with an amp tonight, just because. I just focus on the guitar playing and try to learn how to control what I'm plugged into. It's all the same. I can sound good or sound bad through either.

cybermgk and Malikon like this.
  12. Malikon

maybe one day,..who knows. It's just not a priority or anything right now.

I've got a killer amp,..I don't really gas for another one.

...ok maybe a Marshall Code, just to play with and as a backup to my little Mustang 1. But my Soul Tramp looms over them all. :dude:

Pop1655 likes this.
  13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Mal, my Kemper, all you really have to do is pick a Rig, adjust EQ knobs for the guitar (like an Amp), and play. Worst case scenario is you might push a button to turn off an effect.

Even the Axe FX is basically the same.

That is UNLESS you want to tweak.

Yes, some guys that do covers, etc, and have multiple sounds live, will set up scenes ahead of time, so they can just footswitch between them.

In reality your looking at it from the wrong angle. You use that 'computer' part of your brain to set things up, et al, separate from your playing time. Set em up ahead of time.

Then the units play just like any multichannel amp, when you play.

14. Malikon

so it's like the Mustang? Ok that's pretty cool.

except whenever I use an actual pedal in the chain it gets all weird. The Mustang is great as long as I stick with the one sound and don't try to boost it with a pedal.

idk maybe one day I'll play with them. It's just so low on my lists of things to do. :laugh2:

when I'm all set up with a new IT career, have my own place, and I'm totally settled and secure finally,...then maybe I'll start playing with guitar computers. :laugh2:

15. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Copy that!
    [​IMG]

frankv and Malikon like this.
  16. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

High end stuff, works fantastic with pedals. I wouldn't have them, and divested myself of all but my 2 fenders if they hadn't. If the particular amp, modelled, being used, acted a certain way with a pedal, it reacts uncannily the same on both the Axe, and specially the Kemper.

AllTheSound and Malikon like this.
  17. Malikon

10-4 :thumb:

[​IMG]

Pop1655 and drew365 like this.
  18. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

The only comment I would make on comparing Mustang user functions and results with one of the high ends is that there is no comparison. Not a knock. I'm a Mustang fan. It's just a different deal altogether.

Shifting to the the Acoustic/helix in the same "bag":
    Not a doable deal !!! I would suggest completely abandoning any thought on that idea.
    JMHO

MusicLaw and frankv like this.
  19. frankv

Listen to you.. hahahahah. Who would have thought..

MusicLaw likes this.
  20. frankv

Ernie Ball.. Yum Yum.... Pedal board.. not so much.. hahahah