Getting my Tweed Deluxe back

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by ac/dcfan87, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

I am getting my Tweed Deluxe back soon!

So idk if I posted this here or not but I was having trouble with my Tweed Deluxe amp. It was originally a Mojotone kit that someone else built, and I had Rondo from the Tweed Deluxe Speed Shop modify it for me. He changed it almost everything except the PT and OT.

Awhile back I began experiencing static and crackling noises. It coincided with higher gain settings and harder attack at the strings.

I sent it back to Rondo and after sometime he found out the OT was bad. Now I realize that it was most likely bad for quite awhile but it just didn't show itself right away. He replaced it with a vintage OT unit.

He spent quite a bit of time working on it to diagnose the problem so I owe a big thank you to him for doing that.

Really looking forward to getting it back, as it is the best performing amp I've ever played. I really want to play it again!

If anyone is interested in a Tweed Deluxe style amp, go to Rondo at the Tweed Deluxe Speed Shop. You will not be disappointed and when you hear his philosophy on how he builds them (there's a vid explaining in his website), you will be convinced by then. And when you play it it will be solidified.

Anyway just wanted to share with you all and can't wait to play it again- healthy this time.

2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

That dude is intense, interesting videos on his site.

bulletproof likes this.
  3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Damn!!! Ole Rondo dont mess around does he!?!? Thank you for the info and very happy you are getting your amp back!....any chance of a vid maybe?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  4. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Thanks!! Yeah for sure I can try to do one!

Also if you go on his website and look for the hot rod service? There is a video demo and the amp in that demo is mine.

His "studio" mods is incredible. This is what a 5E3 "should" sound like. All other 5E3 clones I have heard either don't sound like a real one, or the mods detract from the character of the amp. Ron's mod enhance it not detract from it!

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  5. bulletproof

I found it as well as this one....Ive watched this 3 times already. :laugh2:

cherrysunburst00 and ac/dcfan87 like this.
  6. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

That is a great video, thanks! I'm sure his P2P amp sounds better than mine because of the more direct signal path which lends itself to a smoother and better response. And mine is not one of his original builds. Plus the NOS tubes set and original speaker helps too.

But as he displayed (and it's the same with mine) this amp doesn't just accurately produce a given sound. It actually makes you travel a different path. The response you get out of it makes you play something different and gets you into a new mood that makes you keep on playing.

But it can also reproduce a lot of tones if you want it to. Anything classic rock, blues or blues-rock it can do. Zeppelin, Free, Aerosmith, ZZ Top and yes even AC/DC tones. Texas blues, the Hendrix thing.

His studio "circuit" just gives a lot more usable range out of it. Where the gain gets too hairy and flubby quite easily, this extends the voice of the amp without changing it from what it is.

I tried several different circuit changes to my amp before I decided to actually contact Ron. The typical capacitor mods people suggest do remove some of the bad features of the 5E3, but in the process actually neuters the amp.

This is still cathode bias, still same 5E3 architecture. Still plenty of bass, even with single clips. It shines with single coils. It will shine with any guitar and sound very different.

No more flabby and breaking down sound of too much bass. The harsh treble artifacts in certain situations is gone. The tone control is opened up to actually work. And interactivity between channels works better to achieve different sounds. The full gain of the amp is accessible and usable.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  7. bulletproof

Tell ya what,brother....my heads just a spinning. So many amps,too little money.:rofl:

However,I do see one of Rondo's tweeds in my future :yesway:

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I will not buy another amp, I will not buy another amp, I will not buy another amp,...

AmpedUp and bulletproof like this.
  9. bulletproof

I hear ya,brother!!! Its so damn difficult to not just blow my bill money and go for it:rofl::rofl::Ohno::rofl::rofl:

10. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

You will not my disappointed my friend! It might become the most special one you own.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

I feel ya dude! LOL
    Cool thing is when I get it back I will essentially have a new amp!

He went through and reflowed every solder joint and replaced a few components including the OT! Siked!!!

12. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Or do you mean "Sykes'd"

bulletproof likes this.
  13. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Sure that works!

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  14. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I live in the U.K. & I emailed Ron about getting a p2p about a year ago - I never had a response. Is he still making them?

15. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Yes he is still making them.

bulletproof likes this.
  16. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

I would try again if your are serious, S!#$t happens. I've only ever asked questions or commented on his work and he has always been quick to respond every time. Genuine good dude who takes pride in his work, IMHO.

NIce!!!! Just listened. I would have really liked a before and after.
    Congrats!

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  17. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

As an owner of vintage Fender Tweeds and having played and heard more originals, repros and emulations than I can remember, to my ears, Rondo makes the closest thing to the real thing I have ever heard. Congratulations on your amp!

rclausen and ac/dcfan87 like this.
  18. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I'm gassing for one of these now...dammit lol

19. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Now that I know they service vintage tweeds, I spoke to Rondo today about doing some maintenance on my 60 Deluxe. His shop is within driving distance from me and I would love to sit around with him, some amps, some guitars and pick his brain. Hopefully, I can arrange everything for next week.

Matty likes this.
  20. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Ron is a one man operation. He does all the research, he builds them himself. He tests them throughly for days and plays them to make sure everything is 100%. And his number one priority is customer happiness. He wants it to be a special amp and be everything it should be. He could honestly charge more for what he does but he is so passionate about it that he just wants to do what he likes. I really respect his passion for his craft.