Getting my first 59

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by awangoreng, Oct 1, 2017.

1. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Hi all,
    This is my very first post in this forum. A quick intro, i am 28yo from a small town far east of Indonesia (you probably heard of Raja Ampat, one of the last few paradises on earth, yes i live there). I dont consider myself as a guitarist nor musician because of my skill is way below average. However, ive been collecting guitars for the last 4 years. Looking at them hanging on my showcase and listening to them gives me chill thats worth more that what i paid for them.

My current collection are Martin D45, original vintage 1969 Telecaster, custom shop Es345, 2013 historic reissue 1958 Les paul, Taylor 814ce 2013, 1998 limited edition of 10 1958 fender custom shop strat by jason smith, Slash vermillion and vintage reissue tele 58. I am selling my avri 58 and slash vermillion to fund my first 1959 LP.

So here is where i need your help

I am very confused whether to get collectors choice or TH murphy aged. I dont have access to compare each of them. The closest store that has some of them is 6 hours flight to singapore. I havent paid them a visit though. The other option is buying online from japan used market. thats why i need your input here. Things i consider is mainly investment value. I am not trying to make profit in the future nor selling it, but it gives satisfaction to see the value of my collection is promising. Second consideration is i am not that kind of sell and buy another one kind of guy, so i am very picky when making my decision.

My options at the moment are TH murphy aged, cc gruhn burst (both used from japan), CC kathryn, CC dangerburst, CC carmelita (available in singapore) and Artist series Tak matsumoto aged (used market in japan). Their prices are all on my budget (around $6500-$9000).

I really love TH murphy aged and cc gruhn burst that i can buy from Japan used, however i notice that the collectors choice series are actually is above TH but the price is Identical or even more expensive than some of CCs because of murphy aged.

The CCs i really like is kathryn, it looks exactly as my dream 59. However, the value doesnt look promising on this one.

Carmelita has better flame and definitely is more promising in value. but i do not like the aging, it looks too "new".

Danger burst, a bit over my budget but still acceptable. However i do not really like the aging on this one.

The last option is tak Matsumoto 1959 artist series reissue. Listed in Gibson website, the price is quite high, but i do not really like the top and aging. Still acceptable though. Note that artist series is below TH and cc CMIIIW

I am very sorry for this long long read and bad english. Ive been trying to read older posts but still havent found my answer.
    Hope to hear your input, thank you very much

Who likes this.
  2. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

CC Carmelita

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Wow -- you have a great collection already, and it looks like you'll be adding another great one. All the guitars you list are great, and you'll get different opinions and hopefully will make the choice that pleases you best. I would go for the Murphy, myself. I have never had any interest whatsoever in imitations of other, specific, individual guitars -- the whole CC thing -- because I think the effort of replicating the appearance of another individual guitar is a waste, and actually a bit bizarre. On the other hand, I think of Tom Murphy as the reigning artist when it comes to replicating the effects of age and playwear, and I would rather have a guitar whose purpose is to display his art than one that looks like a real original that someone else owns. I respect that others feel entirely differently, for equally good reasons, so you'll have to decide for yourself. It's great to read how much you enjoy your guitars. That's absolutely reason enough to own them!

4. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Thank you for your reply,
    wiseman once said everything happen for a reason. Last week i was in contact with Niconico about their Murphy aged TH. However, they cannot keep the guitar for me until late November when i have spare time to travel to Tokyo and pick up the guitar even if the guitar is fully paid. I was quite upset that day.

Two days later, i found a CC #2 Goldie Serial number 8* which is aged by Tom Murphy. The seller told me serial number below 100 comes with black hardcase is more special because the RW fingerboard is still from one piece of RW board. Serial number 100+ comes with new CS brown case made by two pieces of RW board. I cant find about this information though.

I didnt like it at first because i never liked the ding neck but after doing a quick search and there are so many positive comment about this i decided to get this Goldie. Some members even mentioned the Goldie is the best CC and Reissue R9. The guitar is now heading to my place, should be here by the end of this week. i will definitely share some pictures =D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 3:59 AM
  5. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Yeah nice gear! +1 on Carmelita! ...Take the flight and touch her first though! :cheers: