Getting my first 59

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by awangoreng, Oct 1, 2017.

1. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Hi all,
    This is my very first post in this forum. A quick intro, i am 28yo from a small town far east of Indonesia (you probably heard of Raja Ampat, one of the last few paradises on earth, yes i live there). I dont consider myself as a guitarist nor musician because of my skill is way below average. However, ive been collecting guitars for the last 4 years. Looking at them hanging on my showcase and listening to them gives me chill thats worth more that what i paid for them.

My current collection are Martin D45, original vintage 1969 Telecaster, custom shop Es345, 2013 historic reissue 1958 Les paul, Taylor 814ce 2013, 1998 limited edition of 10 1958 fender custom shop strat by jason smith, Slash vermillion and vintage reissue tele 58. I am selling my avri 58 and slash vermillion to fund my first 1959 LP.

So here is where i need your help

I am very confused whether to get collectors choice or TH murphy aged. I dont have access to compare each of them. The closest store that has some of them is 6 hours flight to singapore. I havent paid them a visit though. The other option is buying online from japan used market. thats why i need your input here. Things i consider is mainly investment value. I am not trying to make profit in the future nor selling it, but it gives satisfaction to see the value of my collection is promising. Second consideration is i am not that kind of sell and buy another one kind of guy, so i am very picky when making my decision.

My options at the moment are TH murphy aged, cc gruhn burst (both used from japan), CC kathryn, CC dangerburst, CC carmelita (available in singapore) and Artist series Tak matsumoto aged (used market in japan). Their prices are all on my budget (around $6500-$9000).

I really love TH murphy aged and cc gruhn burst that i can buy from Japan used, however i notice that the collectors choice series are actually is above TH but the price is Identical or even more expensive than some of CCs because of murphy aged.

The CCs i really like is kathryn, it looks exactly as my dream 59. However, the value doesnt look promising on this one.

Carmelita has better flame and definitely is more promising in value. but i do not like the aging, it looks too "new".

Danger burst, a bit over my budget but still acceptable. However i do not really like the aging on this one.

The last option is tak Matsumoto 1959 artist series reissue. Listed in Gibson website, the price is quite high, but i do not really like the top and aging. Still acceptable though. Note that artist series is below TH and cc CMIIIW

I am very sorry for this long long read and bad english. Ive been trying to read older posts but still havent found my answer.
    Hope to hear your input, thank you very much

Who likes this.
  2. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

CC Carmelita

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Wow -- you have a great collection already, and it looks like you'll be adding another great one. All the guitars you list are great, and you'll get different opinions and hopefully will make the choice that pleases you best. I would go for the Murphy, myself. I have never had any interest whatsoever in imitations of other, specific, individual guitars -- the whole CC thing -- because I think the effort of replicating the appearance of another individual guitar is a waste, and actually a bit bizarre. On the other hand, I think of Tom Murphy as the reigning artist when it comes to replicating the effects of age and playwear, and I would rather have a guitar whose purpose is to display his art than one that looks like a real original that someone else owns. I respect that others feel entirely differently, for equally good reasons, so you'll have to decide for yourself. It's great to read how much you enjoy your guitars. That's absolutely reason enough to own them!

awangoreng likes this.
  4. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Thank you for your reply,
    wiseman once said everything happen for a reason. Last week i was in contact with Niconico about their Murphy aged TH. However, they cannot keep the guitar for me until late November when i have spare time to travel to Tokyo and pick up the guitar even if the guitar is fully paid. I was quite upset that day.

Two days later, i found a CC #2 Goldie Serial number 8* which is aged by Tom Murphy. The seller told me serial number below 100 comes with black hardcase is more special because the RW fingerboard is still from one piece of RW board. Serial number 100+ comes with new CS brown case made by two pieces of RW board. I cant find about this information though.

I didnt like it at first because i never liked the ding neck but after doing a quick search and there are so many positive comment about this i decided to get this Goldie. Some members even mentioned the Goldie is the best CC and Reissue R9. The guitar is now heading to my place, should be here by the end of this week. i will definitely share some pictures =D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    apfelbaum likes this.
  5. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Yeah nice gear! +1 on Carmelita! ...Take the flight and touch her first though! :cheers:

awangoreng likes this.
  6. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Package arrived, one of the knob broke but luckily neck is safe. I have to be grateful, it is almost 8 hours flight (3 stops) afterall and the broken knob can be fixed perfectly.

Tom Murphy did an amazing job with the aging. It feels "old"

Cant wait another 3 more hours to go home and plug this burst IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

Look at that weather check
    IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

7. NoRythm_LP

NoRythm_LP Platinum Supporter Premium Member

And the crowd goes wild... WILD I TELL YA!!! (insert whatever the emoticon is for "Hell Yeah, That's some awesomeness right there!")

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Now, that's a beautiful thing you have there. There's definitely something about a thinly-finished, mellowed top that is just so attractive -- it really makes you want to handle and play the instrument. And there's no sense of the guitar being enclosed in a layer of finish -- it's as if the wood and the finish are fused into one surface. (PRS and Collings come closest, in the new guitar world, of creating finishes so thin and fine that they approximate this look.) Everything about your guitar is gorgeous. You must be thrilled!

9. awangoreng

awangoreng Junior Member

Hi all,
    The guitar is awesome, every note is very clear. When i play more than one string at once, each note sounds very clear and differentiate to the other note.

After having this guitar for like two weeks, i am going to give my personal review (experience). Please note that i am just a bedroom player, i dont even consider myself an intermediate player. Nuff said, here is my review.

Review

This cc2 is my fourth Les Paul, first was 2013 Gibson Les paul standard premium quilted maple, second was Slash Vermillion and third is CS 2013 R8. Compare to the non custom shop Gibson, the quality is far far superior. You cant really tell it, but the feeling is there. So i am not going to compare he cc2 with LP std and Vermillion.

Finish
    The cc2 is aged by Tom Murphy, i have no experience with vintage burst but first time holding this guitar my first thought was "man, this guitar feels old".

The plastic material on Cc and Th series are claimed to be different compare to the normal historic series. However, i dont see any differences compare to my historic R8.

I love how the burst is kinda "shy" where most of the time you cant really see the flame. I once read, the original burst doesnt look anything like AAAAA flame maple on newer Gibson or CS gibson. I notice that on most of the original burst video too. But once you get the right lighting and angle, the flame will reveal itself and it is far more beautiful than AAAAA maple on newer les pauls. The goldie is exactly the same as the original burst, its hard to see the flame but once the angle is right... see it yourself

Shy moment
    IMG_1872.JPG

Under strong lighting at the right angle
    IMG_1881.JPG

Side by side with my R8
    IMG_1907.JPG

However, i have to admit that even Tom Murphy (probably John Cruz too) cannot artificially make the weather check perfectly.
    Compare to my original vintage 1969 tele, the weather checking on original vintage is silky soft and there's like "underneath" feeling and you cant really see it unless you really pay attention to it. Its even hard to see it in the photo but here is my best shot to show the weather check

IMG_2146.JPG

Because of the "shy" burst is just like the original, i give 10/10 on its finish. Tom Murphy aging work gives extra berries on top of the cake. Beautiful

Sound and Playability

I love how the goldie expresses every single note clearly and differentiate to the other note when play at once. Its easy to reach extra Gilmour bend because the playability is low yet creamy

The extra edging work on neck binding doesnt give extra comfort as it was advertised though.

It sounds awesome but not better compare to my R8. Each of them has its own beauty so none is better than the other. I personally feel R8 has more sustain and "power" when plug into a Marshall. Goldie wins when i plug it into my Princeton, every single note shines. Far superior compare to R8 clean tone.

I personally love the playability on the R8. I really really love the chunky neck. The Goldie feels like my old standard les paul.

Conclusion

It sure is an awesome guitar. However, the price you pay for this guitar is not for how it sounds but more for how it is limited and how it looks. You own one of the last few Tom Murphy works and some said he is quitting in near future.

You simply dont compare the Gibson USA Les Paul to the Custom shop one. Cs quality is far far far superior. I still remember my premium quilted maple Les Paul limited run has one of the inlays wasnt glued properly.

Sound and playability compare to my R8. Good but not better than R8. Each of them has its own beauty but remember my R8 is almost 1/3 of the Goldie price, so in this case R8 is still a better sounding guitar. I also prefer the baseball bat neck on R8.

This is currently my most expensive collection. Compare to my D45 martin, i feel it is more worth it to spend $$$$$ on premium acoustic compare to electric. My D45 is far more superior in sound and playability compare to my Taylor 814ce and i can feel the reason why the D45 is almost 3x more expensive than the 814.

In Les Paul case, i dont see that the Goldie is far better than my normal R8, i dont see or feel that Goldie is worth almost 3x more expensive than my R8.

Do you regret buying it?
    Not at all

Lastly, is the Goldie worth it?
    To me "yes it is".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Slater529 likes this.
  10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Great review, and you made an excellent choice. Goldie is right up there with the most sought-after reissues, and it looks as though you got a special one. Enjoy!

11. Archie090612

Archie090612 Senior Member

very nice purchase I personally wouldn’t choose it for my self but if it’s what you like and you can afford it who cares you only live once, I don’t like the whole relic thing but your tele and d45 I’m sure are a dream to play