Genuine Case for a Genuine True Historic LP?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by zetrex, Sep 25, 2017.

1. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Just make sure to get the correct thread pitch for the TH gold plated Philips head screws though.

:laugh2:

Nippon and zetrex like this.
  2. zetrex

zetrex Senior Member

:yesway: Recordings on CD have a quality that is is over human ear sensitivity. MP3, AAC, etc are too compressed for that : pay attention to cymbals for instance...:confused:

RAG7890 likes this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.....pretty open & shut case for CD’s right there. :thumbs: :applause: :D

:cheers2:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  4. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Should have bought the TH. The case that come with the TH are more biologically and anotomically correct.

zetrex likes this.
  5. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

The Star is part of the Gibson Custom Logo...

6. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

My case for my '16 or '17 standard historic R7 has now survived 7 trips to gigs and jams without any problems
    I was nervous at first because of all the talk of them being no good but it seems to operate as a case just fine.
    [​IMG]
    It was lightly aged from the store so I don't worry about it getting scuffed up.

7. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

All three of my CS guitars' cases say Gibson Custom and one is a TH

8. zetrex

zetrex Senior Member

Yes, I know that. But I didn't know the Standard and the TH could have different cases.

9. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

My 2016 R9 shows January 19, 2016 on the warranty card. And the case shows Custom too. Maybe Gibson switched things up during the year?

IMG_0249.JPG

10. amorrow

amorrow Senior Member

I haven't paid much attention to the cases, but I imagine differences are due more to time than TH, Standard, M2M, etc. But we all know how good stores like GC are at keeping guitars matched to their original cases and certs, too. lol

Gibson has actually made a couple changes to their cases since reintroducing the brown Lifton style. You'll find the badge change as mentioned, as well as different latch styles. Some cases as PierM showed have all drawbolt latches, others use the original style latches as shown by the OP and GT40.

FWIW, my '15 TH has all drawbolts and my '13 uses the old-style latches. Both have Custom on the badges. You see the OP showed a pic of a TH case that has the old-style latch with no "Custom" on the badge. This makes me believe no one model has a certain spec of case. Between mine and those shown in this thread, we've seen different combinations of plate and latch style changes '13 to current. I'm more puzzled by the latch style changing back and forth since '15. I'd guess it's likely the Custom may have been dropped from all badges for this year, and the change is just starting to be worked into production.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  11. zetrex

zetrex Senior Member

That's my opinion too, yes.

12. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned is the old brown Lifton's are neat to look at when at home but are thief magnets at jobs and are chancy during transport affording about as much actual protection as Old Johnny's gunny sack. Way too many great cases that will do the job than dealing with a poorly designed aging antique setup that flatly won't do what they supposed to do in the first place protect the guitar particularly the neck and headstock..

13. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Just bought a fresh 2017 Custom, done in July, and case it's still the same with Gibson Custom badge.

14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just checked my 2014 M2M and 2015 TH60 , Both have this type of case ....I'll be setting up an appointment to do an eye check shortly .... Never noticed this . Then again , the case ain't what I'm overly concerned with , as long as it closes properly and the guitar wont fall out .

PierM likes this.
  15. zetrex

zetrex Senior Member

My guess is that the "Custom" word disappeared on the 2017 models. But as I don't own any, I can't confirm.

16. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I think the cases are good for storage or light travel use. Not that great for high volume gigging if the guitar is handled more roughly.

Both my 2013 and 2014 have the Gibson "Custom" badges.