Generic higher end modeling comment

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pop1655, May 21, 2017.

1. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I have to preface my thought with that it's based solely on what I wanted. I'm just never in a place where blasting a full stack is something I'd ever do. That comparison just doesn't apply. My quest was strictly as home player trying to produce a sound for that setting, personal recording and the ability to produce a tone in a relatively small venue or jam setting.

You also have to excuse some of my enthusiasm because right now I'm still pretty giddy about my new toys.

There's so much talk out there (or in here!) about "I can sound almost as good" or "as good" along with "I've got 5000 amps in one little box". It was never about that for me. I don't need to sound like a full stack. I'd be totally content if I was locked into choosing from about three presets.

I made a comment yesterday to a guy without thinking about what I was saying. After I said it, I realized it summed up my quest. For me, it was never about trying to sound "as good as" or being able to get that sound in an easier package option. I was looking for something that sounded better. I was looking for a tone I could come close to, but never quite actually find in an amp.

My giddiness isn't because I've discovered I don't need the amp anymore.
    My giddiness is because I don't want one anymore.

JMHO YRMV

AmpedUp, kboman, mdubya and 5 others like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Were you one of the guys early on that thought I was nuts talking about how good Fractal AXE FX was and how I thought and still do that tube amps are no longer needed in my life?

3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

No, actually I wasn't.
    My quest has always been one of discovery, not one of change.
    My first stop after a 30 year layoff was going from a 60's blackface Princeton to a simple Champion 20. I was so blown away by its capabilities for like 75 bucks I think, that it made me wonder what else had the world had done in 30 years.

mdubya, Donal, frankv and 1 other person like this.
  4. frankv

Ya know, if there was one type of player that this technology is tailor made for.. it's US.. and I say US, the home player/hobbyist, because that makes up MOST of the members here in this forum.

The frustration I feel reading some of the posts on this regarding "which tube amp for home" drives me absolutely nuts. It does because I have tried every possible combination including every conceivable brand of attenuator. The answer is not which amp. The answer is which modeler. For home, and I could argue on stage even more so, the modeler is a perfection solution to the age old complaint of It's too loud or to thin at low volume.

The proof of this is not what I say or have said and for guys to just take my word for it. The proof lies in all the guys, including you POP, that have tried this approach to amplification and have discovered there is a much better way to enjoy our art.

I also wanted to address your comment about not needing 5000 amps and only needing 3 presets. While that might be true today, you might feel differently as your skills grow and your tastes change. Not only that.. But as I and others have discovered, some amps sound better with some types of guitars and not so good with others. So having a wide range of tonal options can only be viewed as a good thing.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I can't emphasize or agree with the above enough. K, not that my skills are that great, cause they aren't. But, just like some amps are less and more responsive, the models are as well. And, as your playing progresses, or simply changes, you'll find new ways to express yourself because of these amps and their differing responses.

AND, frankly (or should I say Frank vee :naughty:), some of these different amps HELP me improve and get better. They can not only inspire, make me want to play more, etc, but they can also expose my sloppiness in technique.

But, that is also the beauty of the tech. There are a myriad of motivations, reasons, to get into it, and a myriad of players needs satisfied. One size can fit all, and fit them perfectly

S_G_D and frankv like this.
  6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I don't disagree. Just saying it wasn't a big part of the major attraction. More like icing on the cake. The Fx were!

7. frankv

Couldn't have or wouldn't have said that better Tim...

cybermgk likes this.
  8. frankv

But ya know what.. here's the problem around this place. There is too much blabber mouthing going on and not enough clips being posted. I think I will have to change that today and get some stuff up.

mmd likes this.
  9. frankv

AmpedUp likes this.
  10. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I finally watched the Chappers & the Capt Kemper videos last night (I haven't really paid much attention to Kemper, but I was feeling a bit more curious lately). Watching them stumble over which was the "real" amp, and which was the Kemper was pretty funny. I know someone posted those vids in another thread, but it seems to fit here. They never would have believed it if they didn't try it themselves.

I've had some sort of modeling amp for almost as long as I've been playing. Never had a tube amp until I had been playing for 15 years. I can't say that I like one over the other, as I enjoy both.

If I was a touring artist, I'd definitely be taking an Axe/Kemper/Helix on the road, though. It just makes too much sense not to (at least to me).

Regardless, I still own 2 tube amps and a Two Notes Torpedo Studio. I still use them as much as I use the Axe, as it just depends on the mood. I've tried selling the tubes, but I bought amps no one wants, so I'll just enjoy them until they meet their ends.

Franky, I will definitely post most stuff as I'm able. Life has been hectic lately, and is looking to get crazier in the coming months. :yesway: