General consensus on routing out vintage Norlin for full size PAF's?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by vklobucar, Nov 17, 2017.

1. vklobucar

vklobucar Senior Member

Please forgive me if this has been asked but what is the general consensus on installing full size PAF'S on an early 70's stock Norline LP GT?

My 1971 is all stock and presently in for new frets. I will be installing two P90 pickups in place of the stock mini-humbuckers but toyed with the idea of some nice full size PAF's.

My tech and I both agreed that it was too valuable and old to mod like that and at the end of the day we opted for the P90's.

What dictates vintage in your book and what might you have done? 483825_144778115690184_1456524840_n.jpg 23667279_1490660281027693_480240636_n.jpg

brianbzed likes this.
  2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Stick with P90s. Best choice anyway. P90s Rock!

scottyk, kiko, Progrocker111 and 4 others like this.
  3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I'd be more concerned with why you think humbuckers are better for some reason? :fingersx:

4. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

man, don't....I mean it is yours and you can do what you want, but you can never undo that.

There are plenty out there that it has been done too already and you can usually get at great prices.....I bought a 76 about 8 months ago that had been routed...you can get them at very good prices.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

^^^^^^^^ This!!!

Some clown did a similar thing to my Shaws!

Wax potted and ruined them when he could have bought any number of aftermarket pickups already potted for his playing style.

You really can't go back...

6. HardCore Troubadour

I am a little confused...how did wax potting ruin your pups?

7. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

I'll happily answer that if you're not just pulling my leg.....:dunno:

KV242 and cooljuk like this.
  8. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I’m more confused: the OPs pics show a guitar with full sized routes and humbuckers already in it.

DarrellV and Who like this.
  9. judson

judson Senior Member

reasonable points can be made for either choice...and the choice is yours.

if you dont care what the next person thinks of your mods and dont care about future value plus or minus might be ...go for it if you are doing it for a reason you think is valid at that time.

and we all say we are never selling my xxxx guitar...but your widowed wife may or your kids may want to play it, but your dead so let them deal with it...:rofl:

i am starting to lean towards leaving most of them as-is and just play em
    unless i get a hell of a deal on something that needs a change for the better...

10. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I'll only say this: there are plenty already routed on the market. the bone stock ones are becoming harder and harder to find. I cringe when I see people converting their actual 1954 guitars to '59 specs. I get the same feeling when someone converts one of my beloved Norlins.

mdubya, Thumpalumpacus and Who like this.
  11. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

That's an example. His guitar is the one on the bench.

I say "don't route".

If you need a humbuckers guitar (you don't), get one.

While your guitar isn't "vintage", it is rare, and they are not making any more.

jeff_farkas and judson like this.
  12. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I agree. The "conversions" are an abomination unto the lord.

They aren't "conversions", they are wrecking vintage guitars. For every "conversion", there's one less true 50s Les Paul.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  13. HardCore Troubadour

Not kidding I have seen 1000’s of wax potted pups that ate not ruined.....

jojo likes this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Nah, put P-90s in it. You'll get a different sound than the minis (though I love that tone, myself), you'll retain resale, and you'll satisfy that mod-demon without hacking up what is becoming old and hard-to-find wood.

judson and DarrellV like this.
  15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If you are used to the vibrant tone and depth of a non potted pickup.......the potting often makes it quite 'flat' by comparison. It is especially noticeable for low output pickups which more rely on that 3D type feel to make them special.
    Of course this is a matter of personal taste too. So the same person hearing the same pickup might not understand how someone else could think there was a drastic change.....we all listen for different things.

KV242, DarrellV and cooljuk like this.
  16. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

I would have done what I wanted to do. Its just a guitar.

17. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Depends on the pickup. A (signal) chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Start with a mediocre pickup or listen to it though a less than transparent rig and you may not notice a change. Potting vintage humbuckers though - that's a real shame.

DarrellV likes this.
  18. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Non-routed Deluxes are getting to be rare birds, meaning that the market value of a non-routed Deluxe is higher than that of a routed one.
    Your guitars market value will instantly drop by appr. 500 USD the second the luthier chips away the first pieces of wood from the pickup cavity.
    (In fact, i would probably keep one of the chips of wood, encase it in plexiglass, wear it as a necklace, and tell everyone who asked that this chip of wood cost 500 USD...)

Now, the big question is still, are non-routed mahogany neck deluxes so rare that any existing specimen should be preserved in their original state for the rest of time (a testament to history - and a collectors dream), or are they just Les Pauls that are so ubiquitous that it doesn't matter one iota what you do to them as long as you get the tone you want from them?

...no matter how you answer that big question, if you want the sound of a full size humbucker and NOT route your Deluxe, you can actually just about fit a regular humbucker into the P-90 cavity - with the caveat that you cannot use a pickup cover, and you may have to modify the base plate of the full size humbucker to get it to fit.

Provided you absolutely must have a 70's LP, You could also just sell your unmolested guitar and use the proceeds to buy an already routed Deluxe which would be cheaper (if in the same condition) and then you'd have money to buy the exact pickups you want in a LP.
    If you just want the LP sound, then sell the deluxe and get any Les Paul (or even high quality Japanese copy) that you think sounds right.

19. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

I'd save up and buy one with humbuckers. The cost of modding the guitar and the loss in value wouldn't be worth it for me. It's not an instrument that could easily be replaced. If it gets damaged somehow during the converson or do don't end up liking it after for one reason or another there really is no going back.

20. HardCore Troubadour

I understand the effects of wax potting, but I thought he meant "ruined" as in the pups no longer functioned or worked etc. etc.

DV you will never get it all out but if you are patient and careful, you can remove a LOT of it, without harming the pup.