Gene Simmons and Ace Frehley Reunited

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Who, Oct 1, 2017.

1. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I saw this surfing YouTube yesterday. Good to see them onstage together again, but I don't expect anything to come of it. Ace was wasted. :/

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  2. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Reports by those close by said he wasn't, he was just being Ace.

Nippon likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

It's probably good for Ace too ... so long as he has his lawyers go over the fine print this time around.

4. Thumpalumpacus

He sounded loaded, flufflng one of his easier riffs.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nice to get feedback from a guy who was actually there.
    :thumb:

truckermde and Norton like this.
  6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

When hasn't Ace fluffed a riff? :D

7. Norton

Norton Senior Member

I'm not saying ace was drunk but he was definitely not "normal". Could be medication. Could be his new wig. I don't know.

I'm hoping for the best for him. I'd love to hear him at top form, and see him do a makeup tour with kiss. But I can't see how that could happen now.

The videos are accurate. He's slurring his speech, is essentially shouting - not singing at all and can't play even up to his usual standard. Earlier in the day they all gave some press interviews and Ace was talking totally normal. On stage it was a different story.

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Dude’s a 70 yr old rocker who used more drugs than a field hospital in a war zone. That he can talk at all is miraculous.

9. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

I think they be doing a bath salts.......:squint: How much money was involved?:doh:

10. Thumpalumpacus

Yabut, that riff? Come on, now. Needs to be tight (sobriety available for a small upcharge).

11. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Ace had it right. Gene and the rest of the band had it wrong. Shame they couldn't follow him.

Normally I forego purple, but once in a million years it's warranted.

12. Norton

Norton Senior Member

"Ace Had it right"

Maybe if he was playing by himself.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  13. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

KISS was the first concert I ever saw, Madison Square Garden, maybe 1979, it was the next tour after the KISS Alive II. The stage was like a space ship or something, all white as I recall. I was way disappointed, wanted to see the lighted stairs from Alive II and those costumes. Oh well, it was a short show, like two hours including encore. Gene spit blood, spewed fire, flew up to the rafters, Ace's guitar smoked and sparked, Peter lip synced to Beth on a stool that must have said "sample" it was the touchy feely moment of the night. Oh yeah and Paul pouted and shouted in a shrill voice.

Meanwhile later that summer, a friend asks me to watch his albums for the summer. Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Zep, Stones. etc. A small but life changing collection. Listened to Jimi Hendrix's "Smash Hits" and ran up to the room and ripped every KISS poster off the wall and never looked back. The funny thing is I still hear those songs in the order of that album, you get used to a song order and hear it long enough and that order is locked in for life. It's weird.

14. fry

fry Senior Member

Kiss was my first show also, same tour, 1979. I went on to like other things, but I will always enjoy that old stuff of theirs. When I move on to something new, I don’t turn my back on what I previously liked. I’ll always feel like some of their early stuff was as good as anything from that era. I listen to I heart radio a lot, once in a while I’ll hit their channel. When the song “Cold Gin” comes on, I am in heaven.

15. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

At the time at age 14 I think it was more about taking that next step growing up than it was about turning my back. I was a kid, the same generation that ruined KISS for the older fans. I was that kid that dressed up as Ace for Halloween and had the KISS dolls and everything KISS, Comic books WITH REAL KISS BLOOD, and I was almost insane leading up to the KISS movie they made. They could have filmed just about anything (and they did) and I'd have been over the moon, I was so into KISS. When I discovered all that incredible music it just felt like me shedding my skin and growing into another type of music fan, from a kid to a more adult setting. I still remember KISS ALIVE II though, wore that thing out. Shout it Shout it Shout it out loud, we got to have a party.....Shock Me...

Here's something you'll find amusing, I can still remember seeing this on tv at the time. One person says a phrase I'll never forget for some reason. He called KISS "paganism for pubescence" I always thought that was funny, still do. But this was the show 1979. I still consider the first "real" rock show to be Journey a year or two later at Nassau Coliseum.

16. fry

fry Senior Member

Who opened for them when you saw them in ‘79?

17. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I have zero memory of that, can't remember whether I missed them or there wasn't one although I suppose there was.

I'll tell you what I do remember, that's how much more musical Journey was than KISS. KISS was visual and it was high theater, but Journey blew my 15 year old mind musically speaking. They were great musicians, and they just ripped it up, BTW Loverboy was the opening act for Journey, still remember that one.

MikeyTheCat likes this.
  18. fry

fry Senior Member

That’s funny. I was talking to a guy at work a few years ago, and we were exchanging concert stories. He had also seen Kiss on the same tour, but we lived in different states at the time. He asked me who the opening band was, and I couldn’t remember, I had not thought of it in years. I had to dig down deep in my brain, and it all of a sudden came to the surface: Judas Priest!! I don’t know how I had blocked it from my memory for so long. Anyway, I was 11 years old, and had no idea who the hell Judas Priest even was, so I didn’t really appreciate seeing them at the time. Now it bums me out to think that I saw that show, I had no appreciation for it at all.

19. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Thanks, Norton! The video didn't make things sound very good.

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

KISS rides on Ace's coattails. Always. :naughty:

northernguitarguy and Who like this.