Gary Moore

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by moodyedge, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Well, just got home from "Gibson Day" at The House of Guitars. Since I knew that I'd be looking at/playing Bursts, I listened to Gary all the way there to make sure I was in the mood :)laugh2:) and all the way home, to stay in the mood. There was a lot of focus on "Blues For Greeny". I just can't get enough of that album and in particular, this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3IHf4QRO4I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwUQ6gbKIo[/ame]

And this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uh-uBcjv4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvBDCh-x_pA[/ame]

If I had the extra ca$h laying around, I could have walked-out of HOG with at least three Historics. Oh well, maybe next time?

R.I.P. Gary. Thank God we still have your music.

3 people like this.
  2. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

A fellow GM fan whom I helped find a GM 2000 Signature guitar for her husband sent me some GM discs as a way of thanks and I got DDIP as well as Live at Bush Hall 2007.
    The live album booklet has some great pictures of Stripe and Gary's original Bluesbreaker combo!
    A great album even with the DSL's (not my favorites) featuring some great playing. I highly recommend it!
    Emerald

2 people like this.
  3. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Gary inspires me daily. I just scored a guv'nor mk1, and can't wait til it gets here! I get to do a tiny little weekly blues webcast. It's been a great way to introduce new people to Gary's music, as well as satisfy fellow devotees. Gary lives on in our hearts and minds through his music..

And through your kind generosity in sharing with us Emerald, thank you so very much!

1 person likes this.
  4. Midnight Blues

Very cool Emerald! Are the pics scanable?

:cheers:

5. Midnight Blues

Nice SK!!!! I'd love to get a Guv'nor myself one of these days!

Is your webcast open to the public?

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  6. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Yes I will post these soon!
    Emerald

1 person likes this.
  7. Midnight Blues

Cool. Thanks Emerald!

8. Thunderheart

Thunderheart Member

Gary's music is timeless. When I hear him it's like the first time. I've been listening to BBM....Around the Next Dream. There is a track titled Glory Days. Gary plays two leads and both are awesome. I've had this on loop in my car for days.

Thanks to all for posting.

9. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Great stuff guys!
    Emerald

2 people like this.
  10. Midnight Blues

It's hard to believe, but it's been five years today. R.I.P. Gary. The only saving grace is that we still have your music to remember you by.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9hCIiZ-gE[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  11. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

5 yrs !!! seems like yesterday :shock:

12. larryguitar

larryguitar Senior Member

Damn... :(

Larry

13. Midnight Blues

Unbelievable how time flies no doubt.

14. Midnight Blues

Don't remember if this was already posted, but who cares, it's worth posting again anyway!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrOzYYGPzDM[/ame]

15. Midnight Blues

I think this may have been posted in a separate Thread (?), but I think it belongs here too:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCQ1WxrMZuo&index=3&list=PLDOiIiYLl1KtW6M7ahA32n_r3N97vYBTz[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  16. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Midnight, it was my understanding from those who know that Gary had at least several Collectors Choice #1/Gary Moore Aged. In the video is Artists Proof #3 with hang tags still on. I know for a fact that Gary received #1 of the Collectors Choice and can be seen playing it on the Montreux DVD. The #1 also has Bare Knuckles PG Blues set pickups fitted.
    This is the one Gary played the most so they may be leaving it out of the proposed sale..
    Emerald

1 person likes this.
  17. Midnight Blues

Hi Emerald,

You're right (as usual when it comes to Gary!). According to the article, Graham states the following in a sidebar next to a picture of this guitar (CC #1, "Artist Proof #3"): "This was one of the prototypes, an "artist final proof" model of the Gibson Guitar Company Collector's Choice #1 VOS. This is the Melvyn Franks model guitar, the non-aged version, as the aged versions were christened the Gary Moore model. This will be a very rare item, as it's #3 of possibly only three artist's proofs. It's stock from the factory, still with all the tags.

Unfortunately, this guitar arrived well after the model had been launched and quite possibly after Gary's passing, for some reason, as up until then only the prototype of the aged version #CC1 had arrived, which Gary used on the Summer of Rock tour in 2010. It's fitted with Bare Knuckle PG Blues humbuckers [with an out-of-phase in-between tone], replacing the out-of-phase Gibson pickups."

I think for the time being, the one he played on the tour (along with many other items) will not be part of the auction (either at this time, or not at all?), which according to the article, may be in June, although Graham also said that "...there's no reason why the less-documented stuff couldn't go out before then."

It was really a GREAT article! My only regret is that it wasn't longer!

:cheers2:

18. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Midnight,I just managed to see the magazine first hand at a bookstore. Wish the whole edition had been dedicated to Gaza!
    One of my English mates has the magazine in the post to me which was a nice gesture.
    Just a thought ,Vic DaPra the famous burst collector/author apparently is building recreations of aged bursts I believe.
    Maybe a Stripe model could be produced?
    Uncle Louis Gantos who owns Gary's old '58 burst says it's a lovely sounding guitar and he can't understand why Gary disliked it. I told him Gary already had Stripe,Greeny and a Gold top so maybe too many guitars.
    I believe.that #9-2227 Stripe is such a phenomenal instrument that the Montrose failed lawsuit shouldn't prevent a Stripe replica coming out. There is a Montrose '58 CC already out so ..
    Emerald

1 person likes this.
  19. Midnight Blues

That would have been nice if the whole issue was dedicated to him. It's still a keeper nonetheless!

Re the '58, I think Gary was spoiled; Greeny, Stripe, once you've played the best, it's hard to take a step backwards! :laugh2:

As for "Stripe", I hope you're right. It would be great if there was a reproduction was produced!

:cheers2:

20. Gemm

Gemm Senior Member

I guess you guys want to hear Gary's playing but I thought I'd post my acoustic version of one of the favourites. Hope you like it. :jam:

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/gemmferrane/parisienne-walkways[/SC]

3 people like this.