Gary Moore Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Easye921, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

I have a 17 Les Paul Standard and love the tone he gets. My question is do you think it will be worth it to swap out my BB pros for a set of Seth's or antiques? I want a warm, fat, and smooth neck pickup. For the bridge I want something with a little more bite, but not too trebley. I'm playing g through a Laney Lionheart 20w with greenbacks.

brianbzed likes this.
  2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Depending on when did you get the guitar... if soon, wait till you get all what the guitar can give and then decide to swap pickups

My .02

3. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

Yeah I've had it for a couple months. I might try raising or lowering the neck pickup. I kinda like the bridge.

Mockbel likes this.
  4. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Gary a very unique tone! A large part of the equation was his touch. For amps he used "Marshalls turned up VERY loud" (quoting from an interview of him,Monsters of Rock video). I'm fortunate to have a Gary Moore signature guitar. The pickups are stock Gibsons. From what I've been able to find out, they are PAF type, Alnico 5 magnets and slightly overwound...nothing too exotic! I'll bet with your Laney cranked and EQ'ed to taste you can get really close to the Man's tone....Good Luck!

Mockbel and freebyrd 69 like this.
  5. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I had pickups commisioned to Gary`s specs/tone based on years of research and my personal pickup swaps over years. Wolfe Macleods Caretaker set. They are truly the closest thing I have ever heard to Gary`s tone.
    having had a fallout with Wolfe years ago, I no longer am in contact with him but I believe he still makes them.
    Good luck.

6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Which Gary Moore tone? For many years he was playing blues licks with an 80's hair metal tone. It wasn't until his later years that his tone got good.

You want Still Got the Blues? Get a digital delay.

jmho.

CheopisIV and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. lvrpool32

lvrpool32 Premium Member

Sadly a set of pick-ups will not get you Gary's tone. I had the pleasure of seeing him many times live and no matter where he was playing or what he played with/through, he sounded like Gary Moore. It's been said many times that the tone is in the fingers and that's right, but it's also in the players "ears". I saw him playing Marshalls (plexi's, JCM900's, SLX's), Soldano's (SL60, SLO's) , with different pedals Tubescreamer's, Marshall Guv'nor, he used old Les Paul's, new Les Paul's , PRS's, Hamers' and still sounded like him.
    An overdriven Marshall sound with a pedal to push it even further and plenty of reverb (Gary was a fan of Alesis) will get you on the same street as his sound, but the rest is DNA.

LpCustom2007, Mockbel and judson like this.
  8. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

I love the loner tone. Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm gonna stay with what I got. The Laney is a very Marshally type amp and the BB pros from what I've heard were what was offered in his signature guitar. I could be wrong on that. As for the delay, I'm using the sa nemisis. I'm a gear nerd and a huge Gilmour fan, so i have way more pedal than I need. Sadly, I've found I normally only use three: Guru amps optivalve compressor, buffalo FX Tdx and my Vick Audio tree of life.

mdubya likes this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Good thinking. Screwdriver before soldering iron, y'know?

Perhaps raise your neck pickup and drop the polepieces, and do the reverse on the bridge p/u -- drop the body of the pickup and raise the polepieces back to the original spacing.

10. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

You almost have to melt the tubes, and your vibrato technique must be refined. Not sure the pickups have a lot to do with it, maybe the last 2%.

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

You want a “warm, fat, and smooth neck pickup” like Gary... run your neck pup fairly low, turn the tone down to 0 and your gain way up. This is Gary’s neck pickup on Stripe... as you can see... it’s not very high.
    [​IMG]

JohnnyN likes this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

..........lots of practice. ;)

:cheers2:

1all's Pub likes this.
  13. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

The one set of Seths I had in a LP did not deliver a fat neck tone, and had no bite or balls at all in the bridge. The BB Pros you already have are closer to what you're after than Seths, in my experience.