Gary Moore Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Easye921, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

I have a 17 Les Paul Standard and love the tone he gets. My question is do you think it will be worth it to swap out my BB pros for a set of Seth's or antiques? I want a warm, fat, and smooth neck pickup. For the bridge I want something with a little more bite, but not too trebley. I'm playing g through a Laney Lionheart 20w with greenbacks.

brianbzed likes this.
  2. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Depending on when did you get the guitar... if soon, wait till you get all what the guitar can give and then decide to swap pickups

My .02

3. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

Yeah I've had it for a couple months. I might try raising or lowering the neck pickup. I kinda like the bridge.

Mockbel likes this.
  4. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Gary a very unique tone! A large part of the equation was his touch. For amps he used "Marshalls turned up VERY loud" (quoting from an interview of him,Monsters of Rock video). I'm fortunate to have a Gary Moore signature guitar. The pickups are stock Gibsons. From what I've been able to find out, they are PAF type, Alnico 5 magnets and slightly overwound...nothing too exotic! I'll bet with your Laney cranked and EQ'ed to taste you can get really close to the Man's tone....Good Luck!

Mockbel and freebyrd 69 like this.
  5. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I had pickups commisioned to Gary`s specs/tone based on years of research and my personal pickup swaps over years. Wolfe Macleods Caretaker set. They are truly the closest thing I have ever heard to Gary`s tone.
    having had a fallout with Wolfe years ago, I no longer am in contact with him but I believe he still makes them.
    Good luck.

6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Which Gary Moore tone? For many years he was playing blues licks with an 80's hair metal tone. It wasn't until his later years that his tone got good.

You want Still Got the Blues? Get a digital delay.

jmho.

CheopisIV and freebyrd 69 like this.
  7. lvrpool32

lvrpool32 Premium Member

Sadly a set of pick-ups will not get you Gary's tone. I had the pleasure of seeing him many times live and no matter where he was playing or what he played with/through, he sounded like Gary Moore. It's been said many times that the tone is in the fingers and that's right, but it's also in the players "ears". I saw him playing Marshalls (plexi's, JCM900's, SLX's), Soldano's (SL60, SLO's) , with different pedals Tubescreamer's, Marshall Guv'nor, he used old Les Paul's, new Les Paul's , PRS's, Hamers' and still sounded like him.
    An overdriven Marshall sound with a pedal to push it even further and plenty of reverb (Gary was a fan of Alesis) will get you on the same street as his sound, but the rest is DNA.

8. Easye921

Easye921 Junior Member

I love the loner tone. Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm gonna stay with what I got. The Laney is a very Marshally type amp and the BB pros from what I've heard were what was offered in his signature guitar. I could be wrong on that. As for the delay, I'm using the sa nemisis. I'm a gear nerd and a huge Gilmour fan, so i have way more pedal than I need. Sadly, I've found I normally only use three: Guru amps optivalve compressor, buffalo FX Tdx and my Vick Audio tree of life.

mdubya likes this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Good thinking. Screwdriver before soldering iron, y'know?

Perhaps raise your neck pickup and drop the polepieces, and do the reverse on the bridge p/u -- drop the body of the pickup and raise the polepieces back to the original spacing.

10. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

You almost have to melt the tubes, and your vibrato technique must be refined. Not sure the pickups have a lot to do with it, maybe the last 2%.

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

You want a “warm, fat, and smooth neck pickup” like Gary... run your neck pup fairly low, turn the tone down to 0 and your gain way up. This is Gary’s neck pickup on Stripe... as you can see... it’s not very high.
    [​IMG]

Fiesta Red and JohnnyN like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

..........lots of practice. ;)

:cheers2:

1all's Pub likes this.
  13. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

The one set of Seths I had in a LP did not deliver a fat neck tone, and had no bite or balls at all in the bridge. The BB Pros you already have are closer to what you're after than Seths, in my experience.

14. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

A Huge fan of Gary Moore here....
    I've created a thread similar to this many moons back. But all in all, here are some things you must look out for.

1) Your pickups should be as close to a PAF pickup they use in the 59's Burst. Seth Lover comes to mind but Gary uses Bareknuckle PG pickups in the PG/GM '59 reissue is Parisiennie Walkways during his Montreux 2010 show. He uses what I believe to be stock pickups in the various Burst Reissue guitars during that particular show. Else, the pickup on his signature Les Paul were BB1/BB1 (for the 1st run) and BB Pro/BB Pro on the latest models. His 59 Les Paul uses stock pickup as well. So I'd say don't change it just yet.

2) Your pedals. He uses a crap ton of overdrives and reverb (Delay in his rock days). Here's a thread to the pedals he uses in 2010 http://garymoore.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-25.html.

He used the T-rex Moller in his later days. If you're after the Still Got the Blues 90's tone, he use a Marshall guv'nor into a driven amp. His later days sounds like he use heavy overdrive pedals into an amp that is also slightly overdriven. Reverb if you hear the 2010 Montreux guitar tone, you can hear the reverb is put in the front of the amp rather than the fx loop. The ideal here is to drive the amp really hard and ram a reverb into the front of the amp (I'm sure most of you could hear it as well)

If you're into his Rock Tone in the 80's, he uses mainly EMG 81 into a driven Marshall amp and Delay rather than reverb.

3) Amps. He uses mainly Marshalls. In 1993 during the Live Blues, he can been seen using a Bluesbreaker. His 2010 Montreux performance, he used a pair of Marshall 1959HW head with 2 4x10 cabs. Before that, he mainly use a JCM900 (Though many ppl say it's pretty bad compared to the 800... but that's what he use). You can hear his tone is fat, piercing (mainly from reverb to the front of the amp... depending on reverb pedals themselves), a lot of treble (what I assume mainly comes from the pedals if you go to the link and see his set up). You must never scoop out the mids because that gave him the rich fat tone. Rather, scoop in the mids and cut down the bass to tighten up the sound on your amp (though this will vary from amp to amp... just go with your ears.)

4) Himself. You must have a finger of a god... That's all I'm saying. No matter how close your tone sound like him... Unless you're him you'll never able to sound 100% exactly like him LOL

But all in all, he uses lots of expensive gear but the essence of Gary Moore tone is really his phrasing and vibrato... Gary's vibrato is really very strong but he is in control of it and without it, no matter how good your tone is, you'll no where be close to Gary.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

I was surprised how close the Antiquities got me

16. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

Gary played a lot of different gear and always sounded GARY!
    Because of his musical and playing unique talent which is hard or not to copy.
    So you will go a long, stony road and steep path ... with
    hear and practise , hear practise , hear practise x 100000

sorry - his play and tone was not from this planet like so many other of my heroes ...
    Gary RIP
    any Les Paul and Marshall combo will show you the way ...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017