Gary Moore Tone!! Love it, what's his rig!!??

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by yamariv, Jun 27, 2016.

1. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Hey Guys,

So I've recently discovered Gary Moore and now understand why he's called The Great and a Guitar virtuoso!! :wow:He's absolutely ridiculous and may now be my #1 Favorite Guitarist.

The sound I am wondering about, is his live recording on YouTube where he does a cover of Hendrix's Hey Jo with his Red Strat. His tone is hard to describe in words but it's insane. It's very clear and crisp, loud but not too much distortion but still in your face with an awesome echo.

Does any other Gary Moore fan know more about his rig, amp and pedals he's using to get a sound like that? Of course his picking/playing style will add to it but where would a guy start to get a Strat to sound like that?

Thx!

2. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I'll admit I know next to nothing of Gary Moore. But he's so beloved around here, I'll have to do a crash course.

4. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Start with Blues Alive and work both forward and backward from there.
    Also see BBM, Skid Row(not the metal band from Jersey), Colliseum II and Thin Lizzy.
    Also Greg Lake has 2 live albums featuring him.

3 people like this.
  5. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks for a place to start.

6. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

Start here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-PtmcPyK0[/ame]

And here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3dapDTDJzk[/ame]

Two of my favorite songs from Gary Moore. He is by far my favorite guitarist in the world.

Also Check these out too:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuwj1P_Y6rI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9hCIiZ-gE[/ame]

Here is my Gary Tribute

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

One of my friends owns a 1962 Strat that I refresh and set once a year, and it has the same kind of tone than the 1961 red one played by Gary - once plugged in the right pedals and amps, of course. See above and keep in mind that he loved EV12 speakers.

8. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendations, Mr. Satchmo. And I love your guitar. To me, then best looking tops are a mix of plaintop wood grain and plustop flame. Lots of character.

2 people like this.
  9. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

I have to admit it, I'm not the biggest Gary Moore fan in the world as to me, unlike Eddie, Jimmy, Schenker and a host of other cats, he never sounded "natural" but always like he had something to prove (Scott Gotham agrees with me) but he was a pro, and as such to be respected.

When playing a Strat he favoured an old Boss DS-1, obviously through a cranked Marshall, but any real good quality distortion (not just overdrive) pedal will do; the guy in Survivor subscribes to the same theory and he uses a Rat with his Strat.
    In my experience that really works with single coils, as a hint of actual distortion seems to fatten up the sound while still retaining that "clean" thing.

With Thin Lizzy, the Black Rose album and tour, and also with Colosseum II, Gary also used a Strat, or a Les Paul Junior, with an old Colorsound Distortion pedal, one of those massive things(!) and, obviously, through a cranked Marshall!
    The Colorsound reissue pedals sound just as good; they're awesome!

1 person likes this.
  10. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Good info above, thanks! :applause:

Can't open the YouTube links lately for some reason, I'll see if I can fix the problem.

1 person likes this.
  11. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Anyone know more about what Marshall models he used? :naughty:

12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Is he using a tube screamer??

13. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

Most of his best tones were pretty low end rigs. He has the Peter Green LP and some old Plexis, but if I remember correctly, his tone on "One Night in Dublin" was a DSL100 and a Boss DS-1 for the most part.

Gary Moore is proof that tone is in the hands.

2 people like this.
  14. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

He used a Marshall Guvnor pedal on the "Still Got the Blues" album.

1 person likes this.
  15. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

If I recall correctly from an old article, some band was looking for that tone. When Gary was asked, he said it was simply a 1959SLP reissue driven by an old, original Guv'nor pedal.

But the really important part of getting his tone is attacking the instrument like Gary did. He knew where he wanted to go at all times and when to dig in and hammer it when needed. If you don't have a style like that, you can have Gary's entire rig and it still won't sound right.

8 people like this.
  16. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

Absolutely. And he attacks it with dynamics that most people can only dream of.

Most of us would love to be able to play like him, but what people miss is that energy came with a heavy dose of what Led Zeppelin called "light and shade." He could make a guitar purr or scream, and never touch a pedal doing it. Mostly he worked his right hand and the tone and volume knobs on the guitar. He was a true master.

Reading about his rig is one of the reasons I started simplifying my own. He used more pedals than I do, but he often used pedals most gear folks would turn their noses up at. The DS-1 being a good example, the Guv'nor another. He could take off the rack gear and make it sound incredible. I mentioned "One Night in Dublin" -- I'll never forget the first time I watched that and thinking "what is this voodoo he uses -- how does he get that great tone?" Then I realized he was using DSLs. I'm almost certain he used a DSL for the Strat Pack show, too, where he melted faces playing "Red House" on that old Fiesta Red Strat of his. His tone always sounded bigger than anything else on the stage with him, and yet it always sat exactly right in the mix.

For "One Night in Dublin," he was also playing his signature Studio -- with Burstbucker Pros in it and all. Neck pickup flipped, the whole 9 yards. There were no secrets. He was the secret.

4 people like this.
  17. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Well said!! :applause::applause:

2 people like this.
  18. kazaakas

kazaakas Junior Member

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned: out of phase humbuckers.

You generally do lose a lot of output and low end if you do that. Wire the humbuckers in series with each other to counteract that. Changes the tone though.

Long story short: consider Jimmy Page wiring so you can experiment on-the-fly with all of these options :).

2 people like this.
  19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Only Greeny was OOP, and thats only the mid posi. He also had Stripe, which was the guitar on Still Got The Blues song. Plus his 62 strat.

Gary is like Hard rock tinged with blues. Its like taking Slash and putting him in a blues setting - the tone (more modern marshall tone) I find quite similar. In that they both have a lot of saturation, that stinging top-end, and plenty of chops to back it up!!!

The Guv'nor pedal was well known as his drive pedal, and often its into an older marshall on a cleaner setting IIRC.

I like Gary's playing, but he seems to play too much if you want pure blues - Albert King kept telling him to slow down and play less when they did Pretty Woman together. As a good hard-rock or aggressive blues player, he's pretty much unbeatable.

2 people like this.
  20. Emiel

Emiel Senior Member

Short summary:

Late '70s with Thin Lizzy:
    Guitars: '59 Gibson Les Paul 'Greenie' and Melody Maker with Dimarzio Super Distortion.
    Amps/effects: Marshall Super Leads up loud with a MXR Distortion+ for leads.

'80s:
    Guitars: Mostly early '60s Fender Strats (stock), later Charvels super strats with EMGs 81s/85s.
    Amps/effects: Marshall '73 Super Bass with Boss DS-1 for boost. Watch Gary explain it himself:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSPNLSQjm0

'90s and '00s:
    Guitars: mostly '59 Gibson Les Paul 'Stripe' and 'Greenie', later his signature model and ultimately Gibson reissues. Sometimes the early '60s Strats show up.
    Amps/effects: usually Marshall DSL100 with the following settings (got this from an interview with his tech): clean Channel, presence 1, treble 8, middle 8.5, bass 5.3, gain 5, volume 8.2, crunch switch in, deep switch in. This will give a slight break up sound. For solo's he used a Tubescreamer with volume 7, tone 7, gain 6