Garageband, Ableton Live Lite 8, or Reaper?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by rockguitar41, Aug 2, 2011.

1. rockguitar41

rockguitar41 Senior Member

I currently am using Garageband and Ableton Live Lite 8 Focusrite edition to record with. My interface is a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB and I use it, and a mixing board sometimes, to record all basic band instruments(guitar, vocals, drums, bass... etc.). I got Ableton for free and obviously GBand too. Reaper is only $40 but I am wondering about how much better it is then the other 2? and is it worth it? I am trying to make professional sounding recordings and am currently working on an album with my band. Since you cant export as high quality .wav files for CD's on GBand, I have to transfer the tracks on there to a different computer with Ableton. This is a pain and not easy work. Is Reaper worth it to solve these problems and make my life easier or should i stick with the free DAW's? Thanks!:slash:

2. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Apple lossless files are very very good. You just need to convert them to .wav files for the less informed. Try this:

Cog - News

3. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

4. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I have been using REAPER for all my recordings for the last year, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I came from using Cakewalk, Cubase SX2 and Logic Pro Audio and I find it to have at least as many features, but much easier from a workflow perspective. You can download the full version and run it for a while to see if you thing it's worth it. Personally I prefer it for the way I record.

5. renthepen

renthepen Senior Member

I'm a PT guy but I have to agree that Reaper is great. You definitely have to try it out.

6. rockguitar41

awesome, I will download the demo of reaper and check it out!

7. rockguitar41

How does this program work?

8. rockguitar41

for now i might just use gband and ableton since ableton has good mastering capabilities and gband is good for tracking. thanks!

9. loveboat

loveboat Senior Member

I've been using garage band so far. But im looking to upgrade to Logic Express 9.

Silly thing is that they have to trial version of it. So you have to buy before you try... It's also not available on the app store so you have to order a physical box with DVDs. Suuucks.

10. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

Reaper is a full fledge, powerful, DAW....I have had good results with Reaper and for the prices there is nothing out there even close...there is a learning curve with all DAW and the same is true for reaper, typically the more powerful the DAW the longer it takes to learn...I still feel like Ableton has the best flow but is a bit limited...(I still curse the day apple bought Emagic....poor logic, my your greatness rest in peace)

11. dlmorley

dlmorley Senior Member

It's all about workflow. I like Logic but you may not. I didn't like Reaper but ultimately they will all do the job.. I never realized GarageBand didn't let you export at full quality...

12. loveboat

loveboat Senior Member

You can export from garageband at full quality, just uncheck the "compress" check box.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Cog is a free program. I recently bought Logic Express. You can convert your tracks to .wav files. It's a bit complicated for me at the moment because I'm so used to GarageBand.

14. rockguitar41

if you do that, the files are huge apparently. Like 2 or 3 times bigger then they are supposed to be.

15. rockguitar41

okay, i will try the cog thing with garageband to get .wav files. that should work good! thanks

16. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I have recently given Reaper a trial (a week), and today bought the licence. For my recording requirements it more that fits the bill, and I suspect, like all powerful software - Adobe Photoshop, for example - I'll be just scratching the surface in its use.

RichBrew

joeobrien likes this.
  17. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Hey, I know this is not one you mentioned but the new Sonar X1 essentials is about 99.00 and has a terrific workflow the studio version is 179.00 and the producer (which I use) is 399.00 at the very least give it a look. Good luck :)

18. joeobrien

joeobrien Senior Member

Well that's a coincidence, so have I. I tried the trial version a couple of weeks ago and liked it so much I bought the license within a few days as soon as I worked out the LAME mp3 conversion. I'll also not use half its features but so far pretty happy with the results (for an amateur).

Have a listen - they're nothing great and totally improv with lots of mistakes here and there. I'm very new to all this.

Kit: R7>Artisan 15>SM57>Focusrite Saffire 6>Reaper

Two rhythm tracks with chorus, lead with a touch of OD, & reverb added later in the mix. Altogether about 2 hours effort.

SoundClick artist: JoeBlues - page with MP3 music downloads

SoundClick artist: JoeBlues - page with MP3 music downloads