gamer boost headphone amps, can be used w/ guitar amps?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5-0 phonebooth, Sep 3, 2017.

1. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

just discovering these lil gizmos and wondered if they can possibly benefit guitarists / bassists as a quasi pre amp to juice up the sound, or in conjunction with pre-amps or FX, even if a bit of external tweaking is required and that some outputs are not variable? mind you, this isn't planned for anything beyond home fun with a minor rig since there's a Fiio locally on CL and I got curious if they could be a positive surprise.

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Am I right in thinking these only have USB as in input connection? If that's the case, they will work just fine with all of your guitars that have a USB output and support appropriate drivers for USB audio devices.

Maybe the Firebird X 2.0 will have that? Seems like the kind of thing Henry would be into.

If you want to mess around with such gizmos, you will at least want something with an analog instrument level and impedance input.

5-0 phonebooth likes this.
  3. 5-0 phonebooth

thanx, I'm not looking to use it with my computer or digital devices, just as an extra pseudo analog boost if it can be adapted as such. I'm 100% ignorant on these matters, it may be impossible / pointless, but you never know...

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

There are at least a half dozen reasons why these aren't going to work well with guitars.

The most obvious is that your guitar doesn't have a USB output, so you have no way of connecting it.

You'd be better off buying something that's made for instrument level/impedance signals and intended for guitar use. ....and also has an analog instrument input so you can plug in.
    :)

5-0 phonebooth likes this.
  5. 5-0 phonebooth

thanx, among the dozen I'd hoped there'd be that 1 awesome option which would be a revelation. the guy dropped his price so I might get it anyway for it's intended purpose.