G&L VS Fender

Discussion in 'Fender' started by JBLesPaul107, Mar 4, 2008.

1. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

One could argue quite sucessfully that unless it was made in 1964 or earlier, it ain't a real Fender either.

Nash Speaks!

2 people like this.
  2. leftyguitarman

leftyguitarman Senior Member

Leo Fender did not leave the company in 1964, as it says in the article you posted. I'm pretty sure when he sold out to CBS, he was paid a salary as a consultant and he had a lot of decision making power, still. I think he was on a contract until 1967 or possibly 1968.

1 person likes this.
  3. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

You're right. Leo did stay on as a consultant for a few years after he sold his company to CBS.

As evidenced by the desirability of pre-CBS Fenders compared to post-CBS examples, the rest is history as they say.

1 person likes this.
  4. zontar

zontar Senior Member

I would be happy with either Fender or G&L

I would play examples of both and see what one speaks to you the loudest, what does what you want to the best, and can you afford that one.

I've played G&L's that are better than Fenders, and Fenders that are better than G&L's...

So I'd compare them against each other to determine a winner, so to speak.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

You mean the Hispanic guys that work on this side of the border making your guitar are somehow different from the Hispanic guys on the other side of the border making my guitar?
    The differences, gringo, is parts. Cheaper stuff on an MIM in the control cavity, but the parts themselves come from this side of the border. All they do is finish and assemble them.
    And even that can be remedied.
    [​IMG]
    Oh Crap!

1 person likes this.
  6. Gin&Pentatonic

Gin&Pentatonic Senior Member

I've played my fair share of both and I find G&L's, although great guitars, to basically just be pretentious Fenders.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

My bud who works at Larrivee's Oxnard shop says the same thing about their guitars: "They might as well be MiM."

8. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

How so?
    Leo made them, so in fact...they ARE Fenders.
    Just as every time I record, it was a Page on guitar.:slash:

9. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

G&L vote here.

i've owned a fair share of fenders, and would again if i can score the right one down the road. (that would be a really really old one).

but it only took playing a handful of G&L guitars for me to see the consistency of quality you get with G&L and pull the trigger on a custom order bluesboy. i'm very happy with my purchase.

1 person likes this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I like 'em both. I've only played a couple of G&Ls, and both were amazing guitars. I've played Fenders I love, and Fenders I don't really care for.

1 person likes this.
  11. meursault

meursault Senior Member

i tried a lot of tele's... MIM, MIJ, MIA... i tried one asat, felt in love and bought it... it's a '93 classic...

don't get me wrong... i love tele's, and i liked almost every fender i tried... but that G&L got "something", i can't explain... and the playability is extraordinary...

12. sp329

sp329 Junior Member

I have been dying to try a G&L Guitar. From what I've heard, it seems that G&L is the better choice, just the majority of guitar players want the "Fender" name on the headstock. It's like a tablet - there may be better ones that the iPad. I also read a good article comparing G&L to Fender and how you have more options with G&L and that people always say they want the "signature Fender sound" but every type of Fender has different pickups so there really is no "signature sound." I think as long as you can get past the fact of owning a G&L and not a Fender and not getting hung up on the name, you'll be able to really decide which guitar is a better fit for you.

13. jwk0522

jwk0522 Senior Member

I used to get hung up on stuff like that ^^^ but trust me, once you've gotten your hands on a good G&L you won't care what the headstock says!

14. nitrodc

nitrodc Senior Member

G&L if you don't care about the brand name and aren't going to show it off to guitar snobs. Fender if you are.

Pretty simple. G&L puts out better value and better quality, but you don't get the Fender name stamped on the headstock. Personally, I could care less. I see a G&L Tele in my future purchases. :D

15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

i play fender's, but in all reality, i prefer G&L. why don't i have any then? simple, at the times i have been buying, i have come across magical fenders at a lower price than G&Ls. granted the fenders have been used, but that was part of the magic - they were already broken in.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jackassrock

Jackassrock Senior Member

Another vote for G&L. I have an ASAT Special that I got 7 years ago, and I've sold all my Fenders since. Well, that's not true. I still have a MIM strat that nobody will buy because the used market is flooded with them, and I'm not willing to go lower than 300 on the price. I don't ever play it though.

Anyway, the neck on my ASAT is just perfect. It's got serious feel, not to mention it's beautiful with a vintage tint, heavy birdseye, and an ebony board. Their pickups seem to have a bit more meat to the sound as well.

17. Full_Stack

Full_Stack Senior Member

I'm sure G&L makes a wonderful guitar, but the headstock looks like a bad bottle opener to me :(

18. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I've had both, and they're both great. Choose based upon individual guitars in question and how they play, and you'll be happy with either brand.

After all, they're both bastard sons of Leo... :dude: