G&L VS Fender

Discussion in 'Fender' started by JBLesPaul107, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JBLesPaul107

JBLesPaul107 Senior Member

Whats up everyone!!!

I have been thinking about getting a Strat or Tele but I am not sure If should get a USA Fender or G&L??? What are you're thoughts??

:confused:

2. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

I've read alot of good things about G&L both here and other places.

In fact I just bought a G&L Legacy (strat) on auction, so I'll post a report in a week or two. I don't own any Fenders to compare them to though.

3. po-boy

po-boy Member

G&L vs Fender

G&L's give you a bigger bang for your bucks - their quality control is better - every G&L i've ever got my hands on felt 'right' - you can try 10 Fenders before you fine one that has 'it' - i have 2 G&Ls and bought the second on the internet because i was confident it would feel and play great - i would never do that with a Fender - they are for a hands on type of purchase - but i know some Fender guys who look down on G&Ls simply because the headstock doesn't have Leos last name on it - best thing to do is to play as many of each as you can and go from there - don't let the decal on the headstock decide for you

4. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

Like Gibson vs. Heritage. Heritage is probably a better made, better QC gutiar. But one problem - it's a Heritage. Same goes for G&L IMO. Better guitar, but it ain't a Fender.

Thundergod and Jeremiah like this.
  5. JBLesPaul107

JBLesPaul107 Senior Member

thanks everybody for the input..One cool thing from this post i just learned about Heritage guitars on you tube..very cool...

for years i have never liked fender (LPs all the way) but i recently bought the Epi Valve JR i test drove a G&L tele and loved it....Right now I am leaning toward a G&L tele....

6. arcanis494

arcanis494 V.I.P. Member

I say whatever you like best. I wanted a strat, so I played fenders, G&LS, and a bunch of other MIJ brands. My local shop had two G&LS, one of them was better than the fenders one of them wasn't. Just play all the strats in your town and choose the one thats right for you.
    Here's Mine, It's a lake placid blue legacy. It looks pertty in person. :thumb: Not so much with the pictures:(.
    Well anyway it is ALMOST flawless. The tremelo system isn't so great, but I do't really ever use that so I don't care. It really has that SRV vibe going on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oldsawman

oldsawman Member

G&L imo, owned 3 american strats and a tele now have a G&L f100 return edition. G&L much better fretting tone ang sustain.

LEO got it right!

[​IMG]

8. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'll echo what has been said here. Over all, I'd vote for the G&L. Arguably, the products tend to be a little bit different between the companies so one may have the features you like more than the other.

The Gibson-Heritage comparison is pretty fair. Fender = Corporate. G&L = Smaller "family" environment and more hands-on attention to detail.

With all of this though, the best Fender can put out is probably just as good as the best G&L can put out. We're talking about the quality of the average product here. In that regard I would give G&L the nod.

9. drewbertca

drewbertca V.I.P. Member

I'd say test them all and get what plays, feels and sounds best to you....I've played winners and losers from both companies and loved the winers and wouldn't want to live with the losers.....let your ears and hands make the decision for you.....play them blindfolded and have someone hand you the guitars so you're not biased (I can see some shops going ballistic over the blindfold thing)

10. Eddie

Eddie V.I.P. Member

I am getting ready to sell my 1996 ASAT Classic Cherryburst. Great guitar, but I need the money for other things. Contact me if you're interested.

11. VALRIVER40

VALRIVER40 Junior Member

i have a 1994 g+l deluxe custom asat[tel] in brown sunburst. i replaced the pups to 3 noiseless. it is my best playing and sounding guitar!,almost as good as my epiphone les paul.

12. heavy blueser

heavy blueser Senior Member

first of all: which style do you wanna play?

either wy i´d go with he fenders. I personally don´t like the headstocks of the G& l guitars-which does not mean that those aren´t highest quality instruments.

I for my money like fenders better cause of the overall lok and playability

13. Rico

Rico Senior Member

Does anybody know, what kind of rout the G&L legacy has under the pick-guard. I have several fenders and the only one I really like is the 57 re-issue. That has the S-S-S rout. All of the others have the swimming pool rout. Which IMO is a sound chamber, under the pick-guard. The new and improved American Standard Strats now have the H-S-H rout.

14. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Here's my main G&L in the front. ASAT Deluxe with Duncans & a Bigsby.
    Very woody tone.
    I use elevens on it for added fight.

[​IMG]

Sold my other GF&L after ten years to begin the financing of the R9 and Mesa gear.
    ASAT JR. Limited production to 250 pieces. Hollow chambered, excellent tone, but I played it so infrequently that I had to do a setup on it every time I played it.

[​IMG]
    I prefer Fender Strats and G&L Teles. GO figure:confused:

Svet likes this.
  15. Scooter2112

2005 G&L Tribute Legacy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Epi rocks and Bluesman53 like this.
  16. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

:eek2:

I made a mess in my pants. DAMN that is a nice guitar!!

IMHO G&L is what Fender was supposed to have turned into... Kinda like what Heritage is to Gibson. Only the highest of the high quality stuff leaves those doors.

17. gremboul

gremboul Senior Member

The G&L ASAT Classic is a sweet axe...The Fender reissues are awesome...if you get a Tele consider the Hot Rod...it has a minibucker as neck pickup.

I am a traditionalist so I have a Fender...
    [​IMG]

18. Scooter2112

Thanks, Loki. Believe it or not, I just picked that one up used about a month ago for $260US. Sounds and plays great.

Last week I saw the EXACT same guitar (which was a Fender) on Craigslist. I couldn't get over how identical those 2 were from essentially different manufacturers.

I would personally have no problems buying either a Fender or G&L...from watching them on E-bay, it seems like the G&L's don't get 1/2 the attention as the Fenders and you can usually get one quite a bit cheaper used.

19. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I have both, and love both. I have an SRV Strat, and a 93 G&L Legacy that is just unbelievable. I'm not so sure I would buy a fender over a G&L, I'm just glad I have both. But my Gibson R8 VOS is the best. G&L is awesome.

Shane

20. loudlester

loudlester Member

No offense but.....So what & who cares (now-a-days Fender is just a name)! I owned 3 strats and they where so so god awful. Had one with a neck pocket you could park a car in. Found G&L and never looked BACK!