FYI: GC closeout deal on es-175 premium $439 natural

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by matchman, Nov 18, 2016.

1. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Well, after a 2 month battle with Guitar Center ending a shamefully long series of communication drops/errors/etc. by them that resulted in broken promises on their end, and ultimately led to appealing up 2 more levels of management there, they would not make good on anything despite the fact that they caused all of the problems to begin with. So the bottom line is that with Guitar Center, no matter how badly they screw up, they will do NOTHING to make it right. Ended with them trying to sell me something more expensive and I told them their customer service is deplorable and they can shove it.
    I did, however, get one from MF in what has been a very pleasant experience AND price. Will post a new thread on that.
    Bottom line is that one can have good and bad experiences with sellers. You just have to know what their limitations are. And with GC, you are taking a chance on a lot of things. If you order something, you may not get it. Even after the order is accepted and is "processing". And what you get is may not be what you ordered. And you CANNOT TRUST what they say, as far as what they have and what you'll get.
    And if you do have problems, don't count on them to do the right thing.
    At least I've had no problems with returns.

2. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

I'm sorry for your experience with GC, wmachine. I had a similar experience, but not as bad as yours. They tied up my credit card for about two weeks, and ended up cancelling my order. When I purchased it, they claimed that it was in stock. Then they followed up with a series of emails advising me that although it was on backorder, I would be receiving one eventually. When I protested the cancellation, I asked for a price break on a different color, or on a used model. No dice. Then they had the nerve to email me asking if I was satisfied with my experience. Good bye, GC!

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My experience with GC and MF is that if you attempt to purchase an item at a killer deal and it immediately goes to back order with an expected available date, it is never going to happen.

GC and MF are, for all intents and purposes, the same company.

So, if the deal is out of stock with one, they will often have the same deal available on the other's site.

The downside for me is, I have to pay tax if I order through GC.

So I then go to Sam Ash or Sweetwater and ask them to price match. I got at least one extraordinary deal from Sam Ash price matching a GC deal.

4. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

That is how it goes. And I understand how there can be shortcomings in the system as to how an order can be accepted, then OS, backordered, etc. But I repeatedly *spoke* to people, not trusting what the posted and emailed information said. I lost the option to keep one I had because I was promised one was coming (in person). They even attempted to send me a used incorrect older model without telling me it what it really was. All the while holding my money for 2 months. And in the end didn't feel that they owed me anything? This isn't the ineptitude of some of the employees which can happen and often does. When this went up 2 levels of management (with the refusal to go any higher), then this is all Guitar Center as a company.
    And for the record, I was quite nice to everyone I dealt with. So I didn't end up where I did because I was an ass. I also know that some people don't get anywhere because they act like an ass. And then they loudly complain.
    Also, I do know that the store managers have more latitude in what they can do for you. But realistically, most of that is because the vast majority of the killer deals are online only and there is more room in the prices from the stores.

5. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

Have you tried contacting corporate headquarters? Their email and phone number may be hard to find, although I had them at one time. I have had luck in the past with MF corporate headquarters regarding other issues. I would try it myself, but in my case I don't think that it would help. Yours is much more egregious.

6. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

No, I didn't. I did go up the ladder as far as I could by phone. As much as anything, I don't want to waste my time any more than I have. But they certainly deserve the negative feedback. Maybe I'll take the time to let them know what a good job they're doing.

7. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

If you are interested in an Ebony one, GC is having a closeout at $479.97.

8. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Thanks. As I said earlier, I did end up getting a Vintage Sunburst one at Musician's Friend for a bit less than that. I'll do a NGD on that shortly.
    What shouldn't get lost in this is that guitar is *really* nice and well worth even the $800-$1000.

9. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

How did you manage to get such a good deal with MF? I would have bought one there, but they wouldn't do anything for me.

10. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

It was a "scratch & dent" plus 10% off. Add to that no tax versus GC, and 8% back, it came out less for me. Though scratch & dent is the worst open box condition, I'm quite surprised and satisfied with the condition. I've seen new "clearance" guitars from GC in worse condition.
    Full report still coming.

11. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Well... it appears GC is up to its old tricks again... they currently have the ES-175s in Ebony and Vintage Sunburst listed on clearance for $479 on the GC website. I tried to buy one of the Vintage Sunbursts... got all the way to the "Complete My Order" button... but when I clicked it, it errored and said there were none available and instructed me to remove it from my cart.

So... just as a lark... I tried with the Ebony (I'd rather have the Vintage Sunburst, but for $479 I ain't gonna be picky). Anyway... I was fully expecting it to error on my again and say none were actually available... BUT... to my surprise, it actually took the order and gave me an order confirmation and order number. WOW!!! :shock:

That said... I totally expect them NOT to actually send me the guitar. I expect to get an email in the next day or so saying my order is cancelled. But figured what the heck... it was worth a try at that crazy good price. ;). We'll see I guess... will be sure to report back with what happens.

12. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

I ordered one a few days ago over the phone. The sales agent said that there were only two left, and called one of their stores and reserved one. It is scheduled for delivery today. But I really don't think that they only had two left. Best of luck to everyone waiting. Has anyone been notified about a backorder or had their order cancelled?

13. johnnytuinals

johnnytuinals Senior Member

I was able to get my friend to buy one for $397 natural with coupon online..
    I would maybe buy one but hate to also buy a case and will see
    if the price drops more.................JT

14. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Dayum... that's an even crazier deal!!!!! WOW!!

Update on mine: I received an email this afternoon from GC saying it shipped and giving me a tracking number. Actually, kind of a bit shocked. I was pretty sure sure they'd never actually send me one. Either cancel it outright or put it on infinite backorder until I cancelled it myself.

Now... the big question is... what kind of shape will it be in when it arrives? Will I even get out of the store with it or will it be an instant return (ie, will it be a beat up wall hanger that's been fingered by every Tom/Dick/Harry that stumbled into whatever GC it's been at)?

Guess we'll find out next week-ish when it arrives. :D

15. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

As I said on a different Epiphone forum, GS sent me a heavily abused guitar that I sent back. I wonder if they really thought that someone would keep it in that kind of condition?

GS = Stay away (for me at least)!

16. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yep saw your post on epitalk (& relied to it). I've had much the same luck in the past with GC...but, like you, figured I'd give GC one more try. That said, I'm not too optimistic that mine will be much different than yours. We'll see...will keep this thread updated once it arrives (next week).

17. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Just a word of caution. At GC, "clearance" means they are getting rid of dealer stock. Yes, that means that it will be shipping from a (another) store and it most likely is a display model and won't come in the original box even. That is fact, not opinion or an occasional occurrence.
    So if you expect "new in box", forget about it. I do consider that "deceptive advertising", but that is exactly how GC defines "clearance"
    So if you get "new in box" for "clearance", it is just dumb luck.

Now that all said, as long as your don't expect perfect NIB, then you still can make out really good. Look it over and *play it*. If it is a good one, decide if you can live with whatever imperfections it has. Don't make the mistake of sending it back expecting to get another one that is better. EVEN IF THEY TELL YOU there is another one they can send you. EVEN IF THEY TELL YOU they called the store and reserved it for you. Ask me how I know.
    GC is a shameful mine field. But if you know how to navigate there you can still make out. Just don't ever trust them. And when they screw up, don't expect them to do the right thing.

18. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

^^^ Yeah, this is not my first rodeo with GC... I went into this with eyes wide open. I'll get what I get... whether or not I keep it is another thing entirely. Will keep this thread posted.

19. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Speaking as (oh, the shame of it) a former GC salesman, my advise for dealing with them is to turn around and run like a sissy!!!!

20. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

:laugh2:

Believe me, I have have bought several guitars from GC. Half of which I have returned (mostly online sight unseens). I'm not scared or ashamed to just instantly return it if it's not what I want. Just always buy things on your own terms. Know what you want and what you're willing too pay before you walk in. Makes it easy to just ignore the salesman. They are strictly a cashier to me. ;)

That said, I much prefer to buy from my local Sam Ash. Muuuuuch better. :D