FYI: GC closeout deal on es-175 premium $439 natural

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by matchman, Nov 18, 2016.

1. matchman

matchman Senior Member

Regular price $999
    I just got one. Nice build. Thought I share.

2. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

That's an insanely good price.

3. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

You're no help. That is *really* tempting me.
    A $999 EPI and no case? That might be the tilt point for me. Any chance an ES 335 case fits it?
    Hummmmmm.....

4. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

ES335 are thinline, ES175 are wide body. Won't fit.

5. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Thanks. I can see that now.

6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

7. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Yeah, thanks alot. You guys are all a bad influence. I was reading this thread
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379901
    rekindling my hollow/semi body interest.
    That was bad enough, but now this!
    I already have an Epiphone Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 Blue Royale ($399.00 one day sale) that I really like and thought would totally take care of my hollow/semi body "needs". But we all know how that goes. And the cost to step up to the Gibson version is insane. EPI definitely knows how to make a hollow body.
    B/L is that I just pulled the trigger. My "out" is that I can always return it to the GC store for a no-hassle return if I don't like it or simply change my mind. This avoids both the "I should have" from not buying, and buyers remorse *from* buying. Have done this before, and yes, I have returned some. Really lets me "buy with confidence".

Seriously, thanks for the tip, matchman.

Attached Files:

8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

How bout some details! Give us a review please.

9. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00XSnftkD0[/ame]

Sound like a great deal to me.....

10. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Yes, apparently a bit too insanely good? Banter on another website has word that the price was a mistake and orders were cancelled GC and not price-matched on other sites. By Friday nite, price was back to $999.00. I waited all weekend while my order was "in process". Today, I got notice my order was shipped, so I'm happy. Now I see the price is back to $440 at GC. So I have no idea what is really going on there.

11. matchman

matchman Senior Member

I've been watching GC Web site and they keep
    Changing it. I originally purchased for $499 (and thought that was a screaming deal)
    Then it dropped again to $439 and I called GC and they
    Issued me a credit for the difference.
    I actually ordered this and a Riviera
    Knowing one was going back. The Riviera went back. It was real nice but I could not get the action as low as I could with the P-175 without fret buzz (yes I adjusted the truss rod ).
    The P-175 is Korean production and they did a dam good job on the neck and body but a small
    Glue line is visible whereally it joins the body all the way around, being that it's natural finish I see it. The sound is just so different. I'm embarrassed that I like this big body guitar so much, being a les Paul only guy. Its Such an old time throwback.
    I look at it lIke this the Gibson pickups alone new arelease almost $300. So I have $130 into the guitar.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb:

[​IMG]

13. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Member

I waited for too long, but I finally ordered one yesterday between price fluctuations. I am told it is on backorder, so let's hope that I eventually get one. I used to have an old Gibson, but in my youth, I thought it was an "old man's guitar". Maybe it was, but here I am.

14. matchman

matchman Senior Member

Me too!! How funny...
    But I'm getting to be that old guy now. So I guess it works out.
    There is something to be said for age and wisdom.

15. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

The price has been going up and down like a yo-yo the last couple days. "Word is" that they are shipping out remaining stock from all the stores. Mine came in yesterday. I had it shipped to the GC store as I wanted to look it over as it arrived "just in case". It was fine as far as condition from being already opened at another store, but there was what appeared to be separation of the neck-to-body on one side. The finish was on top of it, so it came from the factory that way. I did not accept it. They reordered one saying it would also have to come from another store, as they showed none at the warehouse. Said it would probably come in next week. By the time I got home, I got notice that my order was on backorder with the 4/21/17 date that shows up now online. Honestly? I don't care. I'll wait, as I don't "need" it. But I went through a similar "buy, then back-ordered" situation last year when I bought my EPI LP Trad Pro. It came far sooner than the projected date, and was well worth the wait.
    My first impressions from a very limited hand on? I really like the feel, and it appears to play very effortlessly. Didn't plug it in. It is much lighter than I expected. Not sure what to make of that. The natural finish was disappointing with the satin finish over it. It didn't look "aged" to me, it just looked frosty and if anything "cheap". So visually, it does not make a great impression on me. Maybe another color would be better, but hard to say. They can be buffed out, that's probably what I would do. But with the Gibson '57s, it still has the potential to make me quite happy. We'll see. Or not.

16. matchman

matchman Senior Member

The thin lacquer finish is leaps and bounds better that the thick sound killing polyurethane they typically use. It should be easy to sHine it up as the neck on mine is shining up with use.
    Was it described as aged? If so I do not see that either.
    I ordered early and received a untouched warehouse unit.

17. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

oh man.. those naturals for $439 are super tempting ! gotta hold off.

18. matchman

matchman Senior Member

Looks like the naturals are gone and so is the price.

19. kezian

kezian Senior Member

how do you like it? im thinking of getting one soon myself. in wine red

20. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

See my post #15. Someone at GC is working on a replacement for me, no further update. The wine red ones have been holding steady at $999.