Funniest guitar misconception you've heard?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by CowSauce, May 4, 2012.

1. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

Clean or otherwise, in my own house 1200 watts of SS stereo with more than 4 times the speaker surface area can't even be heard next to the bluesbreaker. That's 4 Denon POA 2400 power amplifiers bridged mono and ran to their own individual Klipsh Horn Speaker sensitivity rated at 103db at one meter, one watt. So , that's not the explanatiion, as the POA's don't clip at all unless fully dimed with an ugly input signal, and have dynamic reserves (in total) 4 times what they're continuous rating is.THD of .0000001 for the POA 2400 at rated output

2. exPFCWintergreen

exPFCWintergreen Banned

My electrics always sound like Stevie Ray, plugged or unplugged. I'm the only one who can hear them, however.

2 people like this.
  3. Robert Arthur

There are a lot of misconceptions regarding sound in general. How about these:
    Modern home theater is "better" than two channel stereo.
    Not true, home theatre's all in a box concept creates cross talk between elements in the system. as well, The channel switching leads to innacuracy as well as clipping for the individual channels as they switch.
    CD's are better than vinyl.
    That may have been true before the advent of DVd, but now CD's are sampled at the same rate as DVd's, therefore compressing them and killing dynamic range. MP3's are worse. Therefore, since the only limiting factor for vinyl is the gears ability to reproduce it, and the condition of the record, it now has more dynamic range than digital media.

2 people like this.
  4. exPFCWintergreen

exPFCWintergreen Banned

I dunno. I have a 50 watt Marshall that gets really, really loud. I have Phase Linear 700 that will knock birds out of the sky AND heat my house in January.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

I seem to remember an ad campaign from around about 15 years ago for Laney amps in which I think Paul gilbert is sitting next to a large stack with a dangerous looking strat' and the slogan in huge letters "British watts are louder". :naughty:

Nope I'm wrong, it wasn't an ad campaign it was a magazine article ... anyone remember it?

6. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

"Iz teh Les Pawl teh bes gitar" - That one comes up a lot.

7. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

No that's not it.

What you're talking about is the architecture of the amp being a limiter. Have the same limits as the tube amp, and an IC Chip with the same behaviour characteristics as the tubes, and you'll find that they will be the same. It's a matter of how the solid state amps were designed.

When a tube amp begins to distort, it's hitting it's clean threshold already. Measure that distorted threshold with a dB meter, and you'll get the same readings as an SS amp with the same design characteristics.

Oh yes. SS amps distort too when cranked. Marshalls kept on clean channels will break up when the gain is turned up. It's a matter of how the IC was designed at op-amp state. The ZT amps were also designed to be like this. Tiny box, 200w, bloody loud.

ZT Amplifiers - Products - Lunchbox

So what is ludicrous about that fallacy, is that it is a generalised statement about WATTS and not amp design.

1 person likes this.
  8. Robert Arthur

My Bluesbreaker is louder than my own JCM800 lead series HS, at 50 watts, but a little bit under a full stack with a 2203 head.

9. Robert Arthur

Most people think the two home systems I use (4,denon poa 2400's to 4 Klipsch horns, and the other being a Sansui 9090db running 2 Klipsch Cornwalls and 2 Klipsch LaScalas) is the loudest thing they ever heard in a home enviroment, untill I take the Bluesbreaker off standby with the volume at about 7 and start strumming violently...

10. ocredeus

ocredeus Senior Member

epi lp´s are trash (Here in this vid, at 11:37, they are comparing a lp gibson std, studio and an epi.... and... just see it for yourself... Ican´t believe it really...) I mean, gibson lp´s are better than epis. I´m sure of that. But I have 2 epi lp´s. Both gorgeous. And in this vid, epiphone just kicks gibson ass

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzM9dvV-VJU&feature=related]Gibson Standard Vs Studio Vs Epiphone - The Ultimate 2012 Les Paul Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

11. kboman

kboman Senior Member

This. A thousand times this!

12. Robert Arthur

sound/sound/

Noun:
    • Vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear.
    tone/tōn/

Noun:The overall quality of a musical or vocal sound: "the piano tone is lacking in warmth".

4 people like this.
  13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Yawn :)

Seriously, somehow "good tone" has become the exclusive property of bloos doodes who fart around with their bends and double stops at various low to mid gain settings and for me that's a huge turnoff. I just say sound and then describe the quality of that sound (if it's called for in the context) as I don't like the connotations of the other word. In my experience sound is also the traditional word and tone is the newcomer - but I'm not a native speaker so what do I know :)

Right, back to funny guitar stories!

14. Robert Arthur

Understanding tone is important so that one can identify "wolf tones' and other instrument quirks as well as personally knowing what is pleasing to an audience. If I think a cheap bolt on neck shredder played through a junk amp is going to please the ears of critical listeners, I might as well hang it up now. That is why tone is important to those that understand it, as well as knowing what particualr instruments have a history of delivering great tone. Such as many Gibsons...

1 person likes this.
  15. ocredeus

ocredeus Senior Member

"gibson is better than fender / fender is better than gibson"

16. Bigneil

Bigneil Senior Member

the more gear you list in your signature , the better the player you are.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

I'm living proof that's BS Neil, LOL.

2 people like this.
  18. Johntodd

Johntodd Junior Member

Holds true for me, anyway.

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  19. BCGadgets

BCGadgets Senior Member

The string feeder holes in the back of strats are actually the guitars exhaust. The pickup selector turns the guitar on. The whammy bar is supposed to move from side to side.

20. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Yngwie Malmsteen is the best guitarist.

1 person likes this.