Fulldrive 2 Mosfet

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by SHERIFF, Jul 21, 2017.

1. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Hi there, I've just ordered that pedal, what do you guys think obout it?. After watching some demos it sounds quite compressed to my ears wich I like, I also really dig the vintage mode, thank you for your opinions

2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I owned it at some point and really liked the MOSFET mode, for the (compressed & middy) tones this pedal is known to deliver.
    What I did not like was the boost, due to it's very limited use (cannot use indipendently and cannot switch order with the OD side).
    Eventually, I traded it for something else, since I found that it could not justify it's pedalboard space.

If I was giving it another try, I would go for v.3 which has corrected the above boost issues.

Have fun with it though and see for yourself how you like it. Congrats, btw!

SHERIFF likes this.
  3. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Hi, thank you, yes I know about the boost, we'll see, I've got other boost pedals as well to use indipendently so.... we'll see when it comes, I'll let you guys know what I think about it ;)

4. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I had one, but flipped it pretty quickly. I was looking for a main overdrive at the time, and it just didn't fit that bill at all. I'm thinking of picking another one up at some point to revisit it. It's a very respected pedal amongst people who know a lot more than I do.

5. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Thank u for your opinion

Stuff likes this.
  6. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I have one. Because I have a bunch of OD pedals used in rotation I really don't get to play it much. These are some off-the-top-off-the-head observations:

- The vintage/standard mode is very sweet, very much like a good TS. I have a TS9DX, TS808RI and a TS808DX. The vintage vintage/standard is most similar to the 808DX which happens to be the smoothest, sweetest TS I have (not by much but noticeable). It is the classic TS mid-hump sound, if not a variation off.

- Flat Mids mode, love it. This is where the pedal starts to differ from the classic TS sound. More open and transparent. I tend to use this mode the most with both MOSFET and Standard settings. It's great with the gain turned down because it tends to give a Soul Food sort of transparency, and sounds better at high OD settings, not as thin.

- CompCut Mode. This is hard to explain but adds a sweet, sparkly boost to the tone. At lower gain settings it's a tone enhancer that works when always left on.

- MOSFET. What can I say? I love MOSFET distortion. Adds a nice edge and clarity, and a nice growl when the strings are hit hard.

- Boost. The biggest complaint about this pedal is the inflexibility of the boost because it cant be used after the OD circuits or independently. It doesn't bother me because it is what it is (I have a Flying Dragon boost and the TS808DX has a boost that can be used before, after and independently so I have all boost needs covered anyway). It simply increases the gain of whatever settings are selected. The overall sound is very dependent on what gain and switch positions are selected. Regardless of the perceived lack of versatility with the boost it can add a bunch of tonal options if used judiciously in conjunction with the other controls.

In summary it's a very versatile OD pedal. To get the most of it I found the key is to take time and experiment. Is it better than the million other OD pedals out there? Yes and no depending on personal preference but it's certainly a fun, toneful pedal.

SHERIFF likes this.
  7. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Wow, great review man, thank you. That's what I hear all the time about the pedal, that is very versatile. I've also got a TS-9 and a Blues Driver but I expect to get something different from the Fulldrive 2, anyway, I will still use the others, I love overdrive pedals, I think I'll end up becoming a collector :)

8. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

I think if you like a compressed sound (especially with humbuckers) you'll like this pedal. For me it just sounded very muffled, and hard to get a good tone out of. The Fulldrive 3 may be worse. I think with single coils it may work better. I know a lot of people love it, not my cup of tea. I do like Fulltone pedals though!

SHERIFF likes this.
  9. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Thank u for your opiniĆ³n. And yes, that compressed sound is one of the things I really like about the pedal, at least from the videos that I've seen

10. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

Compressed is there if you desire, open and transparent is there if you desire. It's all about tweaking and experimenting. The FD2 covers a lot of ground and can probably replace a lot of pedals in my collection.

Muffled? haven't experienced that with my FD2 but I guess I haven't gone searching for it.

SHERIFF likes this.
  11. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Which is the best setting or mode for the compressed overdriven sound that I like from the videos I've seen?

12. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I haven't watched any videos but IMO Vintage/standard would be the best for compression. Saying that, adding boost to any switch set-up adds a degree of compression depending on how much boost and drive are added. It's all very variable.

SHERIFF likes this.
  13. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Thank you, yes that's true, I've noticed in the videos that when switching boost on, it gets more compressed, but I can't really tell just from videos, what modes sound with more compression, I'll try vintage/standard with the boost when I get the pedal.

14. Rocknme

Rocknme Member

I have the FD3, which I really like, but which I generally use with my single coil guitars and not my Les Paul. The boost function is awesome (better than any dedicated boost pedal that I ever used). The overdrive modes have a midrange emphasis that is similar to a TS but with more lower mids and more bass. Flipping from 90s mode to wide-ass mode changes the tone coloration, but it's a subtle (not drastic) change. Even comp-cut (which is more raw sounding than the other two OD modes) has the same basic tonal balance. You really need to like that basic sound to like this pedal. I personally prefer this sound to the TS most of the time (but not all of the time).

Bottom line is that anyone looking for the FD2 should probably at least try the FD3 because of the independent boost.

SHERIFF likes this.
  15. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

I agree on the boost of the FD3, it's amazing. I bought the 2B boost and it just adds something to my entire signal chain.

SHERIFF likes this.
  16. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

I have two FullDrive2's, a standard one & a MOSFET one (the MOSFET being repaired at the moment as it started working intermittently...) and I love them both.
    What I've found is that FullDrive's can get compressed (in Vintage mode) can get very compressed (Vintage + Boost) and even extremely compressed (Vintage + Boost + MOSFET) or they can very transparent (CompCut) or even the most transparent boost you've ever heard (CompCut + Boost with volume on the guitar way down; and they can also literally be every delicious thing in between.
    I own a lot of OD & Distortion pedals, and truth be told neither of my FullDrive's are presently on any of my pedalboards, but those pedals are by far the most versatile OD's I've ever come across: they definitely have their own thing going, and it's a great thing, and at least once a week I quickly grab one when on my way to a practice or a session.
    Mr. Fuller, also an extremely tasty & toneFull(!) guitar player himself, is really unto something (kudos to you Mike) and, hand on heart, his stuff is truly awesome actually...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    SHERIFF likes this.
  17. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Wow, thank you for letting me know about the different settings and what they do, I can't wait to have it and try all the different combinations now :D

Les Paulverizer likes this.
  18. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Well, the beast is here:

[​IMG]

So far so good, I've only been playing with it for the last 30 minutes but it's a different pedal, that's for sure, it is not a Ts-9 in my opiniĆ³n because I've got one and the FD2 can sound very much different depending on the settings or modes that you use. At the moment, I really dig the vintage mode + Mosfet + boost, booooommmm!!! :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  19. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

Awesome. Because of this thread I've being playing mine a fair bit. For the first time I've plugged it into an 18v supply. Makes a big difference with CompCut, more head room and openness. It does make a difference with other settings too, but more subtle. I need to play more and A/B with 9v to really get in my head around what the differences are.

I've read somewhere that the standard clipping is asymmetrical, the same as the Boss SD-1, and not symmetrical like the TS9/TS808. This may explain why the vintage/standard sounds different to TS9/TS808 pedals.

SHERIFF likes this.
  20. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

I've also got the Boss sd-1 and the FD2 sounds very similar on the vintage mode + standard instead of mosfet, imo, but on other modes like compcut or FM, it sounds totally different to all my other overdrive pedals including the sd-1 and the ts-9, I think the FD2 is a great overdrive pedal and the most versatile of all the ones I've got.