Fryette Power Station

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by El Kabong, Sep 25, 2015.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Yeah... that works! Did your Bassman come with Jensens? How do those compare with the Greenbacks?

2. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

I have both the old Jensens P10R

3. Rick Maxwell

Rick Maxwell Senior Member

Thanks fit the info!!!

4. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Just took a look at the site and it looks like they are sold out. Anyone know how long its been?

5. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

Wow, I'm so happy I got mine. I cannot play very much but when I have a few minutes that allows me to play I really enjoy it. When this happens you will see people selling them for 800.00 on ebay, or auction bidding wars.

6. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Well, i used to own a Alex and it was fantastic so no biggy, I ll just go that direction if they are out for to long. :thumb:

7. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

I never could gel with the FT.

Had a 'wet blanket' feel/sound to it, to me.

On the PS's, are you guys bringing down yer speakers to match the drop in volume, at all? like if normally a 4 12, using 2 12, 25 or 35 watters?

Matty, I bet if you only used 2 of those black backs when attenuating 1/2 down or more, would be perfect!

8. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I ain't... my favorite speaker with the PS right now is the one in my King Snake... and since it has 10/60/100 watt options the speaker is pretty much good to go at any volume. The PS sounds equally as well through the greenbacks, creamback and alnico blue I run it through... but for now the KS has been getting the bulk of the play time. :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  9. Matty

Matty Senior Member

If I can't get a 4x12 quiet enough I'll just plug into my THR. Or use headphones.

1 person likes this.
  10. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

:hmm: What is a THR?

My point/question about using 1/2 the amount of speakers has more to do with preserving feel and the speakers breaking up the same way they would with the amp at its 'sweet spot if you aren't attenuating.

Dimed Marshall with a 4-12 (blackbacks) would = Dimed Marshall with the volume, attenuated down 1/2 way using 2-12 blackbacks. :hmm:

If we cut the volume down by 1/2 w the attenuator, it only makes since to match the inefficiency of half the speakers to get the same thing as a end result, right? (not a perfect match or exactly 1/2 but generally speaking with the sweet spot of course varying in location)

This always seems to be left out, of all the attenuator discussions, for some reason- and I just thought I would get yalls input on it.

When I had the fluxtone it operated from a similar principle (dropping the magnet strength) but im not talking about dropping volume as much as matching up the 'already lower attenuated volume' with the less efficient speakers or less speakers to wind up w the exact same things (as close as possible) to the overall un attenuated experience, from the same rig at lower volumes. I would think it would be almost exact, minus some headroom.

To clarify a little, i am speaking more in the context of 'stage volume' live, not necessarily bedroom levels.

11. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  12. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

13. Matty

Matty Senior Member

I don't find a hell of a lot of difference between a 1x12 and a 4x12 at low volumes. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  14. joesatch

joesatch Senior Member

i keep seeing these online and i'm confused as to what it is.Is it an amplifier or a load box or an attenuater or a cab simulator. is it stereo? is it a poweramp? WTH is it?

15. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

amplifier... yes
    load box... yes
    attenuator... yes
    cab simulator... no
    stereo... two speakers out capability, so I guess that would be a yes
    poweramp... yes

So basically its a power amp and attenuator in one. It also has an effects loop and the ability to select input impedance and output impedance for mixing and matching your current cabs. It also has some unique EQ abilities... :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  16. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

I'm 99.9% sure this is a no too but that's not a bad thing. You could use this as one half of a stereo rig buy using it with an amp that has an efx loop with a stereo reverb or delay in it and run one side into the return of that amp and the other into the return of this.

You guys are giving me G.A.S. :D I've got so many vintage amps that would benefit with one of these.

17. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

18. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

They've been out of stock for quite a while now... I wonder what's up with that... :hmm:

19. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

I'm going to sell mine in the next couple of weeks for anyone interested

1 person likes this.
  20. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I've heard there is an updated version slated for release which addresses the issue of the volume knob being too sensitive when attenuating higher wattage amps... that was a big problem and I'm glad they addressed it.