Fryette Power Station

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by El Kabong, Sep 25, 2015.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

This one seems to be gaining quite a foothold in the market and, as was suggested, is quite deserving of its own thread...

I picked one up this week and am still getting it dialed in through the first amp of MANY to run it through and I am totally impressed and kicking myself for not picking one up MUCH earlier.

Anyone else rockin' one of these bad boys? :naughty:

[​IMG]

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

hahahaha. No wasted time...

Here's what it looks like with the optional rack mount kit.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  3. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

I plan to order one next week or next month.

The price is excellent and it seems that the PS is way over the Aracom or any attenuator on the market right now.

The best demo of the unit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGXRDfCF30

1 person likes this.
  4. Matty

Matty Senior Member

A quality piece of kit for sure, every tube amp owner should have one. :thumb:

4 people like this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

How is this any different from the BadCat Unleash?

6. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Anybody besides me see the irony in an attenuator made by a company pronounced FRY-it?:laugh2::laugh2:

All kidding aside, everyone whose opinion I trust tell me this is the best sounding and most versatile attenuator they have ever used. I plan on picking one up shortly.

Franky, we need a demo or bring it over to my place and we will hook up up to my old Marshall.:dude:

3 people like this.
  7. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2:
    So good.. I want one!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. frankv

It's all tube power... i think that's most likely pretty major..

1 person likes this.
  9. frankv

I'll have to bring it over...

10. Matty

Matty Senior Member

All tube as Frank said and also you can mismatch impedances with the power station and drive two speaker cabinets. :thumb:

4 people like this.
  11. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

Got one. It's excellent. Works much better than the EPA on my YJM. Still need to try it out with my '83 Marshall 4104.

2 people like this.
  12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I posted this in the other thread, but it is a really solid review that explains the functionality extremely well and warrants the reprint...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGXRDfCF30[/ame]

4 people like this.
  13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Both of them look freaking neat. What's the output on this one? Also, one of the selling points on the Unleash is how clean it re-amplifies the guitar amp. Any coloration of the tone with the tube re-amp?

1 person likes this.
  14. frankv

I have had every major attenuator there is. I have not experienced performance like this in low volume attenuation like this Fryette. Even the FX loop is tubed.

I hate saying this because I don't want to come off as a spokesman for Fryette...but my search for THE attenuator is over.

The thought of running my newly purchased Marshall JTM1 through it is very exciting.

6 people like this.
  15. d2_racing

d2_racing Premium Member

Hey Frank, I will be able to gig with all my 1 watters :p

And owning a 50w or a 100w it's not a big deal anymore.

Marshall JTM45,1987x, 1959 and so on, here I come :p

And one good thing about the attenuator is that even with a 100w head, you can run it at 10 with a little 1x12 a decent volume(bedroom volume) without been afraid of frying your speaker.

1 person likes this.
  16. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I've been waiting for a chance to pick up a JTM-1 for ages... and with the PS I'm betting it will give the BB a nice awakening. I'm sure you're gonna thoroughly enjoy that rig!! :thumb:

I did have a chance to run my JCM-1 and DSL-1 through the PS and they really are like whole new amps. Adding an FX Loop to the JCM-1 really makes it shine and I think the FX loop in the PS sounds better than the one in the DSL. The PS really does retain complete transparency as it brings them up to 50 Watts. Which is way cool!!!

The flip side of the transparency coin is true as well... I always thought that using these little guys in .1 Watt mode lost a lot of what they have to offer... and cranking them on 1 Watts is where they need to be, but is still too loud around here (most of the time). So being able to crank them and then attenuate them retaining the transparency make them usable in pretty much any situation... attenuating up or down... and the extra glass doesn't hurt none either! :dude:

3 people like this.
  17. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

The mismatching of impedances is worth quite a bit on its own... so even if you're not attenuating up OR down with the PS, the ability to safely (mis)match any head with any cab is sheer awesomeness. For ages I've wanted a simple solution to this, and its just a fringe benefit of this unit. :applause:

I find myself sounding like a salesman as well here... but I really don't think it can be helped. It is a new and novel approach to an age old dilemma that simply rocks and I really haven't been so over-the-top satisfied with a new piece of gear in ages. When Matty got his I was like, yeah, that's cool... but I guess I really just didn't get the big picture. And he is just way too mellow to smack me on the ear and say "look again, dude". Having it here really changes things... I can basically just use any amp at any time, day or night, with any cab... period.

And add an FX Loop to it if I want to.

Or take a SS amp (like the Ethos OD) and add some glass where it counts most.

Or gig direct with a Hotone Nano Legacy, Roland GR-55S, Yamaha THR10C or DAW if I want to.

Not to purposely confuse y'all with mixed metaphors, but its like taking every piece of amplification gear I own and re-purposing them to be color co-ordinated... which is nice! :naughty:

2 people like this.
  18. frankv

Ya know, a common mod for amps with no FX loop is to put one in. That's usually a $300 mod plus $120 round trip shipping to voodoo amps. So that's $420 and usually a decrease in the amps value because of the mod... Even if you use the Power Station just for the tube buffered loop it's a steal.

2 people like this.
  19. frankv

Thats not the whole story... Remember the line input now allowing various Preamps to be used with a Steven Fryette power amp... My Engl jacked into the PS makes me almost not need my 2 90 2 Fryette.

2 people like this.
  20. frankv

2 people like this.