Friedman PT-20 at gig volume?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Tobin1634, Nov 14, 2017.

1. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

My understanding is that the Runt 20 IS the BE dirty channel with a Voxy clean channel (on the 50 they call it a blackface sounding clean). I would imagine the clean circuit is the same, it the difference in tone comes from EL84 power tubes and lower wattage.

It would be cool if Friedman eventually came out with a true low wattage BE 100, but the price would probably still be in the $3000 range.

2. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Yeah I don't know what's going on, but it may be that the 20 watters need to be cranked to get the kind of overdrive tone I want, what I hear on you tube demos and what I hear in a store at low volume are just so vastly different..

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Have you heerd the Sweetwater demo? To my ears, that is exactly how the PT20 sounds; that's why i got it.

4. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

For the record, the Runt 50 IS a lot louder than the Runt 20 (and I imagine the PT 20), BUT the magic is in the master volume. The Runt 50 genuinely sounds good at low volumes. I remember distinctly - one time my wife and kids came in the room and sat down. I had to turn it down really low to protect the kids ears, but I kept playing. And I kept playing. And ten minutes later, it hit me: I'm really picky about tone, and the amp sounded good enough at conversational volume that I didn't want to stop. With most other amps, this wouldn't work for me - they just sound deflated and empty.

Of course, I still prefer the sound of the Runt 50 at higher volumes. And it gets loud around 9 o'clock on the volume control, but that's also where it really opens up and just gets better. The Runt 20 could be turned up higher to reach the same volumes, but it just didn't sound as good to my ears.

5. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

this is what is so amazing about the BE-100 to me, I've played at pretty low volumes that are appropriate for guitar center (maybe I had the think at 1 at one point, but most of the time below 1) and the tone just blew me away, NOT getting that with the PT20.

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

If you're underwhelmed by PT-20, don't buy it...

You really can't compare that to an amp with a bigger iron that that push more air...

7. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Yeah sorry to keep bashing it, its actually a great amp, just not what I was expecting which I realize now was totally unrealistic in the first place!

8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

You're not bashing it. It's just the PT-20 didn't meet your expectations...at least you had a chance to play through it before shelling out cash....

9. cherrysunburst00

Tone and personal needs are so totally subjective. I didn't see it as bashing either, and i love the amp.

Good luck in your quest.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  10. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Ok guys, I was hesitent to post this cause my playing ain't great, but speaking of my "quest" I decided to pick up the Friedman BE-OD pedal to see if this would satisfy by BE-100 itch and I think it might! It sounds awesome through my DSL! I think better than the gain channel on the DSL, but I did a quick comparison video, let me know what you think:

11. cherrysunburst00

NICE. I REALLY liked both! I sure do hope that the BE pedal works for ya, Brother.

12. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks man!

13. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

I took the Runt20 over the PT20 because of the clean channel which is amazing sounding, best cleans to have !
    And the RT20 did have a more open sounding lesser compressed gain channel.
    Best wd be to have both ! ... and a 2x12 of course mine is a modded Marshall with 2 Eminence RedFang Alnico open back... 3 D sounding

14. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Ok so I played the Runt 20 in the store last week, I like it a lot more than the PT20, but still didn't have the juice that I've been getting out of the BE-OD pedal. It's a great amp though and I still might pick one up!

bluefrog likes this.
  15. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

I had the BE-OD also, but I returned it and kept my Xotic SL Drive.
    Why? the mids were lacking in the BE OD for me - it was to "modern/metal" , so not the mids I liked were to get.
    The SL Drive has it in spades with no affords ... just naturally.

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

I was looking at the BE-OD the other day, and someone else was testing it, I agree. it doesn't have the mids I was looking for...

The Buxom Boost looks enticing..