FRFR question

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Nick-O, May 17, 2017.

1. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

I searched back and have not found a match, so I hope this has not been addressed. The Yamaha DBR 10 and DRB 12, any experience with these? The price seems reasonable but I do not want to do this twice if I don't have to. Not sure if a single 10" would have the range for this, so I leave it open to both models. There is a DBR 15, but I figured I was already pressing my luck searching for an answer. The amp guy in me loves 15's is all.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well Nick. I am going to stick with what I know best.... even if it does not directly answer your questions.

Stick with Xitone or Atomic CLR's

Falconbill and Nick-O like this.
  3. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

Impressive!

Man, I'd love a modeler and one of these but ...ouch$$$$

I ain't worthy :laugh2:

Nick-O likes this.
  4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

If you want to get a Yamaha, get the DXR10. That is the most suitable for guitar modelers. Google "Yamaha DBR vs DXR" lots of threads on this comparison.

5. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

@Nick-O, for electric guitar the DXR10s are great. Instead of the DXR12, I opted for two DXR10s to use with my Helix. The result is a much fuller and wider sound field, more air moving, etc., of course, at a higher price. Nonetheless, he result is outstanding, and I can run Stereo or W/D/W with my Amp if desired. The DBR10 are less costly and sound nearly identical to the DXR10. Even if you opt for the slightly larger and heavier DBR12 or DXR12, you should be very satisfied. And, Yamaha's 7 year warranty is second to none! Often you can find these Yamaha DXR and DBR on sale, or a GC coupon will apply. I got mine for a great price that way from GC.

Nick-O and Shai`tan like this.
  6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Nick, can`t say anything about the Yamahas as FRFR for guitar but they are really good PS speakers at a descent price.
    But to answer the size question, I tested both the StageSources with 10" and 12" and can say that a single 10" will cover the range.
    Also I found out that Line 6 use the 10" StageSource a their reference speaker when setting up the factory defaults so it can`t be that bad :cool:

Also not sure if you gig, but there is normally a substancial size and weight difference in the 10" and 12" which is another reason I went for the 10" as I was fed up carrying around heavy gear.

MusicLaw and Nick-O like this.
  7. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

Hey, top shelf replies all of them. Many thanks. I will have a look at these DXR's, as I was only aware of the DBR's. Nothing like first hand experience. :thumb:

8. ttbit

ttbit Senior Member

There is at least one person on here that has one 10" and one 12". :) Not Yamaha, but I am talking FRFR speakers.

9. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

The DXRs are very well thought of as an FRFR solution for modeling. I never tried one but people really like them.