Fret end "Nub" on 58´s

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by andersozzy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. andersozzy

andersozzy Member

Did the 58 - 59´s les paul have the fret end "covered" with the neckbinding, like the modern days les paul have? Or have they been sanded down when the frets have been replaced?

Anders

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Vintage Les Pauls came new ex the factory with Fret End Nibs.

Refretted Vintage Les Pauls generally did not have the Nibs replaced, hence the frets went to the end of the binding.

:cheers:

3. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

All vintage Gibson guitars (with bound necks) had/have FEB.

There are a couple of reasons that you don't see many with it today - Either they've been re-fretted, or the original frets have been milled/dressed to the point that the binding has basically been "erased".

4. delawaregold

delawaregold _______Artie_______ Super Mod

An untouched early 1959 Les Paul.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  5. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Premium Member

Does anybody know of a really good repair guy who is willing to refret vintage Gibsons while keeping the "nubs"? I'm a big believer in refretting my vintage guitars whenever they need it (I just find it often makes them sound and play a lot better), and I've never worried about keeping the "nubs" before, but I am curious if anyone offers this option.

6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

My Luthier can easily do this; i.e. he rebuilds the Nibs at the Fret end using the same plastic, albeit molten............once set & reshaped it looks like new. It is a pain in the ass to do but he has done it.

Which country do you live in?

There are a number of Luthiers here that can probably help preserve the vibe of your Vintage Gibsons.

I'll send you a PM. :)

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  7. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

To be truthful it's better to have the re-fret all the way to the end. I am as Vintage correct as they get, but play-ability is first. It won't improve the selling price.

8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 1 MF, I would certainly have mine re-fretted in this way. :thumb:

As a matter of fact, if I had my time again I would have done this for my Avatar.

6077dino likes this.
  9. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

+1 for MF. I'll have my vintage ES-335 refretted soon and want to have it as playable as possible. I think that will then be fret over binding, right?

BTW, i just found out, that my guitar and me are born just one day apart. Guitar first, me the next day. A dream!

6077dino likes this.
  10. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

It has to be far out as possible without the uncomfortable hump and bump. A really good refret guy can do this. What will help, make sure the person doing the work has guitars at the shop that were recently refretted to see if you like his work. Very few guys can do a great job on them, so choose carefully. It's also better to pay more for a guy that's the best than a budget Luthier. Pay once.:):thumb:

1 person likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

That is 150% correct MF. Pay once. :thumb: The joy of a low ball price soon dies away when your guitar plays like $hit!

1 person likes this.
  12. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

To be fair, on a guitar well played enough to need a refret, you'd be lucky to see much plastic on the fret ends. I'd live without it.

Find the best you possibly can, and use no-one else. If it costs you a bit more, 2 years down the line you'll not miss the money, but you'll be glad of the quality of work.

Liam

2 people like this.
  13. DonP

DonP Senior Member

For me, I take my vintage axes to Dan Erlewine. It's about a 3 hour scenic drive across the state.

I have a very well played 77 Custom and a 56 LP that I'm debating. The frets are original but still playable. But not as playable as my 63 SG Special where I went with 6100 and 6105 jumbos. This was back in 1990 somewhere in So Cal. before I was smart to "vintage". This guitar lost it's neck heal connection and I took it to Dan. He did a great job putting it back together, and did a fret level and a new bone nut.

14. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

I ended up having to do that with my '69 and had the refret done over the binding.
    It really bugged me at first but the guitar plays so much better I don't think about it anymore and besides the guitar is 43 years old anyways and wasn't exactly 100 % original when I bought it..

1 person likes this.
  15. floyd84

floyd84 V.I.P. Member

It can be done if you really want to. My friend had this 68 Les Paul refretted by Tim Shaw, after he left Gibson. He told me the binding was removed and replaced after the new frets were installed. I'm not sure if he used the original binding or the exact same material, but I think it came out looking great. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I had my 52 Les Paul done by Greg at BCR, the refret was done over the binding. I prefer it this way. It plays great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. delawaregold

delawaregold _______Artie_______ Super Mod

Who?

Never heard of him.

:D

17. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Premium Member

Thanks Guys! Lots of experience and knowledge on this board.

I appreciate it
    :)

18. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I wish that did it this way, today. IMHO, the way it has been done (binding all the way up to the top/crown of the frets) for the past 30+ years, is overkill.

Seeing things like this really gives you a sense of how much time they put into each guitar. Today, it's "slap on the binding, then route/file between the frets, done".

I've seen my fair share of completely untouched (by repair guys) '50s LPs, and the amount of consistency in th fret-work is outstanding. Makes current guitars look sloppy as hell (most of them are).

1 person likes this.
  19. dwoods2769

dwoods2769 Member

20170714_234800.jpg
    20170714_234800.jpg

20. dwoods2769

dwoods2769 Member

My baby has frets over binding. Those nibs are just plain stupid. The high E always getting pinched. It was a silly design for adornment. It makes absolutely no sense to not be able to use the whole fret. My girl is a Yamano LIMITED edition that is somewhat rare to have not left the states. I'm in love. She plays like a dream. It's a AA flame top but this image doesn't do justice. I'll post another.