Fret Doctor - Before and After Pictures

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Alex, Mar 12, 2008.

1. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Musical instruments are not furniture.
    35+ yrs of oiling the FB of the same guitar have yielded no ill effects.
    Started using FD on it about 6-7 yrs ago.

I like it and the maker makes a lot of sense.

2. lovecacti

lovecacti Junior Member

Awesome! I love it when people provide before/after pics.

3. backfromcali.

backfromcali. Senior Member

Where can I get it in Germany?

4. pop

pop Member

It seems like you can't get it in Germany at all. I just ordered mine direclty in the states. They also sell it in the UK but it's way cheaper in the US (even considering shipping costs).

1 person likes this.
  5. peterp

peterp Senior Member

I found Fret Doctor to be the best among the oils I've tried. Lately I've been conditioning with Fret Doctor and then topping it with Howard's Feed and Wax. The Howard's is a combination of orange oil and carnuba wax. You apply the Howards by rubbing it into the FB and let it dry for at least 15 minutes (I usually leave it overnight) and then buff it off. It gives the fretboard a nice smooth finish that feels great, especially for bends. I bought the Howards on Amazon, but I think they also have it at Home Depot.

6. LikesFirebirds

LikesFirebirds Banned

I used an Artgum eraser on my Epi DOT when I bought it last week. It was filthy. Frets oxidized, fingerboard grungy.

Took the eraser to the frets and fingerboard and then used some F-one oil on it. Didn't know you could use steel wool.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up very nicely.

[​IMG]

7. EvolutionSurf

EvolutionSurf Junior Member

Hello everybody! First post but been reading the forums for a little while now.
    Just got a vial of Fret Doctor in the mail today for my first fretboard treatment ever. Just a couple before and after pictures to show how well this product worked.

I cleaned the fretboard with a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water. Then I barely put a single drop of this stuff on a brand new cotton sock and worked it smoothly into the wood, and when I say barely a drop, I mean the tiniest drop I could get out of the bottle. The one drop was enough for the whole fretboard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Bomber72

Bomber72 Junior Member

Hey! Another first here (I think).

First of all I would like to thank Kim and Edselman for some really interesting comments. I, like many, have used oils for my fretboards for years without ever reflecting about whether It's actually a good thing in the long run or not. Your comments do make sense though, and now I'd like to give wax a shot. Can i just go ahead and try it, or should something be done (if possible) about any oil left in the fretboards?

Also, living in the north, humidity does get really (really) low during winters, and fretboards do tend to dry out quite visibly. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

9. 50WPLEXI

50WPLEXI Senior Member

Been using Fret Doctor since day one thanks to my friend. I love the stuff, keeps my board in tip top shape.

10. Bomber72

Bomber72 Junior Member

Woah, Just realized I've bumped an old thread. Such a classic mistake. Sorry about that. Feel free to respond though. :cool: