Freddy's Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I think a totally bad-ass Saturday would be to sit on the couch for 8 hours and binge-watch Freddy and his dad building a Les Paul :)

I might force myself to not watch any more of these until the build is 100% complete and do exactly that :)

My wife might hang herself, but then again she likes to binge watch tiny houses on HGTV
    which is like the same exact show over and over, so she wont have a leg to stand on ;)

2. Koolaide

Koolaide Member

Thanks Freddy, really clean NICE work as always. I really like the box jig. simple, accurate and gets the job done fast. Just what a jig should do.

Thanks again for sharing.

Jim

3. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Let's be careful and not go any further with this :lol:. We love you, but none of
    us want the "sittin' around in the underwear" image seared into our brains.

Freddy......kudos! You sir, are a true gem of a gentleman.

4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Hey I didn't invite anyone to imagine me in my underwear.

Thats entirely on you, pal, and frankly it makes me feel grateful that you live 1000 miles away :laugh2: ;)

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

^^^^hahahaha....youz guyz! :laugh2:

6. Koolaide

Koolaide Member

Where is that damn like button.

7. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Thank goodness you did reply with "don't wear them..."

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

You're not helping matters with that kind of comment :cool:

9. archey

archey Senior Member

You make it look so easy. Plenty of great pointers. Thanks!

10. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Great video Freddy. My dad has stories just like your dad! ;-) Great tip about the dado blade. I tried a wobble blade and it worked OK once I got it set to exactly 3/16". I pushed my dado set out of the way to get at the wobble blade. Not even thinking to check the kerf on that centre dado.

Cheers Peter.

PS - what'd you do to your finger?

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I never heard that story about the blacksmith before! Different times for sure eh?

I almost cut my fingertip off making a sandwich on Saturday, the blade went about two thirds through. I had to make a quick decision. Drive into the next town and get stitches (and probably waste a whole day) or do it myself. I figured it was much better to do it myself right then, the cut was really clean (I keep my kitchen knives razor sharp) so I just put the fingertip back together, disinfected it and glued it with CA. It's healing beautifully, doesn't even hurt in the least bit....I bet stiches would have been a lot more invasive and probably taken a lot longer to heal. But I got the finger guard because I knocked my finger later that day....it split a little at the glue joint and hurt like hell for a while. The finger guard since then has kept it nice and safe.

12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

CA is an awesome first aid tool. I got a bad cut on my leg while camping once and was miles on foot out of the woods. An ER would have given it at least 8 stitches. I cleaned it and disinfected it and gluedmit with CA.

It healed perfectly and has a less noticeable scar than some cuts that weren't as bad and got stitched by a pro :)

13. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've opted for CA and accelerator over stitches several times. Not like cutting a fingertip off bad, but certainly 3-5 stitch bad. Costs less, heals cleaner, back to work faster. It's also covered by my self-employment insurance. Closing wounds is what the stuff was made for, after all.

"I'm not a doctor but I play one in my garage."

Thanks for the explanation about the planing, Freddy. Looking forward to watching the next vid when I get a chance to sit down with a beer later.

14. redking

redking Senior Member

Awesome video and great ingenuity! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience Freddy!

15. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Awesome stuff Freddy! Please refrain from building ham sandwiches until these guitars are done :D

16. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

That's hilarious Freddy. That's something my dad would do as well. We were putting down interlocking stones one time and he smashed his thumb with a dead blow hammer. He hit it so hard there was what looked like a red ink blot test on the stone. He got a regular sized bandaid and scotch tape and was good to go.

Sounds like CA should be in my first aid kit. This forum isn't just about building guitars. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

17. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

Pictures are great but these videos are invaluable learning tools. Oh, and I see you have your left hand set up for slide playing at a moments notice. Smart thinking!

18. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

The timing here is some times amazing.

I was cleaning out a little extra headstock overlay on the latest project with my exacto yesterday. Slipped and watched it go into my index finger past the ground edge. After the little trip into the band saw blade last year (yeah, it was stupid) I have a better appreciation for the number of nerve endings in the finger tips. And the fact that no amount of Procane will make it hurt any less when stitches go in. So I was really dreading going to the ER.

Yep, they used Superglue to close it. The RN told me that if it opened up, just put a little of the thick stuff on it to close it back up.

Of course, guess what was sitting about a foot from the scene of the crime?

Attached Files:

19. w666

w666 Senior Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your vast store of knowledge!! Lots of great ideas in the video.

Q: I wax my truss rods before gluing so they don't get glued in place. Looks like you don't. Have you ever had a problem?

Q: Ar those Bartlett plans?

20. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Never a problem. Not for a compression rod that doesn't move. I want it to be frozen and locked in....a part of the neck rather than a part in the neck.

Yes.