Freddy's Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Haha....we call it the "sun room". It really only gets used in the nicer weather. It's not heated or cooled. So yeah, it's cold in there when it's cold outside.
    I like filming in there because of all the natural light.

2. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

When I was 24(in '74) I had to have a gangling cyst removed from my left wrist. The next day I was waiting for a trolley car in Toronto and it was minus 35 with the windchill(F) in February. Even bundled up my wrist hurt so bad and I was so cold that I vowed to move south. I had dual citizenship and within a couple of months I was on Huntington beach chillin'. I now live in South Carolina with my wife of 15years(she was from Ohio) and we went up to be with my father when he had his triple by-pass 5 years ago. Of course it was February and probably 20 below. We both realize why were both down here. BRRRRRRR

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey lowatter....still waiting for you to drop by for a visit!

But yeah, that snow on the ground in my part 3 video was mild....might have been just below freezing. That's still a "should I wear long or short sleeves" decision for us Canadian boys.

4. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

Thanks for part 3, Freddy!

5. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

My Dad sent me a Polaroid picture of the blizzard in 1978 when I was in basic training for the US Air Force(San Antonio Texas) and he was in Hamilton. He is 84 now and was a younger man of 43 years. He shoveled his sidewalk and path to his front porch and the snow was above his shoulders! The lake effect can be incredible.

I hope to make it up to see my Dad in the spring or summer and I vow to take some time to come and meet/visit/jam with you. I play all original rhthym lines and I would love to have you add some impromptu lead lines. I'll keep you in mind and thanks again for the welcome! Maybe we can get PShupe et al to meet up and have some fun. I play some drums and bass too. I'm going to make a real effort and I miss my relatives up there.

6. rockgod212

rockgod212 Senior Member

thanx for making this available. this has helped so much. keep it going

7. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Count me in. Sounds like fun!

Cheers Peter.

8. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Senior Member

Subscribed.

9. rusdfh

rusdfh Senior Member

It's the little things I learn on this forum. My glue lines have always been fine, never considered that something could make them better until I ran a scraper across one as shown in the demo. Thank you. Do you have a preferred urea formaldehyde glue? I have been trying UNI BOND 800 on some laminated top and back plates (I have always wanted a full scale ES140 with a center block). It is ok but I would like to try something else.

10. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Freddy, thanks for being such a huge asset and sharing your knowledge with this and other
    forums. Your contributions do not go without appreciation, for sure.

Having said all of that........get earmuffs! Otherwise I'll be flying to Canada and fitting you
    with hearing aids.

Seriously though, thanks a ton man. You're an absolute gem!

11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

I wanna know who the H-E-double hockey sticks called when you were finishing up the burnishing on your scraper! :mad: I religiously follow all steps up to that point, but still find it a challenge getting a good edge/burr. :mad2: I was really looking forward to seeing your final steps and checking for your optimum burr! :confused: Oh well, I'll just keep practicing and building my Popeye arms.

Working with your Dad must be so cool! I lost mine in 78, at my age 23, he was 62. :( Miss him everyday! :sadwave:

Thanks for the great vids!

Cherish The Moments!
    Gene

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hey Gene,

I really did just get to the point where the scraper was ready as the phone rang.

The burnishing is the easy part. The two most important things are:

1- Prepping the blade by creating a square edge that is finely abraded with a fine stone. You can create a square edge like I did at the start by just filing, but then when you go to create a burr and then turn it, it will be ragged from the file tooth marks. It will still work, but it will leave a rougher surface and the burr will break down faster.

2- When refining that square edge with the stone it is critical to sharpen the edge and then the side until the intersection is square...meaning no burr.

13. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

:fingersx:Hoping for another vid soon:fingersx:

14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Seconded!

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Coming soon....will be on necks.

16. archey

archey Senior Member

Can't wait! I can't seem to build a LP neck to save my life! I have problems with gaps where the neck meets the body.

17. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Freddy, great info, as in all your posts! Thank you. I spent some time inside this afternoon watching all the vids while the weather was bad here.

I'm curious, when you were hand-plaining the halves of the top after running them on the jointer, it looked like you had the two halves separated and no longer indexed, as they were on the jointer. Why is that?

Thank you again for your regular quality contributions!

18. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Cooljuk,

They were indexed when I was cutting on the power jointer so that I would keep the bookmatch pattern accurate. When I got to handplaning the plane was set so fine, and I took off so little that i didn't need to worry about the pattern wandering off.

On the one piece where I did plane a lot more than I planned on I made sure that I matched the amount taken off on the other side.

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  20. timgman

timgman Senior Member