Freddy's Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Ice812

Ice812 Senior Member

Thank you for part two. I have been waiting for this more then the next episode of The Walking Dead. I might have a few questions but I'm going to watch the video a few times more then post any questions in this thread.

Thank you again for taking the time to do such a thorough, informative, educational thread. This is exactly what I have needed to push me into attempting my first build.

2. lespauldawg

lespauldawg Senior Member

I'm Addicted...need Part 3...Oh, the misery need my fix!

3. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

Awesomely awesome Freddy. Keep 'em coming!

4. archey

archey Senior Member

Another very informative video. I can't help but think that maybe you had me in mind when you mentioned listening to the tap tone of the fingerboard for cracks. Can you describe what the fingerboard sounds like when there is an issue like cracks?

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It's unmistakable Archey. You hear the rattle, the sustain is really short because it kills itself. Believe me, you'll know it when you hear it.
    That's all I was really trying to point out in the tap demonstration....not that I don't think it's a valuable parameter to note, but that if it's anything other than the tones and smooth sustain you heard, something is not right.

6. archey

archey Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. timgman

timgman Senior Member

Superb!

9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I love to watch perfection. Poetry in motion.

Not to go all Mushy on ya Freddy, but it's so nice to see how you work with your dad. And the love that's there as well as his pride on how well you've learned the things he raised his family with, and that paid the way. And now you've taken it further in your own specialized profession. He's quite proud to pass the baton to you. As he should be! These moments are something to cherish forever! :cool:

And.... Are clamp farms legal in that part of Canada. :laugh2:

Always a pleasure! :applause: Thank you!

10. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

I was pretty much going to post the same thing as KP...

Its obviously incredible to watch your attention to detail along with the tools and just general insight you are providing with these videos, but watching you and your father undertake something like this together is really awesome and something I think most of us aspire to do. :thumb:

11. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Nice hookup from Tom and Peter on the templates, binding and inlays :) These are going to be real special, lucky fellas. Also, love seeing your dad lending a hand.

Learning so much from these Freddy, can't wait for the next episode. Thank you :thumb:

12. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Excellent videos Freddy. I went straight out to the shop and sharpened my scrapers. ;-) I'm glad the stars aligned for all of us to meet up like that. Tom and I were down doing some 3d laser scanning and were able to pop over to Freddy's place for some lunch and guitar talk. Thanks again for the hospitality.

Cheers Peter.

13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Speakin as someone that lost my dad 10 years ago and still miss him every day, its just awesome that you can work on this with him. I like seeing him in your videos :)

Id like to ask, why urea formaldehyde as opposed to titebond? Hows the open time on that stuff BTW?

Oh, and Stewmac still sells that burnisher. I just bought one. Thanks for that lesson! :)

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks all!

Skyjerk, urea formaldehyde for zero creep. White and yellow glues (PVA and aliphatic resin) are not immune to thermo-plastic creep.

If it weren't for the open time restriction I would have done it with hot hide glue which also has zero creep. I don't know this for a fact, but I will guess that Gibson opted for using formaldehyde glue for the same reason, that the logistics of using HHG in a production setting might have been problematic.

I also believe that since UF dries so crystalline hard (like HHG) that tonal transmission would be less damped than with a glue line over a very large area that does not cure as hard.

The open time was very long, no problem at all.

Yeah, it's great to be working with my dad. He's loving the guitar building sessions.

15. Skyjerk

Do you use the UF glue for gluing on fretboards and gluing in necks as well or go with one that can release more easily?

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

The maple cap on the mahogany body is a permanent joint. No reason for it ever to be disassembled.

Fretboards and neck joints however may require service. Hot hide glue is the ticket there.

17. Skyjerk

Thanks! Good info. Sounds like I want to be using UF to make the multi-piece laminates for my necks, gluing wings on a neck-through, and gluing on tops. Things that will never need to come apart.

I've shied away from hot hide glue thus far because the short open time intimidates me a bit. Might be time for me to get over that :)

18. Koolaide

Koolaide Member

Another awesome video. Thanks Freddy G. You da man!

Thanks,
    Jim

PS where is part 4? :laugh2:

19. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

I'm not a builder, just a repair guy. But the shop tips that I'm picking up in these vids are invaluable. I hadn't thought to use a stone to put a nice edge on the scrapers before burnishing. Or a reason to use formaldehyde glue vs. others.

And I also love and admire the fact that your dad is a part of your profession in several different ways. You are so fortunate.

20. jeff.longino

jeff.longino Senior Member

All this guitar talk is great and all, but I want to know how cold that room with a entire wall of windows is when its snowing outside.....makes this southern boy shiver:)