Freddy's Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Freddy G, Nov 19, 2016.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Both "scary sharp" and old school experience are both great! :naughty: Contrary to a layman's belief, sharp tools are so much safer and fun to use than dull ones!
    Have Fun With Your Dad!
    Gene

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Not as much fun as working myself... but you're infinitely more skilled and knowledgeable. Thanks very much for taking the time to document and explain your work process. What a resource!

3. Mayuiers

Mayuiers V.I.P. Member

Your video has already helped me! I could never figure out how to plane my halves perfectly flat. The center of my boards would be "proud" just as yours was in the video. Now I know how to resolve that issue.

The lessons your dad gave to you will likely be passed down to other sons and daughters throughout the world. Thank you and your dad for sharing your knowledge so freely and patiently.

4. cjstcustom

cjstcustom Senior Member

5. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

Thanks for the video Freddy. I enjoyed watching it the other night when I was "solo Dad babysitter" for the evening after the kids had gone to bed. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

6. free2rock

free2rock Senior Member

Just what I needed! Thanks Freddy!

7. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Amazingly informative video Freddy. And I too love Exotic Woods, been going there for years for my day job as a general contractor but really fell in love with it once i decide to build a guitar. I feel very lucky to live about 5 minutes away from it, its a blessing and a curse on my wallet.
    Quick question for you Freddy, have you ever used the Mohawk instrument laquer they sell? Ive only built a couple full guitars so far but haven't ventured into nitro yet. I have a build thats apporching the finishing stages (binding and colour) and am looking very forward to the video you post when you tackle that area of your expertise.
    Also do you even attend Exotic Woods guitar day? I would love to see your stuff and meet you in person one day.

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Freddy has a thread he started last year about Mohawk Piano lacquer.

On the strength of that thread I gave it a try and used it on my last 3 builds.

The stuff is great. It's my main nitro now.

9. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Good enough for me im buying some tomorrow. You guys are a terrible influence. And i love it.

10. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I don't know if Mohawk piano lacquer is the same product you were asking about, to be clear.

You called it Mohawk instrument lacquer. If that's the actual name then it's the same brand but not the same product.

This is the one I'm talking about...

[​IMG]

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I used the Mohawk Classic Instrument Lacquer for years. It is great. A fine lacquer that will check through cold cycling.

I gave the "Piano" lacquer a try after they reformulated it and have never looked back. It has a higher solids content and therefore I can do a complete finish with fewer coats and also a shorter wait time before buffing. I think Exotic is still only carrying the classic instrument lacquer....but you can order the piano lacquer from Richelieu online.

12. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Thanks for the tips Freddy.

13. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Awesome Freddy... thanks for taking extra time to do the vid!

14. scimitar

scimitar Senior Member

Interestingly I believe there is always a natural tendency to produce a slightly convex surface and what I learnt (can't remember where from) is that once you have what you believe to be a flat surface you should set the plane as fine as possible and then deliberately try to make the surface concave by concentrating in the middle - so long as you are using a long enough plane finely set you can never actually create a concave surface but you will end up with a flat one. That said if you have the right skills I'm sure you can get it flat without doing this.

15. Open_Book

Open_Book Senior Member

What you are referring to scimitar is making a stop/stopped shaving - its a classic woodworking method. Sadly where I learnt it from (David Charlesworth) theres no demonstration video of it on YT as its on his dvd!, but Chris Tribe demonstrates it well on his YT page - see below.

There is mention of it as an experiment on Charlseworths blog page here...

Chris Schwartz gives it a mention here...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwmuV_NvwkE[/ame]

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks for those links Open_Book.
    Good stuff!

Next video from me in a couple of days. :)

17. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  18. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

thanks Freddy, i have been waiting for this next part

19. Tone_Chaser

Tone_Chaser Senior Member

Yay! Part 2!

20. stratamania

stratamania Junior Member

Excellent, I came across the first video on YouTube, after looking at the Hentor build video.

Great to find a thread on here that supports the videos and that now part two is out.

Subscribed to the thread and the YouTube channel. Looking forward to the rest of the series Freddy, and thanks for making them available. :cheers2: